WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Stealth Camping

Journal Entries

Oh, and if you do stealth camp, don't spend time dawdling. Take everything down first, make breakfast and get on the trail early. That way no one will expect that you spent the night there.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    After seeing this, it seems the vast majority of tent sites one will find along the AT are technically illegal. Not that it stops anyone, especially the "I'll never camp at or near a shelter" group.
    Speaking strictly of the sites I frequent in CT/MA/NY (areas where "designated campsite only" rules apply) I have found that many of the established sites are set up in a way that acts as a compromise between the shelter dwellers and those who wish to camp dispersed. A large number of the sites have official, maintained tent spots that are often hundreds of feet away from the shelter/picnic table area. While far from a wilderness experience, these sites offer a lot of piece and quiet relative to the shelters themselves. It's not a perfect solution but to me it appears obvious that the people who planned the sites were at least sensitive to the wishes of all users and were attempting to provide reasonably secluded options.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by NY HIKER 50 View Post
    Oh, and if you do stealth camp, don't spend time dawdling. Take everything down first, make breakfast and get on the trail early. That way no one will expect that you spent the night there.
    Arrive late, leave early. I usually cook breakfast after I have moved down the trail a bit.

You are not allowed to stealth camp in Maryland either, you are correct.

This concept of "stealth" camping is amusing to me. I'd never even heard of such a thing before I got interested in the AT.

Here in CO, outside of very high-use areas like RMNP and Indian Peaks, you just camp where you wanna camp.

And I like how there are all these unwritten 'rules' of stealth camping. Isn't the whole point to not be seen or caught??

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lauriep View Post

If the sharp eyes on WhiteBlaze catch any errors or have questions, let me know.

Laurie P.
    Laurie,

The restrictions listed for the White Mountains are not accurate. With some specifically enumerated exceptions, there is no blanket restriction requiring one camp 200' from trails EXCEPT in Wilderness areas.

As you know, the AT in the Whites actually lies outside of some of the Wilderness areas it skirts.

Similarly, there is no specific blanket regulation requiring one camp 200' from all water sources-- even those within wilderness areas.

Historically, some of those who love the Whites have sought to expand the actual regulations by informal communications (such as yours) either by design, or more often out of a genuine misunderstanding-- to have them conform with enlightened LNT thinking.

But I am not so sure that is a great idea.

RickB

Images

Selecting the right spot to tent can be tricky depending on where you are, in some places where maybe you should not tent, they do not make it easy to find stealth spots.

NO COOK mode helps a ton. As long as I have water to drink I can tent anywhere which to me adds a LOT to the overall experience.

Have had some amazing spots over the years and more to come next week I am sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Wülfgang View Post
    This concept of "stealth" camping is amusing to me. I'd never even heard of such a thing before I got interested in the AT.

Here in CO, outside of very high-use areas like RMNP and Indian Peaks, you just camp where you wanna camp.

And I like how there are all these unwritten 'rules' of stealth camping. Isn't the whole point to not be seen or caught??
    Which is why I want to move out West.

I apply the K.I.S.S. rule when backpacking..set up later in the day, eat simple (no cooking) and get packed up early. I might linger afterwards and enjoy breakfast but anyone coming along early in the morning will just assume I'm an early riser. I leave no trace. In some cases it's cleaner than when I found it.

One reason I took up backpacking was to get AWAY from crowds and designated campsites with inconsiderate, loud people who keep me awake all hours of the night. Dispersed camping is my kind of camping. I usually go during the week and in the offseason as well.

There are too many freaking rules! I'm thinking of taking my lawyer along to advise me on whether its legal to camp or not. Somebody did an analysis once given all the federal, state and local laws and regulatioms, the average person commits at least one FELONY per month and several misdomeners a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    There are too many freaking rules! I'm thinking of taking my lawyer along to advise me on whether its legal to camp or not. Somebody did an analysis once given all the federal, state and local laws and regulatioms, the average person commits at least one FELONY per month and several misdomeners a week.
    You're going to have to explain to me which felony I'm committing every week of the year. This has the appearance of nonsense.
    Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by full conditions View Post
    You're going to have to explain to me which felony I'm committing every week of the year. This has the appearance of nonsense.
    I have not read it Fullconditions, but there is a book on the subject...

http://www.amazon.com/Three-Felonies.../dp/1594035229

I myself try to be a good law abiding citizen, so I only commit one or two felonies a day that I know of. Just last night I accidentally pulled the tag off my pillow

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    I have not read it Fullconditions, but there is a book on the subject...

