WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Why in the world this is still only being considered a lost person case and not foul play investigation is beyond me! I believe there comes a time when people need answers, and people need closure. How many thru hikers have ever just "dissappeared"? I think about....1. How does a person just vanish for a year and authorities dont take that as more than a missing person...baffles me, but I could be out of line, sorry if I am.
    How would it change the method of investigation if they "considered" it to be foul play? As far as I know there hasn't been any evidence of foul play, but I'm not fully informed. I used to be a police officer (full disclosure) and at this point I can't see what they would do differently unless some more evidence is discovered.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

IDK exactly...:/ Possibly new resources, people of different departments working on the case.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I still don't get why most people need "closure". To me, when it is clear that someone is no longer with us, knowing exactly how they died (and where their body resides) is somewhat macabre. That's not to say that we shouldn't search, but I'm not the type of person to hang on and hope either.

Kerosene - no one here is holding out hope. I'm certain though that the family would like answers, along with bringing their mother home. Maybe "closure" in this case is just that - closing the case.

As far as whether this is a missing person vs. foul play search, I'm not sure Gambit that we really fully know what has been done and what is currently being done in terms of the investigation. I can say that there are aspects to the investigation that have taken place "off trail" so to speak. But, if you think about it, how can the authorities (be it wardens, state police, etc.) say "this is a case of foul play" when there is no evidence to that effect. Until a body has been discovered and a possible "crime scene" thoroughly processed, nothing can be done. What IF she really did simply walk away from her life? (Which btw, I don't believe for one nano-second, but 'what if'?) The simple fact that she is missing does not make a case of foul play - as much as we may all feel that in our bones, we have no cold, hard facts to back that up.
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post
    How would it change the method of investigation if they "considered" it to be foul play? As far as I know there hasn't been any evidence of foul play, but I'm not fully informed. I used to be a police officer (full disclosure) and at this point I can't see what they would do differently unless some more evidence is discovered.
    inferring from warren's post (#98)...who conducts the investigation would change based on how the investigation is perceived/labeled. this is an interesting, and perhaps unfortunate, theory. its certainly worth exploring for the family's sake.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

I have followed this case for over a year, reading every post on several threads. Gerry was very experienced, having hiked from Harper's Ferry northbound, and she took no unnecessary risks. I believe she had medical training as a nurse. If she suffered a medical emergency requiring a trip to the ER, she was in too remote of an area to get to an ER in time ... it would be wiser to wait for help from another hiker passing by. [There were NOBOs and SOBOs in that area at that time of the year.] If she suffered a medical emergency that incapacitated her, she would be found close to the trail. It is unlikely an experienced hiker would stray far from the trail and become lost. Not a trace of her after a year. Very mysterious indeed!
    136 contiguous miles of MD + rocky PA-AT down, but 2042 miles to go

Images

[QUOTE=Turtle Feet;1902169]Kerosene - no one here is holding out hope. I'm certain though that the family would like answers, along with bringing their mother home. Maybe "closure" in this case is just that - closing the case.

Since she or nor any contents of her pack have been found, it appears she was not in the areas searched. If she passed may she rest in peace, however if she was abducted and held captive, she may very well be still alive, stranger things have happened. Until a body is recovered, I for one, still of have hope. It may not be rational but it is still there.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    I still don't get why most people need "closure". To me, when it is clear that someone is no longer with us, knowing exactly how they died (and where their body resides) is somewhat macabre. That's not to say that we shouldn't search, but I'm not the type of person to hang on and hope either.
    Closure is not about holding on to hope, it's about the unknown becoming more "known". It's a natural thing for people to fear the unknown versus knowing the worst thing possible. Closure is about knowing something versus knowing nothing. It gives the mind a rest. I guess my question is why do people get upset or disturbed by others needing closure? If it's not necessarily disturbing for some, then that 'some' really shouldn't worry about it. Some people need closure, others do not. I guess life is similar to the hike... HYOH.

