WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

touche, Elder, AT Traveler, McPick! Whatever it takes for this old fart to stay on the trail, is all that I care about. Don't need to be a superstar to endure and maximize my enjoyment on the road. Preventing edema and blood pooling is a good plan to keep them puppies plodding along. Also the white socks let you see ticks easier. Lyme disease will quickly neutralize all these arguments!

oh and i don't need a dick, either

Registered User Broken Butterfly's Avatar

It will help with circulation and decrease edema if that is a problem. I thought it was a great idea.

PF, I'm not an old old broke dick yet. I'm still a dancin banana. However, I was somewhat ignorant of what caused shin splints and how to PREVENT them through quite a few yrs of largely or only treating the symptoms while engaging in various sports(basketball, tennis, running, high impact aerobics) and backpacking. Incorporating calf compression sleeves, and more importantly reducing my ignorance on how to prevent shin splints in the first place, factored into a combined approach that enabled me to finish my PCT hike which had me sidelined less than 250 miles from finishing at the northern terminus. Since that time I have fewer incidences with shin splints but I do feel less fatigued in my calves at the end of day when I wear the calf compression sleeves on high mileage backpacking days especially if going steeply down hill often or when extensively going down steps even when not having shin splint issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    PF, I'm not an old old broke dick yet. I'm still a dancin banana.
    You, you, you... Braggart!
    When you get to those unexpected situations in life where it’s difficult to figure something out, just ask yourself, “What would MacGyver do?”
    See ya!
    Rickles McPickles

my rocket has died
    gravity has won
    it use to fly straight
    straight towards the sun

now it points down
    towards to ground and the rocks
    so I keep it tucked in
    tucked in my one sock

I've been avoiding not only this thread, but these socks/sleeves. I hate wearin' anything over my calf (except loose fitting gaiters) and was likely the one who started the whole men wearing tennis socks back in the 70's...yeah that was me, tore the little pom poms off too, didn't matter, still got laughed at...don't care, never did. Unfortunately I've had bouts of Edemia that last few years, and will likely end up in a pair of these...@#%&...Balls! but it's better than throwing' a clot and droolin' outta the side of my face while tryin' to tell a joke...So, whatta ya gonna do.

I also started socks with sandals, yep that was me...so freakin' comfortable.

Journal Entries

I have peripheral neuropathy, which means that the nerves in my lower extremities, my legs, no longer work properly. The sheath covering the nerve is gone. This can effect anything from proper circulation, sensation, or edema (due to poor circulation) etc. At first I purchased a medical pair of compression socks but they didn't feel good and they wore out shortly after purchase. So I purchased 6 pairs of just good ol' white Gold Toe brand knees socks. I absolutely love them and would purchase more of them in the future. It doesn't matter since it's the same symptoms but my peripheral neuropathy was acquired as a side effect from taking a medication for my Crohn's. These socks work just as well as a pair of compression socks and they look like plain pair of athletic socks. I've been wondering how that's going to look on the trail but again, that doesn't matter to me, I refuse to wear shorts. The socks are cotton and polyester but I have found that REI, Outdoor and Amazon have compression socks made from merino wool and they are not a bad price either. I'm going to purchase those but I am not ready for those yet. Just an idea that I wanted to throw out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Siarl View Post
    I have peripheral neuropathy, which means that the nerves in my lower extremities, my legs, no longer work properly. The sheath covering the nerve is gone. This can effect anything from proper circulation, sensation, or edema (due to poor circulation) etc. At first I purchased a medical pair of compression socks but they didn't feel good and they wore out shortly after purchase. So I purchased 6 pairs of just good ol' white Gold Toe brand knees socks. I absolutely love them and would purchase more of them in the future. It doesn't matter since it's the same symptoms but my peripheral neuropathy was acquired as a side effect from taking a medication for my Crohn's. These socks work just as well as a pair of compression socks and they look like plain pair of athletic socks. I've been wondering how that's going to look on the trail but again, that doesn't matter to me, I refuse to wear shorts. The socks are cotton and polyester but I have found that REI, Outdoor and Amazon have compression socks made from merino wool and they are not a bad price either. I'm going to purchase those but I am not ready for those yet. Just an idea that I wanted to throw out there.
    ...and a good idea at that, thanks. I'm pretty picky about the socks I wear, and am leaning towards those sleeve things...should it come to that, but have one problem butchering a sock to get the uppers. Interesting, my condition may be from taking a med as well, sucks don't it! fix one thing, break another...sheeesh

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    ...and a good idea at that, thanks. I'm pretty picky about the socks I wear, and am leaning towards those sleeve things...should it come to that, but have No problem butchering a sock to get the uppers. Interesting, my condition may be from taking a med as well, sucks don't it! fix one thing, break another...sheeesh
    No problem...not one problem.

Not a broke dick here (yet), but at 45 I have injuries that pop up - does anyone else have a drawer of tendonitis straps, heel cups, other misc braces? Damnnnn

Anyway - I have compression socks for calf recovery after soccer or trail running. These help a ton!! I'm too cool to actually wear them in public though....it would probably help if I did... Get them!!

