WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries

Plus its double duty - when not in use as a headnet, one can use this as a stuff sack.. and it weighs practically nothing

Quote Originally Posted by DLP View Post
    I just got back from Sequoia Nat'l Park. I was told picking up my permit that the mosquitos were a 7 out of 10. I would have given it a 7 at one creek and a 2 the rest of the time.

My son and husband HATE mosquitoes and would have given it a 7.

How "bad" mosquitoes are is VERY subjective and one person will wear a head net and another will not even notice the mosquitoes.

Mosquito nets are so light... you can bring it... and if you don't use it... oh well. But in late Aug. early Sept... I don't think I'd bring one.

Journal Entries

my answers in red below

Quote Originally Posted by Turk6177 View Post
    1. I plan on thru-hiking the JMT starting the last week in August. How are the water sources this year? What do you think could be the longest stretch (either time wise or distance) without water?
    Carry 2-3 liters at the time at most. Check Eric the black maps for resupply locations.

2. For those that have hiked the GA section of the AT, if I averaged 12-14 miles a day there, do you have any idea what kind of mileage I might average on the JMT? I know it is hard to compare terrain, but if you did both, maybe you could give me some input to help me plan the number of days food I might need.

3. I would like to park in Tuolumne meadows and take the bus to start at Yosemite Valley. I believe there is long term parking there. I would like to do my first resupply out of my car at the meadows, starting with only 3 days of food. Considering the public transportation, does this plan seem plausible? Is it easy to get around with the busses from Lone Pine back to the meadows after the hike?

4. Does anyone hang their bear canisters in a tree to prevent the bears from getting to them in the first place (PCT method)?
    No need. Just secure it between rocks or in the bushes somewhere.. Make sure ground is relatively flat (so canister wont roll away)

5. Are the mosquitoes bad enough to consider packing a head net?

6. Going SOBO, is there an easy resupply point anywhere after Muir Trail Ranch? I was considering stashing a box of food at the Onion Trailhead, but have been debating which would be better, carrying all my food to make it to the end from MTR or hiking the extra 8 miles (round trip) to the Onion Trailhead to resupply (which basically adds a day to my hike).

7. Is there a place to recharge batteries/phones, etc. at Muir Trail Ranch? Is one of those solar backpack chargers worth the extra weight or would something more like an IMP extended battery be more ideal. I would hate to have my camera battery go dead when I need it most.

8. How much do the businesses at Red's Meadows and Muir Trail Ranch charge to receive and hold a resupply parcel for you? Can you get alcohol at both places for an alcohol stove or are canisters for canister stoves easier to come by?

Red''s Meadows - $35
    http://www.redsmeadow.com/pdf/PackagePickUp.pdf

Yes to Alcohol at MTR. Maybe @ TM
    MTR - $65. http://www.muirtrailranch.com/resupply.html

9. Lastly, while some people like the solitude of hiking alone, which I do enjoy periodically, I also enjoy the social aspect of meeting new people and creating new friendships. How populated is the trail during this time of year (late Aug-early Sept)? Do hiker "pods" frequently form or are most people pretty much solo out there when they camp? (I will probably get ridiculed for asking such a question that there are a million different answers to, but I would like to hear other's experiences)
    pretty popular.

I am sure I will have a lot more questions, but if anyone can help me get some of these answers it will put me another step forward in my planning. Thanks in advance for any knowledge you can pass on to me. I have Erik The Black's JMT Atlas and some Tom Harrison maps on their way to me. I will probably carry both of those when I hike. I also have Elizabeth Wenk's book John Muir Trail: The Essential Guide to Hiking America's Most Famous Trail. I figure between those and the insight of the other hikers from Whiteblaze I should be able to get this trip planned.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

1. I plan on thru-hiking the JMT starting the last week in August. How are the water sources this year? What do you think could be the longest stretch (either time wise or distance) without water?
    Last year was a drought year and I had no issues in early August, but can't comment on this year.

2. For those that have hiked the GA section of the AT, if I averaged 12-14 miles a day there, do you have any idea what kind of mileage I might average on the JMT? I know it is hard to compare terrain, but if you did both, maybe you could give me some input to help me plan the number of days food I might need.
    The terrain on 95% of the JMT is actually pretty easy...the trail is graded very nicely for most of it's length. The biggest thing that will get you is the altitude. I recommend acclimitizing before starting.

