WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

...this may feel like a belabored point, posting several times...it's only cause I am in the rears on my white blaze dues, and cannot edit.

ex·ploit

/ˈekˌsploit/
    verb
    1. make full use of and derive benefit from (a resource).
      synonyms: utilize, harness, use, make use of, turn/put to good use, make the most of, capitalize on, benefit from, cash in on

Right. So if people are willing to pay $100K to a guide to attempt to summit Everest, why not the Blue Ridge Mountains too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't say I have strong feelings one way or the other about how people choose to spend their own money, but I have a question to clarify the situation in my own mind.

It appears the $20 is to help someone launch a business and not a charitable donation in the legal, tax deductible sense. That's not good or bad, it's just me clarifying what I understand. If I am incorrect, please correct me. I realize that a cause doesn't have to be government recognized, tax deductible to be a good, legitimate cause. Also, I saw nothing on the flier posted here that the $2500 was anything other than helping the business. But some comments were made that may indicate the $2500 may benefit the ATC, a 501c3 organization, meaning it is a charity in the legal, tax deductible sense.

Is the $2500 a tax deductible, charitable gift, or is it in the same category as the $20, simply a good deed to help someone launch a business?

Even If the organization is a 501(c)3, and the item is offered as part of a donation, you can only deduct the portion that represents the retail value of the item you are getting, which in this case would be the normal guiding fees the company charges, probably a lot less than $2500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I think the topic of exploitation of the Appalachian Trail is one that could be civilly discussed here. That topic should not single out any one individual, idea, or entity. There is much that ails the trail, it does not begin nor end with any one person, we all as hikers exploit it's givings, it's important to remember that.

Jen- my comment was not meant to disparage you personally, it was just a general statement of an observation I've noticed over the last several years. Some song lyrics I wrote a couple years ago may give you some insight into my thinking.

In the shelter where I lay

Rate this Entry

0 Comments
    by rocketsocks
    , Today at 11:03 (3 Views)

Some song lyrics I started writtin' a couple years ago that keeps comin back to me and wont go away....a work in progress if you will.

Not goin' to get somewhere, not goin' to get away
    not a calling that's been calling me or a roll I had to play.
    it's just a trail that's deep in the woods, and happens to be on my way.
    I'll dream of you each night my love in the shelter where I lay.

In the shelter where I lay, in the shelter where I stay
    I'll dream of you each night my love, in the shelter where I lay

Some come for riches, and some come to play
    some come to find themselves, while others come to stay
    It's rainin' now and the sun don't shine, my thoughts are all for you
    and how one day I'll stray your way on the trail that leads to you

In the shelter where I lay, in the shelter where I stay
    I'll dream of you each night my love, in the shelter where I lay

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

RS that's wonderful! Now, explain to me why this never made it to the Creative Corner?

Is the trail exploited? Not by these fundraisers, I don't think. This is a way for the ATC to collect funds for the purpose of maintaining that which we hold so dear. Thank you, Jen for doing your part to preserve the trail.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    RS that's wonderful! Now, explain to me why this never made it to the Creative Corner?
    Hmm, not sure, it was in a journal I had goin at one time, I prolly didn't re-post it cause it was mostly for me, but today it just seemed fitting.

I saw JPD in GR MI on Thursday. She gave a talk at the GR Public Library and then sold and signed copies of her books, as many authors do on book tours. I enjoyed the talk. Talked to her one-on-one briefly. Her little girl is too cute for words.

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    Is the $2500 a tax deductible, charitable gift, or is it in the same category as the $20, simply a good deed to help someone launch a business?
    Something tells me if the business did indeed gift the ATC, the business itself would take whatever deduction is allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I saw JPD in GR MI on Thursday. She gave a talk at the GR Public Library and then sold and signed copies of her books, as many authors do on book tours. I enjoyed the talk. Talked to her one-on-one briefly. Her little girl is too cute for words.
    JPD was never really on my radar, but I have to give her props on one thing. She sure has capitalism figured out.

Considering that a Monopoly game is $17.99 on Amazon, paying $20 for one of these does not appear unreasonable - at least to me....

Rick&Jack - Thanks for sharing this! I am glad I was able to get in on it!
    Last edited by shelb; 07-19-2014 at 20:20.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    My first thoughts when I saw this was cool, I love card games, my second was how exploited the trail has become.
    We're in the digital age. Nothing is safe when one person can reach millions around the globe in seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpMaster Blaster View Post
    We're in the digital age. Nothing is safe when one person can reach millions around the globe in seconds.
    Aye, it's a brave new world.

What they don't tell you is that the day hike with Jennifer is 45 miles!

OH not this CRAP again, these people needs to learn if they want to hike the AT they need to get a job, cause all they are trying to do is get some one else to fund their thru-hike, Didn't we go through this last year.

Default From the game designer :)

Hi everyone,

My name is Mark Hanf and I am the designer of Thru Hike: The Appalachian Trail Board Game. I just wanted to jump in on this conversation to clarify some things that seem to be taken out of context and share our vision for this project.