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

As a nurse working on her feet for up to 20 hour a day, compression socks were my saving grace. Not only for my legs but my feet as well. Hadn't thought about wearing them on the trail until I saw this but I am definitely going to get a couple of pairs to take with me. Like Dogwood said, anything that will help keep me on the trail a bit longer.
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Well PF, I'm with you on your argument, but not your conclusion.
    Argument- Train your way out of injuries, don't use supportive or corrective devices as a crutch. Do your best to heal your body on your own.
    Conclusion- When it's go time- use any reasonable thing you can get your hands on to make your trip enjoyable.

Florida Mike- Looks like you answered a question I was going to ask the man himself regarding what brand to buy- thanks. Price is reasonable too compared to some of the $90 pairs I've seen the runners tout.

Seems like a no-brainer to me-
    You can wear your skirt (or shorts if that's your deal) and still get good ventilation)
    Sun protection.
    Tick protection.
    Light to moderate skin and shin protection from overgrown trails or mild bushwhacking.
    You can wear any sock you choose, and launder them separately.

AND- it will help with shin splints without resorting to gooey tape or shaving your legs.
    AND- it may (not sure on all the health claims for those WITHOUT a medical issue) help with recovery of calf muscles.

I'm a bit confussed on what's not to like?

Speaking of Broke Dick bums who resort to wearing compression socks-
    mk-shin.jpg
    IMG_6382.JPG

Looks like you are in good company if you choose to wear them.
    Last edited by Just Bill; 08-06-2014 at 10:19.

Just Bill: well said sir, I do regret my earlier comments here probably appeared defensive, and lacked the appropriate WB tact and diplomacy, I didn't wish the forum to digress from the technical discussion of the merits of compression sleeves ... as always you have written to the issue with a more rational tone. They are used by many triathletes as well as hikers. No question that the majority of AT hikers don't use them, and are quite successful in their hikes. It's always smartest to do the proper training, strength, aerobic base building and stretching before hiking. Even with all that training, you see professional athletes in the NBA and NFL using compression sleeves. Waste of money? Not. Happy trails!
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Well PF, I'm with you on your argument, but not your conclusion.
    Argument- Train your way out of injuries, don't use supportive or corrective devices as a crutch. Do your best to heal your body on your own.
    Conclusion- When it's go time- use any reasonable thing you can get your hands on to make your trip enjoyable.

Florida Mike- Looks like you answered a question I was going to ask the man himself regarding what brand to buy- thanks. Price is reasonable too compared to some of the $90 pairs I've seen the runners tout.

Seems like a no-brainer to me-
    You can wear your skirt (or shorts if that's your deal) and still get good ventilation)
    Sun protection.
    Tick protection.
    Light to moderate skin and shin protection from overgrown trails or mild bushwhacking.
    You can wear any sock you choose, and launder them separately.

AND- it will help with shin splints without resorting to gooey tape or shaving your legs.
    AND- it may (not sure on all the health claims for those WITHOUT a medical issue) help with recovery of calf muscles.

I'm a bit confussed on what's not to like?

Speaking of Broke Dick bums who resort to wearing compression socks-
    mk-shin.jpg
    IMG_6382.JPG

Looks like you are in good company if you choose to wear them.

Mr. Mike- fairly sure any errors in diplomacy, tact, or judgment did not originate from you.

I say "fairly sure" as that is the tactful and diplomatic way to state it. You're right, I am swell at that.

Still suck at attaching pics though. That's Mr. Kirk, wearing the very sleeves you suggested.

I suck at tact and a lot of people seem to call me names I wonder if there's a correlation

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    I suck at tact and a lot of people seem to call me names I wonder if there's a correlation
    LOL LMAO That was a well played escape.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    Wait, I'd like to field this one..."What a bunch a Morons"

...I love your honesty...honestly!

...oh, and the all popular..."Kumbyfreakin' yah"

I'd like to delete my post but do not see a way to do it...

Here are my thoughts about compression socks. Take it for what it is worth.
    After having two surgeries on my left ankle and being a teacher who is on my feet all day, they help me.
    I received many gifts from these surgeries, one was a left ankle that will not stop swelling. If I'm in a car for a long period of time I use them. When I overdo it hiking wise I use them. When I know that I'm going to be beat down at work I use them.
    They work to prevent swelling, and my feet feels better.
    I use CEP up to the knee compression socks. If they come up to the ankle, you are not getting the full benefit of them. They come in many different degrees of compression. I use 20-30 percent. Here is info that may be helpful A: Compression socks rated at 8-15 mmHg are considered mild and are useful for pain relief and swelling reduction. Medium compression socks (15-20 mmHg) help stop the development of varicose veins. The next step up after medium is firm compression socks (20-30 mmHg).
    So when comparing socks keep the above in mind. 2xu makes pretty good ones as well.
    Hope this information helps. BTW, anything it takes to keep moving, it is funny to make snide comments until it happens to you. Not an old fart, one that just got a hold of a bad surgeon.
    floyd

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++