WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: MA -- NY Advice

Red face MA -- NY Advice

My friend and I are leaving on Monday to hike down to a graduation party in NYC. It looks like we're gonna hop on the trail around Pittsfield, MA and hike the trail down. Looking for some advice as we're both newbies on the trail.

Any recommendations for where to sleep? We look to average about 15 miles a day.
    Ideas on how I can get to NYC from the trail?

Any other advice or pointers would be GREATLY appreciated. I don't get much time off and want to make the best of this little vaca.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mvictor View Post
    My friend and I are leaving on Monday to hike down to a graduation party in NYC. It looks like we're gonna hop on the trail around Pittsfield, MA and hike the trail down. Looking for some advice as we're both newbies on the trail.

Any recommendations for where to sleep? We look to average about 15 miles a day.

Any other advice or pointers would be GREATLY appreciated. I don't get much time off and want to make the best of this little vaca.

There's a metro north station the AT right over the Conn/NY border. I'm not sure what kind of service gets, but station down the road Pawling has several trains each day.

I'm doing a similar hike next week, except starting a bit further north. Good luck out there!
    Dive Bomber
    SOBO Section Hiker

Images

Hi, probably the best thing to do is grab a data book or a map set and plan out your options for places to stay overnight, based on the mileage you plan to do. You will want some kind of guide when you are out there no matter what.

To get into NYC, you can take the Metro North train from various points in NY (the Appalachian Trail station itself if you're going on the weekend, Pawling, Garrison, Harlem Valley/Wingdale) or you can take the Short Line bus (from Bear Mtn./Harriman S.P. among other places) or the Peter Pan bus from various points in MA.

Hope you enjoy it!

Jane

Your first easy opportunity to get to NYC will be just over the NY line in Pawling. If on a weekend, you can catch Metro-North from the AT train station. On a weekday you need to walk south a couple of miles into the town of Pawling to get the train to Grand Central. Some people prefer to walk north to the Wingdale station, an equal distance from where the AT crosses the tracks.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mvictor View Post

When you say you are a newbie, how much experience do you have? 15 miles a day is a bit ambitious for inexperienced hikers, but if you are young and in shape it is doable. The section you've chosen is relatively easy (by A.T. standards) but it is going to HOT out, I've hiked that section several times in the summer and it can be brutal out. My advice is to wake up early each day like 5:30 or 6:00AM and hit the trail each day as early as possible, hike until about 11:00 or Noon and then rest for several hours during the hottest part of the day and start hiking again around 2:00 or 3:00PM then plan to hike until around early dusk.

As others have said, get yourself a guidebook or map set if you don't already have one. The section in question only allows camping at designated sites so the map or guidebook are important to know where you can stay for the night. The link below is to the one I use, I've cut mine into sections so that I don't have to carry the whole book around, the section of the guide that covers all of NY, CT and MA only weights a couple of ounces if you do this.
    http://www.amazon.com/Appalachian-Th.../dp/1889386863
    I also use these maps which are helpful but not totally necessary:
    https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalo...id=26&compid=1

Other general advice: Keep the weight of your pack down. Don't hike too fast! You can actually hike farther by walking slower for a longer period of time and this will also reduce the chance of you getting an injury. Personally I would recommend bringing a water filter on this particular trip, you shouldn't have a problem finding water sources but there are several places where it is easiest to get water from ponds and in those cases I like to use an actual filter.

I have never personally needed to get into NYC from the A.T. however the Pawling train station seems like the easiest option, it's a couple of miles walk from where the A.T. crosses Route 22. (Just a warning, do not walk along the train tracks as a shortcut, it's considered trespassing and is enforced) The Pawling stop is on the Metro North Harlem Line and a link to their site is below. There is technically an Appalachian Trail train stop, but it runs an extremely limited schedule.

MTA schedule:
    http://as0.mta.info/mnr/schedules/sched_form.cfm

The walk from the A.T. to Pawling station:
    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Appa...d41.564205!3e2
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

even noobs can hike this area 15mi a day as long as your packs under 35lbs, lots of options to get to NYC when I hiked this area in 05' I took the option of a bus from Bear Mtn to Port Authority. Pretty much nearly every or every-other day an option to get to NYC between CT/NY line to DWG. here is a related topic http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...rtation-to-NYC

Wow. Thanks a ton guys! Incredibly helpful. I'm lovin this community

Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb Permit me to say this again

I've used just about every mass transit option between NYC and the A.T., between Carlisle PA and Hanover NH. If you want specific advice, I can give it.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...t=#post1839605

Journal Entries
    Images

I agree with the elf. Just like to add. Make sure you check with a real outfitter as far as footwear and socks. If your new to hiking with too much weight doing 15 miles per day the feet might blister up and the toe nails will be effected. I find at my age with 30 lbs total, I keep it down to around 10 miles a day until the feet adjust which takes a few hundred miles. Than I might stretch out to 15. Give yourself an extra couple days if that can be scheduled. No time in the woods is wasted time.
    Last edited by lemon b; 07-11-2014 at 10:28. Reason: spelling

++ New Posts ++