WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Do you live near the trail?

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Guess it depends on which trail we're talking about. I'm about 2 hours from the CDT.

'Slogger
    AT 2003
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

I grew up a few miles from the AT in SW VA, then lived in Asheville for a few years. Now I'm waaaaay too far away from the green, but I've got the CDT to tide me over, I suppose.

Default Now you got the GET!

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Creek
    I grew up a few miles from the AT in SW VA, then lived in Asheville for a few years. Now I'm waaaaay too far away from the green, but I've got the CDT to tide me over, I suppose.
    Grand Enchantment Trail

Thanks, Sly! How is it that I've never heard of this trail? I can't say the destination is all that great (Phoenix, blech!), but I'm liking the looks of that route.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Creek
    Thanks, Sly! How is it that I've never heard of this trail? I can't say the destination is all that great (Phoenix, blech!), but I'm liking the looks of that route.
    It just got invented.

Much like the Hayduke Trail, Blisterfree scoped out the route over a couple years and thru-hiked it this year. My understanding is that it's composed mostly of various trails and forest service roads with decent distances between resupply. He promises to write a guidebook soon. If you have any question just email Brett through his website.

Images

Thumbs up Still not close enough...

I live in Maryland, but I've never touched the trail here. I always go to PA or NJ to hit the trail. Believe it or not, they're closer to me than the MD section of the trail, it's a 3 hour drive as opposed to a 6 hour drive to get to the trail.

Wow, I used the word trail alot did'nt I?
    Last edited by Buckingham; 08-11-2005 at 00:10.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

I'm about 45 miles from Fontana, about 35 miles from a trail that is a 5 or 6 mile hike to Russell Field or Spence Field, and about 60 miles from where the AT goes under I-40 after leaving the GSMNP.

Draggin Dragon
    Journal Entries

I live about 100yds off of trail in cheshire MAssachusetts

Images

Talking

i'm about ten minutes from gravel springs in SNP.

Hey Guys you are so lucky, I live in the frozen wastes of North Yorkshire in England though I have some awesome hiking within a couple of hours drive in any direction of my house and should not complain. After Thru Hiking last year I can't wait to cross the pond again wife or divorce willing.
    Great Trail, Great People and fantastic experience.

The General

Images

Well as amazing as it may seem I live in two places and both are near the AT. I spend most of my time between May and October in Maine on S.Twin Lake with a view of Katahdin from my bed. In winter I'm in Egremont in W. Mass. I like to day hike sections of the trail in MA and ME although my current goal is to hike every peak in Baxter Park more than once. If the weather is good I'm day hiking Katahdin this Saturday.
    My son's class at school have hiked a section of the AT in Mass each year. I've been on most of them over 7 years. This year they finish their 8th grade year with the last 30 miles from Dalton to the VT border.

Images

Am I the only Floridian answering this poll? If I leave straight from work and drive all night, I can be anywhere on the trail between Roan Mountain and Springer by the next AM. I'll take a nap 5 miles down the trail and then I'm alright. It's worth driving all night!

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Buckingham
    I live in Maryland, but I've never touched the trail here. I always go to PA or NJ to hit the trail. Believe it or not, they're closer to me than the MD section of the trail, it's a 3 hour drive as opposed to a 6 hour drive to get to the trail.

Wow, I used the word trail alot did'nt I?
    If you're in Perryville, then it's only 90 minutes to the AT crossing outside of Frederick (depending on traffic of course). It's about 2 hours to Duncannon, and 2.5 hours to Delaware Water Gap. Of course, I drive at a pace similar to my hiking.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

We are 2+ hours to Baxter St. Park and Katahdin, took family hiking there when kids were young. Unbelieveable good fortune.Moved here from MA as soon as college was over.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Bait II
    Am I the only Floridian answering this poll? If I leave straight from work and drive all night, I can be anywhere on the trail between Roan Mountain and Springer by the next AM. I'll take a nap 5 miles down the trail and then I'm alright. It's worth driving all night!
    I am in South South Florida and it's 12 Hours North to the AT, hence my forum name. That is 12 hours I don't minding driving.

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

I live just north ATL, and I can be on top of Springer within two hours. The same can be said of Woody Gap, Neels Gap, Unicoi Gap, and Dick's Creek Gap. It's awesome to be so close for training purposes. I'll be up that way this Saturday with the wife!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs
    I'm about 45 miles from Fontana, about 35 miles from a trail that is a 5 or 6 mile hike to Russell Field or Spence Field, and about 60 miles from where the AT goes under I-40 after leaving the GSMNP.
    i used to live right across the river from you, near bluegrass lake... now i'm 11 hours away... not many great hikes in the area, but i have yet to go north and explore the ozarks... but thanksgiving is coming, and it might be a good time...

used to take me 45 minutes to get to the head of the middle prong trailhead, past the smokey mountain institute at tremont... i miss it.

I'm 55 miles from the AT crossing at the Long Falls Dam Rd. near Stratton. Whenever we grouse about the "long drive", we try to remember all the rest of the country....!
    V8
    V8
    -lyk2hyk

Another Floridian checking in. 8 hour drive to Neel's Gap, GA. A little less to Springer.

I stay off the Interstates. Too many crazy drivers. A little slower on US 441 (and 129 after Athens), but much calmer!

Default Is 3 1/2 hrs close???

I drive about 30-40 minutes to work, so I consider the 3 1/2 hour trip to Pearisburg close.
    :p April

Planning for GA <> ME Thruhike April 2006!!

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++