First of all I want to give a sense of who I am and the passion that I am bringing to this game. I am a parent, a teacher, an Eagle scout and an avid long distance hiker. I have hiked across Spain on the Camino de Santiago and done hundreds of miles on the AT (I live in Hot Springs). A Thru-Hike is definitely on my to-do list, but with a 6 year old, it is difficult to find the time. Someday we will do it together! I live in an off-grid, passive solar home built from recycled materials and I teach sustainable design and the geometry that exists in nature. I LOVE the AT and the mountains and forests that it traverses.

The inspiration for this game came about 2 years ago when I was on a solo from Max Patch to Hot Springs. I went to the trail for some personal direction as I was working through a difficult time in my life. Hiking, as you know, is good medicine! I came across a shelter that had been completely trashed by a grandmother and grandson on the trail. They were obviously novice hikers, but it was hard not to be frustrated by watching them burn plastic, throw food in the woods, and leave trash all over the shelter. The woman was injured so I helped her arrange medical support at the next road crossing and then bagged up all their trash and packed it out. As I was walking I realized that I took for granted all the No Trace Camping ethics that I was taught in Boy Scouts. Not everyone is lucky enough to have great teachers as a kid and I couldn't really get mad with someone who doesn't know better.

As I sat on Bluff Mountain, the idea flooded in all at once that I could create a game that taught best practices while on the trail! It could be really fun and families, scout troops, classrooms, etc. could play and learn at the same time. (Low impact camping, first aid, plant and animal ID, backpacking skills, etc.) This could not be farther from exploitation! It is about education and conservation!

The ATC has been an amazing partner on this from the start! HUGE thanks to all the people there who have supported this project. When the game comes out in stores, 5% of each sale will go to conservation efforts and educational programs. Kickstarter does not allow funds to be raised for non-profits so the funds raised during the Kickstarter campaign will go to producing and expanding the game. (We want to make expansion sets with themes like birds, ultralight tips, environmental science, etc.) Every dollar goes back into the game. We are a very new and small company in Marshall, NC (pop. 857) and the success of this campaign is critical to us being able to produce the game.

We are SO thankful that Jennifer Pharr Davis has helped to promote and share this project! She is not only an inspiring athlete, she is a REALLY nice woman who has been extremely generous with her time. Her willingness to work with us on this game is deeply appreciated on many levels. We just met with Girl Scout Council leaders in Virginia and they said that Jennifer's story was empowering to young girls to get out and hike. The syncronicity that surrounds how I met Jennifer is amazing! The day that I got the prototype cards in the mail, I played the game for the first time with my high school students. They asked how long it took to hike the AT. I talked about section hiking, thru-hiking, weather and pacing and I mentioned Jennifer's 46 day hike. That afternoon I happened to run into her in the grocery store! I had never met her before and just recognized her picture from her website that I saw 6 months earlier! Meant to be!!! Again, I'm thankful for how this all has worked out and thankful for her support!

I encourage the readers of this thread to visit the Kickstarter site and watch the video. The end is funny! My partners put in some outtakes of me
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...=home_location

This project could be a real benefit to the AT community in several ways. It teaches and promotes best practices while on the trail. It is fun! We also want to get suggestions for new cards from hikers like YOU! If we use your ideas, we will print your name on the card! Please email any ideas to [email protected] We want to engage the community of families, hikers, teachers, and scouts that love the AT to expand and enhance the game!

Thanks everyone. Hope this helps!!!

Hi, this is Mark the game designer. Just posted a comment that you might check out.

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

I think the people int he forum are more in the "if you want to learn about the trail, then just go hike it" mood.....

I think they aren't looking at it with "Hey, this would be a quick fun way for kids and new hikers to learn about safety/danger on the trail when they are still at home and don't have every day access to the trail"
    Me: Ricky
    Husky: Jack
    Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.
    From Dalton, Georgia (65 mi above Altanta, 15mi south of Chattanooga)

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

I think the thing that stings the most with this is the rewards with Jenn.

It's not necessarily a jealous thing. It's more that she kinda became a stain on the trail community, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. She seems to exploit it even though she still brings good to it.

Like someone mentioned before. She sure has figured capitalism out.
    Last edited by Ricky&Jack; 07-25-2014 at 13:34.
    Me: Ricky
    Husky: Jack
    Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.
    From Dalton, Georgia (65 mi above Altanta, 15mi south of Chattanooga)

Mark, I appreciate your comments, and I did check out your bio and videos (after I posted my first comment) when the thread first started. Not sure how we got here but for my comment about exploitation, and while I still feel that statement is true to a large degree, it was not said to degrade your product or venture. Looking at this further I think the product will bring awareness to the trails plights and wonders, and while having the AT name on it is a good thing in this instance many times I think using the trails name on say a diaper bag and the like for instance is not only in bad taste, but utter ridiculousness and exploitation to sell products.

I love the idea of flash cards and have several decks of "how to's" type things, knots, navigation, animals...my kids loved em, and loved em growing up. Good luck with the project, I sent in a suggestion the other day for the on going card expansion...great idea by the way. Regards "Socks"

"Rocketsocks" Says "For an up close look at all the trail has to offer, slow your stroll and take a Nero...you won't regret it"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++