WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default ultralight gear list

Here's what I'm taking with me on the JMT for 16 days! My baseweight is 11.6 pounds including my dreaded BV500

http://www.trailtosummit.com/2014/07...rail-gear.html

Journal Entries

Nice . What bag will you be using? How effective are dry wipes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by verysimple View Post
    Nice . What bag will you be using? How effective are dry wipes?
    It's a Western Mountaineering Summerlite. You rehydrate the wipes with water. Saves a little weight dried out I'll be jumping in a lot of lakes

Journal Entries

Don't forget phone charger and as so robe I fb stated - headlamp. Happy hiking.

Journal Entries

As someone on fb stated....

Headlamp will be in my ditty bag. I will be mailing my charger to my first resupply.

Looks great. I'm not sure how well I would fare with no cooking for 16 days. What all kinds of food will you be taking?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Images

I have the Wild Oasis and the TT Contrail. My experience with the WO has not been good, condensation, water splashes, soaked sleeping bag, I am planning a JMT hike next summer, and really struggling with what to bring. I love the Contrail, I .guess no right answer. Also , is the summerlite warm enough for the coldest nights????

I've been doing well with the WO. I have a few layers (including a down jacket) I plan on sleeping in at night if it gets too cold. I also have a silk liner I'm thinking about bringing. I'll be in CA for 8 days so I'll spend that time thinking about the liner.

Trail to summit Have a great hike. I was checking out your blogg, very nice, some good info there.

Oops, meant to say I like "Drops of Jupiter" by Train as a outdoors tune, but didn't have a google account to post to your song selection, also "shelter from the storm" by Bob Dylan. enjoy your hike.

Serial Hiker
    Images

When I was there in the middle of August a few years back, it got down to 30* a couple of nights.
    Enjoy your trip!
    perrito

684.4 down, 1507.6 to go.

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Looks good. I've gone stoveless on short hikes...never on long hikes. I use esbits which don't way anything...but I am tempted to go stoveless altogether...

It really is awesome seeing someone with your New England peak bagging and trekking experience under her belt taking to the JMT! You are going to do GREAT in the Sierras! You are obviously have so much fun. In early Aug I bet you'll find yourself easily being capable of surpassing your anticipated mileages on several days IF that is what you wanted to accomplish. You said you'd be getting to Cali 8 days ahead of starting the JMT. I suppose you're doing that in part to experience other activities and acclimate? It wouldn't hurt to do some acclimating before heading off at Happy Isles.

Very Nice ROCKIN UL kit! Looks very similar to a kit I would take for a JMT thru in late July/early Aug minus the female clothing. LOL. You might need to take some bug juice with you on the JMT though. I definitely would! Think about how'd you handle skeeters! This is going to sound sooo bad but I have a question. What are you wearing under the Smartwool Maybell Skirt when hiking? Are you planning on hiking in the IB Everyday Merino long underwear w/ the skirt over the top? Aren't they just long thermal bottoms? If they are long thermal bottoms you MIGHT find yourself heating up while hiking in them. Sorry. I'm not proficient in woman's hiking underwear.

TrailtoSummit posted her No Cook Food Spreadsheet on her blog. Tab on JMT 2014 and scroll down to the spreadsheet. Your trail foods are amazingly similar to my own. Minus the last three candy items(hey a girl has to have a little sugar) your No Cook Food items are the exact same items I eat on my hikes but I usually warm a dinner especially when above treeline even in the summer. If you like cold mashed potatoes, cold vegetarian chili, and cold refried beans you are sick. For me, a ProBar with a packet of Justin's Almond or Hazelnut Butter and handful of dried fruit would be b-fast; everything else would be snacks. I suppose you are planning on mixing the various oils(EVOO, coconut, macadamia) with dry hummus and eating on tortillas with the tuna? Maybe sprinkle some dried fruit on there too? Wild Planet Tuna is great. Awesome! I like your diet! If you want the high cals/oz and it fits with your ethics you might also consider Starkist Yellowfin Tuna in EVOO. You might want to consider Vegan Primal Strips(jerky), some type of high fiber high fat cookies(macaroons might appeal to you), crackers(could go with the hummus and be gluten free - a good amount of your diet is low in gluten and animal products), and substituting whole flaked coconut(Trader Joes Roasted Coconut is delish!) or Let's do...Organic Creamed Coconut(it's a bar in a plastic package and is a bit more nutritious and solid than coconut oil, it's basically coconut butter(ground coconut) but in a bar) for the coconut oil. It melts easily in warm water with a No Cook approach. Obviously, you are mailing resupply boxes because you aren't going to easily locate all those food items on the JMT!

A very nice thinking person's blog. Well planned hike.

IMO, you'll do fine with the Wild Oasis on the JMT. You aren't going to see much rain while you are there. On windless nights/camping locations get that top vent propped all the way open and pitch a little high using that bug skirt for extra ventilation while keeping any bugs out. Might help to look for sites with a slight breeze anyhow to keep the skeeters at bay. The WM Summerlite with the Hadron jacket and IB bottoms should be fine inside the WO. Might not hurt to store them in heavily DWRed or WB stuff sacks though. You are going to love your experiences on the JMT and in Cali!

Please post after your hike.

Great! Looks pretty dialed in to me! My only notes are that I agree with bringing bug spray and/or a head net, the bugs can be really bad on the southern end of the trail. (maybe not in August though? I was there in July) And personally, I don't like V-neck shirts because you end up getting a lot of sun on your skin exposed by the V ... just don't forget to put sunscreen there! Also gloves might be good for sun protection, I am a sun weenie and compared to the East Coast (where I am also from) you will be getting really intense sun for long periods of time. I wore gloves most of the time above treeline.

Thanks for the positive feedback! Dogwood- for clothing I am bringing underwear (but didn't post it because of all the creeps out there lol!) and will just wear the skirt (no pants/long underwear) unless it gets chilly then I'll throw on the long underwear. I have bugspray in my ditty bag. I have a lot of odds and ends in there.

Quasarr- I've been contemplating sun gloves. I think I'm going to order a pair as I'll be using trekking poles. Never had an issue ever with my hands getting burnt but, then again, I mainly hike in NH

Late to the party...
    As for glove I would highly recommend silk liner glove ,very light and will protect from the sun and the drying air,
    and they also ad a couple of degree of warmness.

++ New Posts ++