http://www.amazon.com/Three-Felonies.../dp/1594035229

I myself try to be a good law abiding citizen, so I only commit one or two felonies a day that I know of. Just last night I accidentally pulled the tag off my pillow
    LOL Thanks Scotty. I may have inadvertently removed a mattress tab or two myself. So here's an excerpt from a favorable review from the linked book:

The product description of this book on amazon.com (the US site) starts by claiming that "The average professional in this country wakes up in the morning, goes to work, comes home, eats dinner, and then goes to sleep, unaware that he or she has likely committed several federal crimes that day". So I was keen to find out what crimes these might be, that ordinary people were unconsciously committing in such profusion. Sadly, that is something you cannot learn by reading this book. As far as I can ascertain, there is literally no mention of "three crimes a day" or anything similar on any of its pages, from the foreword by Alan M Dershowitz to the index.

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.

Quote Originally Posted by full conditions View Post
    LOL Thanks Scotty. I may have inadvertently removed a mattress tab or two myself. So here's an excerpt from a favorable review from the linked book:

The product description of this book on amazon.com (the US site) starts by claiming that "The average professional in this country wakes up in the morning, goes to work, comes home, eats dinner, and then goes to sleep, unaware that he or she has likely committed several federal crimes that day". So I was keen to find out what crimes these might be, that ordinary people were unconsciously committing in such profusion. Sadly, that is something you cannot learn by reading this book. As far as I can ascertain, there is literally no mention of "three crimes a day" or anything similar on any of its pages, from the foreword by Alan M Dershowitz to the index.
    I think thats a bit of hyperbole myself. I can see the point made using local or state laws, like turning left out of a parking lot and crossing the double yellow line (not legal in most states), hollywood stops at right turn on red or stop signs, or feeding wildlife with a bird feeding station. But the Mattress Police.... that tag thing is a Federal beef, getcha a nickel at Danbury.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Laurie,

The restrictions listed for the White Mountains are not accurate. With some specifically enumerated exceptions, there is no blanket restriction requiring one camp 200' from trails EXCEPT in Wilderness areas.

As you know, the AT in the Whites actually lies outside of some of the Wilderness areas it skirts.

Similarly, there is no specific blanket regulation requiring one camp 200' from all water sources-- even those within wilderness areas.

Historically, some of those who love the Whites have sought to expand the actual regulations by informal communications (such as yours) either by design, or more often out of a genuine misunderstanding-- to have them conform with enlightened LNT thinking.

But I am not so sure that is a great idea.

RickB
    With respect to the whites, the only way to try to understand the rules is to read the linked brochure on the ATC site and have a highlighter and trail guide in hand as much of it does not apply to the AT. Unfortunately even if you read and understand the rules, the WMNF on occasion will close and post other locations that are outside of the restricted areas. This was done a few years back on a set of popular stealth locations on the west side of the Franconia Ridge Trail that are outside of the 1/4 mile restricted use area for Liberty. These closures were not posted anywhere except in the field. This area of the AT is somewhat strange as the rules are different one either side of the trail. There are a few other trailside stealth spots north of these posted sites but they are hit or miss and much of the terrain is dense spruce fir.

Journal Entries
    Images

As always, Peakbagger is correct.

Last season I saw a sign (printed on WMNF letterhead no less) entering the Pemi which stated a blanket 200' from water rule applied in that wilderness area. Regulation by laser printer, but you have to respect what is posted.

I also see benefit in keeping things simple-- as they do in the AT guide books. That said, I do think an asterisk would be a good. If everyone keeps stating the same incomplete information over and over, it can become fan accepted "fact".

Full:

This is somewhat off topic, but over the last month or so, did you go to a bar or out to dinner and have 4-5 beers and then drive home? Even if you didn't think you were drunk, chances are you were over .08. How about something less obvious: did you buy something online and not pay sales tax? You are supposed to report that on your state tax return and pay a use tax on those goods. Even in states with no income tax, like Tennessee, you are required to file a form and pay the tax. Failure to do so is tax evasion, my friend. I could go on and on.

Journal Entries
    Images

You can camp most anywhere along the AT. Just walk 100" off the trail and set up your tent. Don't have a fire and break camp and leave early in the morning.
    Grampie-N->2001

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    You can camp most anywhere along the AT. Just walk 100" off the trail and set up your tent. Don't have a fire and break camp and leave early in the morning.
    Maybe a little farther would be recommended?

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    There are places along the trail in Va. that stealth camping is not legal.

I would never do anything illegal, never.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++