WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default 22 Days on the White Dot Trail

Okay boys, I just got back from a long backpacking trip into the Wilson Creek area of Pisgah NF and here's the trip report. Most of the trip was on the MST.

To see all the pics from the trip go here---

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpa...sgah-Holyland/

22 DAYS
    INTO THE
    PISGAH HOLYLAND

TRIP 157
    June 27--July 18 2014

HIGHLIGHTS

** 22 DAYS IN THE PISGAH HOLYLAND

** 30TH ANNIVERSARY PISGAH TRIP 1984-2014

** DRIVING INTO BLACK MOUNTAIN NC

** AMY WILLOW HIKES ME INTO UPPER CREEK

** MY FIRST NIGHT IN THE PISGAH HOLYLAND SINCE 2006

** A NIGHT IN BURNT SOCK CAMP ON UPPER CREEK

** DANGEROUS HIGH WATER ON UPPER CREEK

** ON THE MOUNTAINS TO SEA TRAIL

** RAIDERS CAMP CREEK TRAIL

** HARPER CREEK TRAIL

** ENDLESS SWIMS

** HUNTFISH FALLS AND LOST COVE CREEK

** GRAGG PRONG TRAIL

** MEETING MST THRUHIKER HEATHER HOUSEKEEPER

** 15 DAYS ON THE WHITE DOT TRAIL

** TIMBER RIDGE TRAIL

** PATMAN MEETS ME ON TIMBER RIDGE

** LOST COVE CREEK TRAIL

** LITTLE LOST COVE FALLS

** ALL DAY WITH PATMAN AT HUNTFISH FALLS

** FRIENDLY VANESSA AND DALLAS ON LOST COVE CREEK

** CHESTNUT COVE BRANCH FALLS

** NORTH HARPER CREEK FALLS

** THE NUT CLIMB UP SOUTH HARPER CREEK FALLS

** 22 DAYS GETTING NOSEEUM BIT

** 13 DAYS ON UPPER CREEK

** IN THE STEELS CREEK CANYON

** JACOB AND HIS VENTURE WILDERNESS GROUP

** AMY POPS IN ON A FRIDAY DAYHIKE

** 6 YELLOW JACKET STINGS

** THE GREENTOWN SHORTCUT IS FOUND

** 10 RALEIGH DAYHIKERS PASS THRU PISGAH CAMP

** TRAIL 268A CLEARED

** FIRST TIME BACKPACKED THE GREENTOWN SHORTCUT

** THE PINE RIDGE 255 LOOP TO RAIDER CAMP

** THE ASU OUTDOOR PROGRAM GROUP

** AMY ARRIVES ON DAY 21 AND STAYS IN PISGAH CAMP

** ALL DAY RAIN ON DAY 22 BUT WE LEAVE

TRAILS
    Entrance FS Road 197/Greentown Trail 268A
    **Burnthouse/Pisgah Camp**
    Upper Creek Extension
    **Burnt Sock Camp on Upper Creek**
    Upper Creek Extension/Mountains to Sea
    **Greentown Camps**
    Greentown East/Greentown North
    Raider Camp
    **Blue Dot Camp**
    Raider Camp
    Harper Creek
    **Harper/North Harper Jct Camp**
    Harper Creek
    North Harper
    North Harper Access 266A
    FS Roadwalk 464
    Huntfish Falls Access 263
    Lost Cove Creek
    Gragg Prong
    **Beaverdam Camp on Upper Gragg Prong**
    Gragg Prong/Road 981
    Timber Ridge 261
    **False Bee Mt Camp**
    Timber Ridge
    Lost Cove Creek
    Huntfish Falls
    **Grand Camp Huntfish Falls**
    Huntfish Falls Access
    Road 464
    North Harper Access
    North Harper
    **North Harper Falls Camp**
    North Harper
    Harper Creek
    South Harper Falls
    Raider Camp
    **Blue Dot Camp**
    Raider Camp
    Greentown
    Greentown Extension
    **Burnthouse/Pisgah Camp**(2)
    Upper Creek
    Greentown to Highway 181
    **Greentown Creek Camp**
    Greentown to Highway 181
    FS Road 496
    Steels Creek/MST
    **Steels Top O The Canyon Camp**
    Steels Creek/MST
    FS Road 496
    Greentown/Extension
    **Burnthouse/Pisgah Camp**(3)
    Greentown Shortcut
    Greentown/MST
    FS Road 198
    Pine Ridge Connector 255A
    Pine Ridge 255
    Raider Camp
    **Raider/Harper Creek Jct**
    Raider Camp
    **Blue Dot**
    Raider Camp
    Greentown/MST
    Greentown Shortcut
    **Burnthouse/Pisgah Camp**(2)

