WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default So, how well is the North Country Trail marked, how complete is it?

Hey y'alls. So, I don't quite understand the layout of the NCT- I see a lot of "proposed segments", so I was wondering, how much of the trail is complete? Is there a full trail between North Dakota and New York, or are there a bunch of bushwhacking segments? I'm thinking about doing a thru, and I'm wondering what to expect. (I do know it'll be way different from the AT)
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Images

This makes me think quite un-complete, so far
    http://northcountrytrail.org/trail/s...nd-statistics/

But, I still would like to know how it is to go from end to end...
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )

Images

Ohio NCT (also known as the Buckeye Trail) is blue blazed with a fair amount of roadwalking....also very few established campsites.

Northwest PA section of NCT is excellent, well blazed and sometimes remote in the Allegheny National Forest.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

Thanks Jeff! That's part of what I don't quite understand. The Buckeye Trail looks well established and pretty complete, so does the NCT follow the Buckeye Trail all the way until it splits off at the PA border? When I look at maps of the NCT through Ohio, it looks like there are just blank sections where trail will be, but is bushwhacking for now, but when I look at the BT, it looks totally finished. (OI! My brain is frazzled....)

Images

Actually, the NCT site's map redirects you to the BT page for the entirety of Ohio, so I guess it really does follow the BT the whole time, ha, this makes much more sense now!

Trail through Minnesota uses existing trails through Boundary waters and Lake superior. Further West you go however, the less blazes and more sporadic trail maintenance from what I understand...

Looks to still be a work in progress and certainly not like the AT or PCT is a work in progress! I see a LARGE stack of maps in your future SL! LOL. Good luck with the road walks and bushwacks because I strongly assume that is what you will experience at times but I'm just mouthing off. I don't really know. This I know; You would also be on some fine single track trails! I assume more than 60% of the NCT is complete though since the NCT site last updated their completed NCT trail mileage two yrs ago. STILL, even if 80% of the NCT is currently finished that leaves 20% of the 4600 mile NCT to road walk, bushwack, find alternates for, etc. If you're deeply interested, AND AFTER SOME GREATER RESEARCH ON YOUR PART, contact the two that supposedly have thru-hiked it - Nimbelwill Nomad and Andrew Skurka. See what they did. I'm sure new trail has been built since Andy did the C2C and Nimblewill Nomad did their hikes though. Have you looked at the PNT?

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

NCT through the Adirondacks is still something of an hallucination. In some cases the easements have yet to be negotiated with landowners, and the proposed routing is highly unlikely to be the final choice. You can find the latest proposal, and the currently-envisioned route maps, on the NYSDEC web site.

In particular, section 5 through North Creek doesn't really have any sort of coherent plan now that the railroad to the titanium mine in Tahawus is reopening. They really have no idea how they're going to route the trail from the bridge over the Hudson into the Lost Pond area now that the rail grade is not an option. The last I heard, ADK has pretty much nailed down the routings in section 6 from Chimney Pond to I-87 but there's still a lot of sketchy bushwhack in section 7 and an uncertain connection into Crown Point.

Remember that the conservation easements restrict development, but don't necessarily provide public access.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Heres Striders page. He thru hiked last year http://www.stridernct.com/

Images

Status of NCT is heavily dependent on the local NCT "Chapter". The NCT through Allegheny National Forest as far as the NY border then beyond where it shares tread with part of the Finger Lakes Trail is very well marked. The section of the Wampum Chapter in Lawrence and Beaver Counties, PA abutting the PA-OH line is well-marked, signed, and maintained (I belong to the chapter :-) ). The section of the Sandy and Beaver Chapter from the PA-OH line to the Buckeye Trail is mostly back roads. I don't know the status of the blazing, but there are maps available online that you can use to transfer the route to a the Delorme Gazeteer maps for OH. There will always be a goodly amount of roadwalking in these areas as it is more farmland than forest.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Images

Thanks handlebar, very useful to know!

At this point the NCT is about 60% off-road. The rest has not been constructed yet as it has only been around for 30 years. Most of what hasn't been built yet is on private property, so it will take time to get the proper easements to build the trail in these areas. For the most part the trail is very well marked and maintained, the worst part is in southern OH, where the Buckeye Trail is not up to par with the rest of the trail. There are no bushwhacks, what is "proposed" trail on the map is simply roadwalks to connect the completed segments together. Jeff, there have been more than 2 thru-hikers, in fact there have been 5 (me being one of them) and there are 7 others that have completed the entire trail in sections. It's far from "unhikeable", you just need to do the proper research and planning before attempting it. It's a great trail that doesn't get enough love it deserves. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a challenge.

I think you might have meant Dogwood? Thx for the correction Strider and the beta. I checked out your site. Are you going to be adding any more vids? maybe it was me or the system I was on but I couldn't pull up your NCT pics?

Images

Strider, that's what I was hoping- something doable, but also something for someone up for a challenge

I'm thinking that I'll attempt a thru of the NCT after my upcoming PCT thru. I've been looking for a slightly more isolated experience. (Not isolated, per se, but something along those lines)

Images

And Dogwood, the PNT looks pretty cool- that's another one that on my list!!
    (You mean Pacific Northwest Trail, and not Pinhoti, right?)

Yes. The Pacific Northwest Trail is, I guess the words would be, more finished? The logistics for the PNT are more manageable than the NCT but follow your own desires.

You got the hiker bug bad SL. LOL.

Images

I really do, though!

Here is another possibility http://www.gethiking.net/

I hiked the section through McConnells Mill/Moraine State Park, Pennsylvania, 2 weeks ago. The trail is marked fairly well. There are small NCT insignia markers at various locations. It can be alittle confusing tho when you have to use the roads. I highly rec this section.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Looks to still be a work in progress and certainly not like the AT or PCT is a work in progress! I see a LARGE stack of maps in your future SL! LOL. Good luck with the road walks and bushwacks because I strongly assume that is what you will experience at times but I'm just mouthing off. I don't really know. This I know; You would also be on some fine single track trails! I assume more than 60% of the NCT is complete though since the NCT site last updated their completed NCT trail mileage two yrs ago. STILL, even if 80% of the NCT is currently finished that leaves 20% of the 4600 mile NCT to road walk, bushwack, find alternates for, etc. If you're deeply interested, AND AFTER SOME GREATER RESEARCH ON YOUR PART, contact the two that supposedly have thru-hiked it - Nimbelwill Nomad and Andrew Skurka. See what they did. I'm sure new trail has been built since Andy did the C2C and Nimblewill Nomad did their hikes though. Have you looked at the PNT?
    Dude. Dogwood, I might cave and get a GPS if I end up doing the NCT post PCT...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++