WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Question Water filter choice, what's popular?

So first of all, I actually don't mind pumping my water , many times were having a filter has come in handy, many times I've loaned it to others because they were having to scoop out of muddy puddles, and I really really hate any chemicals. Oh did I mention I hate chemicals, even the 'tasteless' ones I taste. So now that's out of the way, I've had the same kayadyn hiker pro filter for 8+ years, and it's treated me well, but it's sprung a leak, literally, shooting out the side with the pump in the seam of the plastic...
    But before I just go out and get another the same thing, what's popular now, I haven't researched this subject in 8+ years, so please chime in with your suggestions on filter type! Anything lighter in weight but hasn't least the same fast pumping of the hiker pro?
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Journal Entries

We use this purifier-filter. No chemicals. No floaties. No illness.
    Now if they would just come up with a chilled water version...

http://www.campmor.com/first-need-xl...n-device.shtml

Sawyer mini.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by QHShowoman View Post
    Sawyer mini.
    Yes.

With an Evernew bag. You need a larger on than comes with the mini, and the threads of the Evernew fit well.

I don't always drink filtered water, but when I do....

A lot of gear posts you see are about fine-tuning or just fascination with the latest and greatest. This is different-- really good if you filter.

Images

If you contact Katahdyn, I think they will replace the plastic cylinder (not the filter element) for free. At least they did so for me, no questions asked. So you may not have to make ANY decisions!

Jane

But if you do, either the Sawyer mini or squeeze.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Images

sawyer mini for sure. I just bought a 2 pack of the 64oz bags as the 16oz that comes with it isn't all that helpful in terms of storage volume, and the the threads on the platypus i used as additional storage on the first multi-day section didnt fit that well.

I too like my Katahdin hiker pro, it's a true work horse, but have recently bought a (you guessed it) Sawyer mini. I'll not get rid of the old pro, again it's a work horse and deserves it's place in my pack if conditions dictate.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I too like my Katahdin hiker pro, it's a true work horse, but have recently bought a (you guessed it) Sawyer mini. I'll not get rid of the old pro, again it's a work horse and deserves it's place in my pack if conditions dictate.
    Oops...forgot to say. Conditions might be hiking with many people in the group, it can pump large volumes rather quickly.

Images

I too like the Sawyer Squeeze/Mini, but from the OP question, it seems she likes the pump feature, being able to pull the water from a puddle. The Squeeze will not perform this function.

In light of the above, contacting the manufacturer of your current pump seems your best option.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    I too like the Sawyer Squeeze/Mini, but from the OP question, it seems she likes the pump feature, being able to pull the water from a puddle. The Squeeze will not perform this function.

In light of the above, contacting the manufacturer of your current pump seems your best option.
    I agree, I'll just bet cha they give her a new one. It only makes sense to keep a product user coming back, in the climate of today, and competition being what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I agree, I'll just bet cha they give her a new one. It only makes sense to keep a product user coming back, in the climate of today, and competition being what it is.
    ...and I don't see this as "getting over" but rather allowing a company to get some free word of mouth advertising...advertising ain't cheap these days, my Sister works in that field...it's big business, mucho Boo Koo dollars, always the dollars. Can't hurt to inquire.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I understand the desire for a pump system as I have loved my Sweetwater filter when I've encountered low flowing water along nearly level ground.

But IF you have to buy something new, I can't see spending around $100 for a pump system when you can get the Sawyer Mini from WalMart for only $20. Granted, collection is a little bit more difficult, but the Sawyer is so flexible. If you want to stay ultra lightweight, you simply use a 500mL dirty water bag (like what comes with the mini) and stay at the water source filling the pouch and squeezing the water through the filter directly into your water container.

I personally bought an Evernew 2L bag for a dirty water bag and a 2L Platypus bag and the hoser attachement. I added a string to the Evernew bag so that I can hang it and I use the Sawyer-mini as a gravity filter. I take only my dirty water bag to the water source, fill it up, come back to camp, setup the gravity system and let it filter the water while I do other tasks. And if flow rate is an issue because you have large groups, the mini is cheap enough to simply buy multiples.

I have always used the Katahdan Hiker-Pro anything else just doesn't measure up, the Sawyer Mini is a decent filter but you have to use something to scoop with so their for you will get floaties and all kinds of nasty stuff in the water, the Sweatwater filter is a good filter but it's slow, so in my personal oppinion the Katahdan Hiker-Pro is the best filter out their, you can use it in slow moving water, mud puddles, any kind of water source and you get no floaties or any type of chemical taste, so my Advice to you is to stay with the best and get another Hiker-Pro if you don't you will be kicking yourself in the butt every single time you go hiking with anything else.

Images

Platypus gravity flow...scoop the water into the dirty bag, click the hose in and connect to clean bag, and 5 minutes later, you have 2-4 liters of water, depending on what size you buy.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

If you are concerned about chemicals then be careful, nearly all of the water sources on the A.T. contain huge amounts of dihydrogen monixide and none of the filters suggested above will remove much of it.

But seriously, the Sawyer Mini is probably the best combination of price, convenience and quality that is on the market these days.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Namtrag View Post
    Platypus gravity flow...scoop the water into the dirty bag, click the hose in and connect to clean bag, and 5 minutes later, you have 2-4 liters of water, depending on what size you buy.
    In the face of a $20 Sawyer Mini, the $100 Platypus gravity system (and MSR's equivalent) no longer makes sense to me.

I can (and have) built something that's roughly the equivalent for about $65.

Parts List:
    Platypus Hoser 2.0L - $23
    Evernew 2.0L Water Carry - $18
    Sawyer Mini - $20 (WalMart)
    String and Hole Punch (so that you can make Evernew Water Carry hang-able)
    Total: $61

Images

That's pretty awesome, HooKoo!

I am currently on a thru hike, got off at rutland vermont to come home for a week for a wedding. I started with the hiker pro water filter and it ended up breaking around the 700 mile mark on the trail. Along with it being very hard to pump up to that point, I had a hard time spending the money on a new filter for it, so I didn't. Clearly why it broke. I then switched to Aquamira which someone gave me till i got to the next town with an outfitter, which turned out to be Dalevile. I then bought the sawyer mini, and upto this point use both the sawyer and the drops. Drops i use when I am filling my water bladder, and when drinking water right away i will use the sawyer attached to a 1 litre bag. This system works for me. I would suggest the sawyer squeeze fora filter for sure, but i find a lot of ppl with the mini wish they bought the regular sawyer squeeze because the flow rate tends to be a fair bit faster, and not to much heavier (dont know the exact specs). Also will definitely need to switch from the half liter bag it comes with to either a liter or 2 liter.

Images

I've used my Sweetwater for a long time and I like it. I've bought extra cartridges on sale on Amazon plus a pre-filter that works extraordinarily well. My first cartridge clogged after about 75 miles on the Trail, even avoiding silty looking water and pumping only from "clear" sources. The siltstopper has kept me from changing the cartridge the remaining time on the Trail, maybe 325 miles or so.

http://www.amazon.com/MSR-02214-Swee...ater+prefilter

I don't care about the weight. I can pump a LOT of water in just a few minutes. That being said: I ALSO used the iodine tabs + neutralizer. I'm extremely paranoid about water.

http://www.amazon.com/Potable-Aqua-W...atment+tablets
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++