My trip begins by driving to Asheville and leaving my car at Amy Willow's house for 3 weeks and getting a shuttle from her to Morganton and north to Upper Creek and into the Pisgah Holyland. On the first day she hikes me in and cooks up dinner as I struggle into camp with my 85lb pack.

This map shows my starting point to the east and northeast of highway 181. The top red trail line is the MST but I start on Trail 268A and connect the two.

I spend 3 days camping at different spots on Upper Creek as daily rains keep me from pulling the two crossings to the MST. Here is a typical Pisgah swimhole.

The double white dots depict the MST Upper Creek crossing which has to be done to head north.

I finally get on the MST/Greentown trail which takes me to Raider Camp trail and "Blue Dot Camp" which overlooks the 200 foot waterfall of South Harper Creek Falls.

Raider Camp takes me to Harper Creek and North Harper Creek (all part of the MST) which takes me past Bard Falls above.

North Harper Creek takes me to the upward access trail to FS road 464 and a half mile later I'm at the Huntfish Falls access trail a mile down to the falls.

I pass by Huntfish Falls and head up Gragg Prong to camp and run into Heather Housekeeper, who says "Outer Banks" when I ask where she is coming from. Yup, she's hiking the whole MST. Here web blog can be found here---

http://www.thebotanicalhiker.blogspot.com/

After I pull Gragg Prong I get off the MST on the Timber Ridge trail where I meet my backpacking buddy Patman and he joins me for 4 days. Here we are crossing Lost Cove Creek.

As we hoof it down Lost Cove Creek we pull a sidetrail on difficult slippery tread to Little Lost Cove Falls, as shown.

Lost Cove Creek puts us back out at Huntfish Falls where we spend all day swimming. Brandi and Leo are up on the rock.

After camping at Huntfish Falls, Patman and I tackle North Harper Creek trail all the way to North Harper Falls which has a great campsite right below the falls.

On Day 10 it's time to say goodbye to Patman as he takes off on Trail 239 while I stay on North Harper Creek and south.

I return to Upper Creek and spend a couple days exploring the "secret" canyon gorge.

A couple days later I leave Upper Creek and swing up the MST to highway 181 and head down to Steels Creek where I camp and discover yet another creek canyon gorge replete with awesome swimming holes.

As I backtrack out of Steels Creek I run into my second Venture UNC-Charlotte backpacking group going down into Steels.

I return to my favorite camp on Upper Creek and get a surprise dayhike visit from Amy Willow as she sports in the big swimhole next to camp.

I leave Upper Creek and take FS 198 to a big loop system called Pine Ridge/Phillips Branch and end up on Harper Creek again. On my way back to Upper on the Greentown/MST I run into these girls from Appalachian State pulling an Outdoor Program trip.

My last couple days are spent on Upper Creek waiting for Amy to pick me up and so I do some trail work on 268A and stop at Rattlesnake Rock for a pic.

On Day 21 Amy backpacks into Pisgah Camp on Upper Creek and we get caught in an all day rainstorm on our last day so I invite her into my tent to cook breakfast with her new fancy Esbit stove.