3. I would like to park in Tuolumne meadows and take the bus to start at Yosemite Valley. I believe there is long term parking there. I would like to do my first resupply out of my car at the meadows, starting with only 3 days of food. Considering the public transportation, does this plan seem plausible? Is it easy to get around with the busses from Lone Pine back to the meadows after the hike?
    You'd have to take 2 different buses to get back to TM from Lone Pine. You'd have to take the CREST bus from Lone Pine to Lee Vining and then the YARTS bus from there back into the park. You'll have to look at the bus schedules to see how this works out...it may require staying in Lee Vining one night.

4. Does anyone hang their bear canisters in a tree to prevent the bears from getting to them in the first place (PCT method)?
    No, that's one of the points of the bear can. Just set it somewhere away from camp where it can't be easily rolled away.

5. Are the mosquitoes bad enough to consider packing a head net?
    They weren't bad for me at all, but this is totally dependant on the year.

6. Going SOBO, is there an easy resupply point anywhere after Muir Trail Ranch? I was considering stashing a box of food at the Onion Trailhead, but have been debating which would be better, carrying all my food to make it to the end from MTR or hiking the extra 8 miles (round trip) to the Onion Trailhead to resupply (which basically adds a day to my hike).
    I didn't do this so my only comment is that it will add a day...10 days of food (that's what I carried) out of MTR was dang heavy though. If I do it again I'll seriously consider the Onion Valley re-supply.

7. Is there a place to recharge batteries/phones, etc. at Muir Trail Ranch? Is one of those solar backpack chargers worth the extra weight or would something more like an IMP extended battery be more ideal. I would hate to have my camera battery go dead when I need it most.
    Yes, even if just picking up a bucket they have a "re-charging station" (i.e. a surge protector in a Rubbermaid tote).

8. How much do the businesses at Red's Meadows and Muir Trail Ranch charge to receive and hold a resupply parcel for you? Can you get alcohol at both places for an alcohol stove or are canisters for canister stoves easier to come by?
    Look them up online. Last year it was $35 for Red's and $55 for MTR plus shipping (it was over $60 to ship my bucket). Note that it's easy to go into Mammoth if you want to get off trail for an evening earlier on in the hike. If you do that you can send yourself a resupply to the Mammoth Post Office and save the $35 for Red's to pick it up for you...there's a Motel 6 next to the post office for lodging. As for canisters and alcohol I can only comment on the canisters as alcohol stoves were banned when I went. I found canisters at TM, Red's and MTR.

9. Lastly, while some people like the solitude of hiking alone, which I do enjoy periodically, I also enjoy the social aspect of meeting new people and creating new friendships. How populated is the trail during this time of year (late Aug-early Sept)? Do hiker "pods" frequently form or are most people pretty much solo out there when they camp? (I will probably get ridiculed for asking such a question that there are a million different answers to, but I would like to hear other's experiences)
    From my observations due to the relatively short length of the hike you'd probably have to change your speed to stay with other people unless you just happened to start with someone going the same speed. I was out there 3 weeks on my hike and only saw a couple of people more than once.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Reds Meadow will let you drop your bucket off at the General Store and keep it there for $1/day. I will be doing that since I'm driving up from Los Angeles, and Mammoth is on the way to Yosemite. No choice but to send my bucket vis USPS Priority mail to MTR. It costs me $13.80 so I got off easy there. Their $65 handling fee is outrageous but there's not really any other option. I guess it's expensive to feed mules....

Food has to be in a bear can.

I heard the mosquitos are bad this year so I'm taking a mosquito headnet. It's made by Sea To Summit and treated with Insect-Shield. It only weighs 21.4 g and smells like Indian food because it's was in my bear can for the last 5 months (with Indian food).

I've heard that MTR will allow you to use their strip plug to charge stuff. I'm also taking my Goal Zero Nomad 7 and Adventure 10 battery pack with 8 AA batteries. I'll also be taking 2 extra camera batteries and charger.

We are going SOBO and will be resupplying at Reds, MTR and Vidette Meadow where a friend is going to hike in with our last drop. We're planning on being out for 19 days starting on August 20.

Maybe we'll see you out there! Happy hiking!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++