WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Go Pro Camera Experience ???

Looking to purchase a GoPro camera and housing for a "early" Christmas present for my son. Does anyone have experience and recommendations? I would welcome your thoughts both positive and negative.

Regards,
    Rightfoot

Journal Entries

Takes fantastic videos but very short battery life.
    DeerPath

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY
    IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
    BUT RATHER SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
    SHOUTING "HOLY CRAP....WHAT A RIDE!"

I've used GoPro Heros since they came out with the first one.

GoPro currently has a few different models, White, Silver and Black. Make sure to read about each version, as you might be able to save $100 if you do not need all the features.

The worst thing about them is the sound quality. Do not expect to use the audio that is recorded with the camera.

The positives are that it shoots terrific video, is light weight and easy to use. I enjoy using it for timelapse photography, although it has an auto exposure, so doing timelapse on a sunset doesnt really work out too well.

I would also suggest spending $75 to get a snap-on LCD screen. The stock camera has no way of seeing what you are recording. The LCD screen is also a touch screen, which makes it easy to playback videos.

I you're looking for a neat accessory for the camera, check out this site: http://www.steadicamcurve.com/ (shameless self promotion here haha)
    Out of step with the world...

My trail blog:
    http://saladdaysonthetrail.wordpress.com/

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

What about a GoPro primarily for high-res picture-taking?

Also, how much does the snap-on LCD screen weigh? My guess is that will eliminate it's weight advantage over dedicated lightweight cameras, at least for photography.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

I have the first generation GoPro Hero. I paid nothing for it and I can't complain. I don't have the waterproof housing so I can't speak for that. The sound has already been covered. If you are standing still and recording spoken audio, it's brilliant. If you are moving, might as well forget it. I used mine on my hike Sunday and you just the sound of a lot of clattering as I moved about. The good thing is there is a site called diygopro.com where you can get all kinds of ideas for cool and inexpensive mounts and gadgets for the thing.

I built a rig out of PVC pipe that cost me maybe $15 total and I can slip it in my backpack and it places the camera over my shoulder and out of the way while I'm hiking.

The GoPro Hero 3 has made a LOT of advancements over the one I have and as stated, there's three versions of the 3 so I'd look at the features and maybe go to a store where you can see it in person.

Still pictures, I haven't messed with too much on mine so sadly, I'm worthless on that front.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post

Also, how much does the snap-on LCD screen weigh? My guess is that will eliminate it's weight advantage over dedicated lightweight cameras, at least for photography.
    GoPro has a very wide angle lens. For still pictures, it can give a "fish eye" effect. See the attached photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Shutterbug

Here are a couple of my video trip reports using the Gopro:

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

what's the average "recording" time you folk are getting with your go-pro, before battery dies?

Has anyone set the camera on "Time delay" and taken a pic every 30 seconds or so? (How long did that last before dying?)

Edit: Check this out. A chest mount. http://gopro.com/camera-mounts/chest-mount-harness
    Last edited by Ricky&Jack; 07-11-2014 at 13:29.
    Me: Ricky
    Husky: Jack
    Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.
    From Dalton, Georgia (65 mi above Altanta, 15mi south of Chattanooga)

I just bring a couple extra Wasabi batteries with me when I'm filming for more than a couple hours. Will also bring an extra memory card. Doesn't take up too much space. Also, if anyone is wanting to film their hikes, check out the Peak Design POV Capture set up. That's what I have on my osprey and it's awesome and easy. I had rigged up a velcro attachment on my old backpack and it worked ok but I finally shelled out the money for the POV mount and I'm glad I did it.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

about 2 hours with wifi turned off

Patman, I like your style, that's sure appeals to me, travelin like that. PM sent.

At this point in time, I would lean towards the new Sony action cams over Go Pro's. The new Sony AS100V is on paper "better" than the go pro for less money. And many people report that it is true.

The go pro is a nice action video camera. Its still pictures are rather lousy compared to a micro 4/3 camera. If you want good stills, get something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post

The LCD screen weighs 30-40 grams (depending on what housing you will be using, if any at all). Not too much weight for what you get. Also, if you plan on using it for stills, I think the LCD is a must have.

Here is a photo I took in Zion with a Hero 2. This is straight from the camera. I have since put the photo into photoshop and brought about more detail in the clouds and the colors in the rock. For me, GoPros are great for backpacking.

293821_4262205234815_735484674_n.jpg
    Out of step with the world...

My trail blog:
    http://saladdaysonthetrail.wordpress.com/

I'll be going with a Nikon Coolpics aw120. Photos, Video, etc. Can still use a ton of mounts, etc. and it's already waterproof without the need of extras. Great sound quality too. While the GoPro is great, I don't care for the super wide angle as it distorts too much for my taste.

For any kind of photography the GoPro is not a great choice given the cost and poor battery life. For biking, surfing or diving it is a bit of fun but for most uses it falls down when compared to a comparably priced point and shoot camera.

++ New Posts ++