WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: e2e in October?

Default e2e in October?

Considering an end-to-end starting 1 October (heading north). Wondering what to expect in terms of weather, availability of services (hostels, shuttles), and whether I'll be all alone or not. Had originally planned on doing an Aug/Sep hike but may now have to push it back.

Others can provide better weather info, but consider going southbound that time of year if you are going a typical pace of three weeks or so.
    You'd have to hit the tough stuff first, but you'd be out of the worst high country and winter conditions risk in time for the most part. Snow is possible anytime in October, but by late OCT/November I'd definitely prefer to be on the southern section unless you really want to brave the weather. Footing is tough enough up there without a frost or snow dusting.

Otherwise should be a good time of year, use three season gear and plan to keep a water bottle in your bag in case of frost as you'll likely run into at least a few chilly nights.

Going southbound you could get a "Magic" trip and hike south with the colors. I went through the AT one year in just such conditions starting mid Sept.- Rose petal covered trails in bright pinks, reds, and burgundy- with every shade of yellow and orange dancing on the trees the whole hike- still gives me chills! Have Owen make you his Hot Toddy when you get to Inn@LT and enjoy.

"Killing The Blues"

Leaves were falling, just like embers,
    In colors red and gold, they set us on fire
    Burning just like a moonbeam in our eyes.

Somebody said they saw me, swinging the world by the tail
    Bouncing over a white cloud, killing the blues.
    Last edited by Just Bill; 07-14-2014 at 10:37.

Most of the color is gone by early October, especially up north. One good windy rain storm and it's all over. October weather is a mix of really nice hiking days and really, really bad hiking days. You can have several days of cold, misty rain which is cleared out by a cold front which ices up the trail and makes it even more treacherous then it normally is.

Personally, I would not attempt a LT thru hike in October, especially not a NOBO one. The days are too short to make much progress in a day and the risk of bad weather is too great. Only doing the southern end of the LT would be the safest plan. I'd stay way from the northern end in October.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Consider September, even late in the month, you will have much better luck. And I agree with Wild Bill, go SOBO.

Plus we have been getting an earlier and earlier winter here in Vermont in recent years. So watch out for that, footing up north is bad when wet. South of Killington not as bad though. Good luck and happy trails!

Thanks for all the replies. I'll look to see if I can instead leave in mid-September and go SOBO. I had hoped to ease into the hike by starting in the south but don't want to do anything dumb and get caught in nasty weather up north. Does this sound more reasonable?

Your odds of having a fantabulous hike are vastly improved!
    SOBO mid September- Slo's advice is quite solid, much later and an end to end is unlikely for most unless you are lucky or extremely hardy.

agree completely with Just Bill's advice. Weather in Vermont changes drastically from Sept to October. Last year I started a nobo e-2-e on 9/5 and finished 9/25. The first week to 10 days were very mild, even had one day in the low 90s in Rutland. The cold fronts started coming thru by mid Sept, the weather the last week was cold and wet. Northern VT was into peak fall colors by 9/25. But I think by October you'd be well past peak fall colors. Take extra socks, cuz the mud on the LT is relentless. I'm going nobo again this year in Sept. Have a great hike!

Yeah ... just chiming in to echo what everybody else has said. I live in northern VT and would second all of this advice. SOBO with a mid-September start might be the very best possible way to hike the LT.

I wouldn't want to do Mansfield with anything close to snow or ice on the rocks... Concur with what others are saying.

Trying to swing it so I can start the 1st of September. I should be pretty safe in regards to snow and freezing rain shouldn't I? I'd prefer to start in the south and hike north so I could ease into it with the easier of the sections to start out with.

Default Me too but Southbound

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Rooster View Post
    Considering an end-to-end starting 1 October (heading north). Wondering what to expect in terms of weather, availability of services (hostels, shuttles), and whether I'll be all alone or not. Had originally planned on doing an Aug/Sep hike but may now have to push it back.
    My September plan may be getting pushed also to October. (why does jobs keep getting in the way of important stuff anyway?)

I want to do south but did want to ask you guys if you think ice gear like ice axe and mini crampons may be prudent? (I've never used em or owned em.) for shelter I plan on a 3 season tent (Archer2) and 0 degree bag with liner.

What's the consensus of the "latest" start date for the Long trail without getting into the "that's stupid" realm?

Didn't mean to hijack your thread Skinny Rooster and hope to meet up on the way.

Rolex

Images

A sobo trip I once tried ended mid oct. Glad we did get out when we did. The 1 1/2 feet of snow that fell through the next day & night made me glad we bailed when we did.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
    My September plan may be getting pushed also to October. (why does jobs keep getting in the way of important stuff anyway?)

I want to do south but did want to ask you guys if you think ice gear like ice axe and mini crampons may be prudent? (I've never used em or owned em.) for shelter I plan on a 3 season tent (Archer2) and 0 degree bag with liner.

What's the consensus of the "latest" start date for the Long trail without getting into the "that's stupid" realm?

Didn't mean to hijack your thread Skinny Rooster and hope to meet up on the way.

Rolex
    I would suggest hiking Sobo to get out of the worst climbs in case bad weather sets in. New Engand in Oct is a roll of the dice! Some years awesome others nasty.

Here's a link to a really good trip report from a couple who didthe LT around the same time you were originally planning to go. They experienced very good weather and warn others not to plan on conditions being as ideal, but it still gives you a reasonable idea of what to expect. The report is very detailed and informative - really the best trip report I've ever read.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...hread_id=83317

++ New Posts ++