Amy's little Esbit stove which works pretty good.

On the last day we have no choice but to pack up in an all-day rain and book it out 3 miles to Amy's car. And so ends another trip.

Wow, that Secret Creek Canyon looks like really spectacular place to poke around a play, must have been lots a water that flowed there one day. Thanks for the photolog, very nice!

Does the name "Ripshin Ridge" give any indication as to the sharpness of the rock or it's good purchase?

This is Upper Creek on Day 2 after an all-night rain and it's impassable but if you wait 12 hours it's okay.

30 years ago we used to hike up Ripshin Creek which is a true hell slog but as far as the creek crossings go (and there are many many of them in Pisgah), the creek beds in Pisgah are sandy and so the crossings are MUCH EASIER than in the Citico or Cohutta or Slickrock. I never worried about slipping like I did in the Cit/Slick.

Another great trip report by Tippi. THX much from this current keytapper cyber hiker. You aptly demonstrate "seeing what there is to see."

“There are two basic motivating forces: fear and love. When we are afraid, we pull back from life. When we are in love, we open to all that life has to offer with passion, excitement, and acceptance. We need to learn to love ourselves first, in all our glory and our imperfections. If we cannot love ourselves, we cannot fully open to our ability to love others or our potential to create. Evolution and all hopes for a better world rest in the fearlessness and open-hearted vision of people who embrace life.” — John Lennon

I see you Tippi in John Lennon's quote. Guess in which camp I see you.

Great pics Tippi.No doubt you have seen more of Gods beautiful creation than most will ever see.
    Grey Ghost

I sure appreciate a university or college that gives you class credits for hiking like Appalachian State, Oregon State, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I sure appreciate a university or college that gives you class credits for hiking like Appalachian State, Oregon State, etc
    One school my Daughter is looking at Bloomsberg University in PA. also has a outdoors adventure program. We took a tour there not long ago, pretty nice place, they do lots of hikes on the AT...hope she'd take advantage of that should she decide to go there, been a little tough to get that one out though, just not her thing.

Images

Had I done my college research in high school a little better, I would have like to have gone to Appalachian state.....

i really enjoy their campus and location....

however, not sure if that school would have turned me into the deadhead that I am.....

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    Had I done my college research in high school a little better, I would have like to have gone to Appalachian state.....

i really enjoy their campus and location....

however, not sure if that school would have turned me into the deadhead that I am.....
    what kind is that? is Appalachia State uber conservative?

Walter, for what ever reason, the "blue dot camp" photo is really throwin' me, I can't tell if it's a shear face, quartz vien, waterfall, or and old tree with gin...or all of thee above, what am I seeing at there?

Images

Don't know that...

just meant that when I arrived at the college I went to, literally in the first day I was on campus---this hardcore punker was taken under some older students wings and they turned me on to the wonder of the Grateful Dead..

my life has never, and in a good way, been the same since.......

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    Don't know that...

just meant that when I arrived at the college I went to, literally in the first day I was on campus---this hardcore punker was taken under some older students wings and they turned me on to the wonder of the Grateful Dead..

my life has never, and in a good way, been the same since.......
    Sweet! know the feelin' well.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Walter, for what ever reason, the "blue dot camp" photo is really throwin' me, I can't tell if it's a shear face, quartz vien, waterfall, or and old tree with gin...or all of thee above, what am I seeing at there?
    You are 300 feet above a 200 foot waterfall, basically . . .

Check out---

http://www.jdvstudio.com/Photography...rperCreek.html

ahhh, I see it now...thanks Walter Cool picture, now go back to bed.

I can't believe Walter just ran all the way there to trim that tree...nice job! that's some dedication.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I can't believe Walter just ran all the way there to trim that tree...nice job! that's some dedication.
    It's a scary spot for us feeble over-sixty folks who prefer to stay on the ground and not get airborne, and it's probably not a place for kids---the overlook that is. But when I first saw the view I thought of flying down to the creek.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++