WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I am surprised you touched that... I gave it ...well I wasn't going to quote or answer...
    I never know what your saying.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I never know what your saying.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by greenmtnboy View Post
    "We might assume that if a man has an erection he must want sex. But imagine if the same were said about women..."

Go ahead and assume; I am the sterotypical male

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk but if you want to avoid potentially creepy situations you probably shouldn't take rides from strangers... regardless of where you are.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

That didn't come out right. Sitting in a out patient clinic.
    I'm trying to say that the subject is worthy of _thoughtful_ discussion.
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Images

Don't believe the "trust your gut" maxim. A really dangerous (and successful) predator won't set off any alarm bells. I don't think the guys in the truck were predators, just not attuned to what would make young women nervous, and I'm not jumping on the "Let's string'em up" bandwagon. Insensitivity doesn't make one an evil person.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post
    Don't believe the "trust your gut" maxim. A really dangerous (and successful) predator won't set off any alarm bells. I don't think the guys in the truck were predators, just not attuned to what would make young women nervous, and I'm not jumping on the "Let's string'em up" bandwagon. Insensitivity doesn't make one an evil person.
    I think that's true.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckT View Post
    That didn't come out right. Sitting in a out patient clinic.
    I'm trying to say that the subject is worthy of _thoughtful_ discussion.
    +1 agree........

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

If we go back to the original post: It's clearly stated that the gentlemen in question are not being thought of as "evil" even after-the-fact. The most they are being accused of is being insensitive in their actions to the feelings of the others. It was the hope of the OP that if anyone knew these guys, they could give them a "heads up" for future interactions, and the girls were confident enough in the character of the men to feel this would not be accepted badly. That says a lot for what they felt were the overall personalities behind this situation.

It's not easy to tell Dad, or Grandad, that they maybe didn't behave as well as they should have.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Images

This has been a good discussion.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    If we go back to the original post: It's clearly stated that the gentlemen in question are not being thought of as "evil" even after-the-fact. The most they are being accused of is being insensitive in their actions to the feelings of the others. It was the hope of the OP that if anyone knew these guys, they could give them a "heads up" for future interactions, and the girls were confident enough in the character of the men to feel this would not be accepted badly. That says a lot for what they felt were the overall personalities behind this situation.

It's not easy to tell Dad, or Grandad, that they maybe didn't behave as well as they should have.

I agree, and I've seen no "band wagons" coming through my town yet, just some discussion on a couple fellas that got it wrong this time...and a heads up.

This has been a good discussion.
    I agree, and while my band wagon comment was modeled after yours, it was not meant to inflame nor imply.

Images

As a woman and a mother, this quote is a hard one for me. I'm not sure we know how to do that anymore. I tell my kids ... if the hair stands up on your arms, back off. Not that I believe these guys were anything to worry about ... but as a woman that hikes solo, I sooooo worry I won't know when to "trust my gut.".
    "Life is pure adventure, and the sooner we realize that, the quicker we will be
    able to treat life as art." Maya Angelou

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Did I miss it completely? What was the "tale" they were asked to tell? The response to that would guide my response to the whole situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Speaking of "miss it". Where is the first hand account of what happened? Seems the OP witnessed none of it.

There was a report of a female attempted abduction on Max Patch Rd on the Haywood county side around 1pm today's date. The situation is still fluid as a woman was either pushed into a gray Dodge Intrepid by two white males or was attempted to be pushed in the car.
    Law enforcement units are enroute as I type this.
    IF your "number of posts" exceed your "days as a member" your knowledge is suspect.

Yerby Ray
    Newton, NC

Quote Originally Posted by yerbyray View Post
    There was a report of a female attempted abduction on Max Patch Rd on the Haywood county side around 1pm today's date. The situation is still fluid as a woman was either pushed into a gray Dodge Intrepid by two white males or was attempted to be pushed in the car.
    Well lets hope that works out for the best.

I'm reminded of the book "Jaws" that I'll be listening to on audio book while on vacation at the beach shortly. In that book Scientist Matt Hooper played by Richard Dreyfus says something about Territoriality, and how shanks stay in an area where food is plentiful. Same goes for creeps seeking what they covet, until acted upon, ie. caught, or they leave for some other reason.

Yerbyray, you being a LEO, is this a true statement?

Quote Originally Posted by likeahike View Post
    Speaking of "miss it". Where is the first hand account of what happened? Seems the OP witnessed none of it.
    likahike would you dispute the validity of this report as hearsay? I get where your comin' from, I always like my info first hand as well...but in this case the OP of this thread may not have seen it happen from over the hill and around the corner...but she was there, an active participant...good enough for me on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    likahike would you dispute the validity of this report as hearsay? I get where your comin' from, I always like my info first hand as well...but in this case the OP of this thread may not have seen it happen from over the hill and around the corner...but she was there, an active participant...good enough for me on this one.
    I will follow up with this tomorrow when I go back to work and see what the rest of the story is. We, my partner actually talked to the reporting party, took the call first hand and you can tell in someone's voice when something is legitimate and this sounded that way when I listened to the audio recording.

As for creeps and bad guys....They are creature's of opportunity and fish in the same pond that produces fish until they are forced away. From panhandlers to serial killers....they "work" an area that they are comfortable with until it is too hot for them. They either lay low or move on. Typically when they move on, they are busted because they are out of their comfort zone. What is scarey is when law enforcement doesn't see or realize the pattern and crimes continue. A good example of this is the Highway 16 Killer in British Columbia (forty years and I am still not satisfied with the conclusion of it)

Relating to backpacking...I would like to see a comprehensive "sharing/database" of criminal activities relevant to the AT by all law enforcement agencies so trends and issues will be noticed before something bad happens. Heck it would be nice to know which parking areas are considered safe and which are not.
    IF your "number of posts" exceed your "days as a member" your knowledge is suspect.

Yerby Ray
    Newton, NC

I will follow up with this tomorrow when I go back to work and see what the rest of the story is. We, my partner actually talked to the reporting party, took the call first hand and you can tell in someone's voice when something is legitimate and this sounded that way when I listened to the audio recording.
    Thanks Yerbray...hope it works out, kinda surprised ATer's aren't victims of crimes more often given the remoteness and their general trusting nature.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++