WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Battery Packs

Default Battery Packs

Looking for a battery pack (not a solar charger) to keep my phone and camera charged. Any recommendations?

Journal Entries
    Images

I use the Radio Shack ones. The 4000mAh (4.4 oz w/ cord) gives me juice for phone/camera/iPod for about 2-3 days of heavy use (using GPS, track recording, etc). The 6000mAh (6.1 oz w/ cord) lasted 4 days with heavy use.

I remember paying about $30 for the small one and $45 for the larger one. The 4000 came with a multi-device cord (old iPod/Iphone connector, new Apple Lightning connector, mini USB, micro USB, and a DC female connector) The 6000 has dual outputs, if that's something you need.

There may be a better deal online with some other brands, but at the times I needed them I couldn't wait for shipping.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

Here's the one I use, no complaints with it, and at the current amazon sale price, that's about 10 dollars cheaper than I paid. It has ample power for my needs, and then some, check out there whole line though, you will likely find one that fits your needs as well.

http://www.ianker.com/product/79AN7917-BA

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B009USAJCC

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Here's the one I use, no complaints with it, and at the current amazon sale price, that's about 10 dollars cheaper than I paid. It has ample power for my needs, and then some, check out there whole line though, you will likely find one that fits your needs as well.

http://www.ianker.com/product/79AN7917-BA

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B009USAJCC
    Ooops, forgot, I bought the high output changer for it, it's like 1 1/2 to 2 ampers per hour, if memory serves it takes me about 6 1/2 hours to fully charge the battery from AC and my devises (ipod, none smart phone, radio, and various lamps ) charge pretty quick, couple hours. But I think they have ones out now that are even faster.

Ooops, forgot, I bought the high output changer for it, it's like 1 1/2 to 2 ampers per hour, if memory serves it takes me about 6 1/2 hours to fully charge the battery from AC and my devises (ipod, none smart phone, radio, and various lamps ) charge pretty quick, couple hours. But I think they have ones out now that are even faster.
    Found the charger I use.

http://www.amazon.com/Generation-Sli...xgy_cps_text_y

I use the Anker 15000 mAh (11.2 oz) which will fully charge my S4 four times. $49 on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    Looking for a battery pack (not a solar charger) to keep my phone and camera charged. Any recommendations?
    You need to ask yourself how many days you want to go in between recharging the battery pack. Then figure 2000 mAh per charge on a typical smart phone or camera.

I used a NewTrent 5200mAh pack, good for 3 charges. But it weighs 4.8 oz. I decided to try an Anker Astro mini, the lipstick sized 3000mAh pack, which should give 1.5 - 2 charges, and that weighs just 2.8 oz, good for 4 days.

Journal Entries
    Images

Rocket Socks nailed it... I just bought that Anker. - its Awesome
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

If you are hiking in the east, forget the solar charger and stick with a battery pack. They're ok for the west where you get more sun.

Journal Entries
    Images

Sorry Deacon - have you tested that theory? Stuff changes over time....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

It'd help to know if you have a preference for lower cost or lower weight and to know how much capacity you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Sorry Deacon - have you tested that theory? Stuff changes over time....
    No I haven't. It's just that I am such a gram weenie that I haven't seen any solar charger yet that I could justify carrying all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    It'd help to know if you have a preference for lower cost or lower weight and to know how much capacity you want.
    Both?

I am unsure of what actual capacity I will need as I still need to purchase the camera and will most likely upgrade my phone before my hike.

Mainly just looking at what other people have had good luck with.

So, a batt backup is a better choice than a solar collector? I'd think there'd be ample clearance for direct sun collection

Quote Originally Posted by arclight View Post
    So, a batt backup is a better choice than a solar collector? I'd think there'd be ample clearance for direct sun collection
    Once the trees are leafed out, you spend a lot of time under the canopy.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Another vote for the Anker, here. I have the Anker Astro 15000mh. Weighs a ton (12oz) but it will keep my phone fully charged for a week and since I use it as my camera, email device, etc., it's totally worth its weight to me. And for $49, you can't really go wrong.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    Both?

I am unsure of what actual capacity I will need as I still need to purchase the camera and will most likely upgrade my phone before my hike.

Mainly just looking at what other people have had good luck with.
    If it was cost, you could check out the battery recycle bins for used laptop batteries and put those in a battery case like this. If capacity was your preference, then you'd pay a lot for these batteries or find a battery pack with lithium polymer cells inside.

Since you may upgrade your phone, you can use that opportunity to have what I feel is the best option. Get a phone with swappable batteries and carry spare internal batteries. If you want to be able to use your phone in town while a battery is charging, then carry an external battery charger. If you really want to save weight and have faster charging, you could build yourself a smaller/lighter cradle that uses a 1A charger instead of the 0.5A chargers that are usually in those external battery chargers.

I have 2 x 15000 mAh ones from anker. http://www.ianker.com/product/79AN7905-BA I will be using both for a 28 day walk in Nov/Dec where I can only recharge mid way. So 14 days out of them. Recharging my S5, inreach, Olympus TG3 and garmin 650. I use them a lot here, Australia, as most longer walks don't have regular places to recharge and I hate carrying a pack full of batteries. All my electronic equipment has been bought with recharging from these batteries in mind. Bonus is they have a readout of remaining power.

...and if your wanting to save even more weight, and your power requirements are such that you don't need but a little...give this one a shot. I've had good results with it.

http://www.rayovac.com/Products/Port...er-Bundle.aspx

...and if your wanting to save even more weight, and your power requirements are such that you don't need but a little...give this one a shot. I've had good results with it.

http://www.rayovac.com/Products/Port...er-Bundle.aspx
    oh, and you'd need to get the right one for your devise, phone/ipod.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++