So relax, let those who need it, have their closure if they seek it. And hope and pray for them that need it. Be glad and grateful that all is right in your world. Have compassion for those whose world is not so fortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by Siarl View Post
    Closure is not about holding on to hope, it's about the unknown becoming more "known". It's a natural thing for people to fear the unknown versus knowing the worst thing possible. Closure is about knowing something versus knowing nothing. It gives the mind a rest. I guess my question is why do people get upset or disturbed by others needing closure? If it's not necessarily disturbing for some, then that 'some' really shouldn't worry about it. Some people need closure, others do not. I guess life is similar to the hike... HYOH.

So relax, let those who need it, have their closure if they seek it. And hope and pray for them that need it. Be glad and grateful that all is right in your world. Have compassion for those whose world is not so fortunate.
    nice. sounds right

i spent a week one afternoon in Terlingua

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    nice. sounds right

i spent a week one afternoon in Terlingua
    Wonderful! When was that? There are some wonderful desert trails here in the Big Bend region that will be good preparation for a thru-hike. I hope you enjoyed your time here in Terlingua and the Big Bend area. It's a very unique area and I've lived here for six years now and I love every minute of it.

Abduction is not a wild contention, but a real plausible explanation. No one will know what happened until she is found.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    While I don't share your belief, I think the nature of things is such that were the authorities to have had any similar thoughts, we would not likely hear about them.

The narrative is always that the trail is near 100% safe from evil, but memories are short. Of those who would call your judgement into question, how many will even remember the murder of 52 year old Louise Chaput who was killed while hiking alone not far from Pinkham notch in the Whites not so long ago?

Or how the authorities would only say that Scott Lilly's death was "suspicious" until forced by state law to declare it a homicide exactly 6 months after his partially buried body was found.

In this case, I think you are very wrong -- I am sure you will admit that you have absolutely zero evidence to support your wild contention -- but unfortunately the lack of candor from authorities in other tragic events means that we cannot really trust them to share their own honest assessment here or anywhere. Too bad.
    Just ignore it

Images

IDK exactly...:/ Possibly new resources, people of different departments working on the case.
    Right now all possibilities are open. A missing person case would necessarily include foul play, but also other possibilities. Saying it is foul play would narrow the investigation. It would eliminate rather than expand the investigation.

Images

I didn't mean "eliminate." Just narrow the focus. I'm baby sitting this AM.

I didnt mean to narrow the search ONLY to foul play but moreso brauden it to consider this. And although a year has past look at the Ohio castro decade long kidnapping, she could still be alive. And I believe that due to nothing being found, short of her having on onset of dimensia while on her hike, I dont think she just wondered off into the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Siarl View Post
    Wonderful! When was that? There are some wonderful desert trails here in the Big Bend region that will be good preparation for a thru-hike. I hope you enjoyed your time here in Terlingua and the Big Bend area. It's a very unique area and I've lived here for six years now and I love every minute of it.
    back in 98. was travelin' cross country. found Terlingua. hung out at the saloon and played horseshoes

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    back in 98. was travelin' cross country. found Terlingua. hung out at the saloon and played horseshoes
    Not to be rude but lets keep this thread on topic and about Gerry.

If I ever go missing on the AT no need to search nor needless conversations about what happened you know the **** has hit the fan so just lift your glasses and say RED-DOG was a good fellow and let it be. Total respect for the deceased.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    I'm kind of with you - the interest does seem a trifle macabre. And don't tell me that I'd feel differently if I were a family member, because my family has a similar story to tell. Wesley Meserole, the subject of the article in the third column of this old newspaper, was my step-grandfather. In his time, just wanting to hike would have been seen as dangerously unbalanced - hiking wasn't recognized as a pursuit. So he'd take a rifle or a fishing rod with him on his wanderings. If you replace 'hunter' with 'hiker' you get a similar story to Inchworm's.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Journal Entries
    Images

I didnt mean to narrow the search ONLY to foul play but moreso brauden it to consider this. And although a year has past look at the Ohio castro decade long kidnapping, she could still be alive.
    Or look down the road to Gorham, NH.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/201...BZJ/story.html

Like most (all?) similar cases, those missing were young people, however. Not a 66 year old woman-- the distinction is significant.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
++ New Posts ++