WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Reds Meadow

Default Reds Meadow

Can anyone tell me about Reds Meadow? I'd like to do only one food drop (John Muir Ranch), and I'm hoping the general store at Reds can feed me. I'm not picky. Also - canister fuel?

Thx

Frizzle

They had lots of canister fuel last year around Labor Day and the store had a decent selection of food. I sent a box to Red's which charges $35 to hold the box but in retrospect I would have been far better off improvising with what they had in the store for the few days between Reds and MTR. Also you can always take the shuttle bus to Mammoth for a full grocery store.

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

Frizzle, my man. If it's between paying $35 to hold a resupply box or trying to scrape a few days of food from the shelves before Muir Ranch, I would take the latter. Just be ready for it to not be a great selection, as far as hiker food goes. I'd compare the selection of actual hiker-feasible food they have to that of an average sized gas station; you might be eating the same few things on repeat. But at the very least, you can stuff your face at the café next to the store and make half a day on the town food fuel alone. And you can bus to Mammoth and the enormous Vons and tons of great restaurants (zpizza, Roberto's) for $7 round trip.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Ah thanks all, exactly what I wanted to hear. Pumped to get outside.

Scrubs - congrats on the PCT man. Hoping life takes me there soon.

I second the recommendation for the Red's Meadow Cafe. The $35 saved on not sending them a package is better spent on a huge meal, shower and laundry.

Journal Entries
    Images

I 2nd the trip into ML!! That's what I also am planning. I'Then a drop at VVR only 1.5 days from MTR, so I'll skip a drop at MTR but bounce in & browse the buckets, then my last resupply which I'm on the fence about is heading into Independence from Onion Valley in hopes of find a by grocery store.
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

++ New Posts ++