WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Lightweight Cooking Project

I have been working on an ultra light cooking solution for a couple of years now and I am curious what your thoughts are? I have two versions one made from stainless steel (1.8 oz.) and a titanium version (1 oz.). Both versions are compatible with Sterno, Trangia Spirit Stoves and various pop can stoves. It is 3.5" wide by 3.5" tall. Right now I am working on bringing the Critter CR2 to the masses through Kickstarter, so if you would like to become a backer you can check it out here: http://kck.st/1ufT0vg

I do value your questions and comments.

9a0df648f83330de9202d85655c62080_large (1).jpgCR2FxdSM0004.jpgPocket.jpg

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

The look is nice and sharp, it's very convenient (quick and easy to use) and stores small.

But if you're trying to attract the ultra-light-weight crowd, I would think that you would have to make sure your stand is in the same weight class as some of the DIY examples you can find on the Zen Stove Pages. I don't know, but just looking at your stand, it looks like is is several times more heavy than solutions like the tripod stand shown at Zen.

Another issue I possibly see (based on what you've got shown) is the fixed height. You can readily see by your second picture how different stoves put the flame at different distances from the bottom of your pot. With a DIY contraption, you can modify the height of your stand. So I would think that at a minimum you might need to design multiple stands at various heights.

Finally, contour of the stove support seems to be very limiting in what stoves will fit. Yes, the 'typical' pop-can design fits. But there are many stove designs out there that use very specific drink cans that are not shaped like a typical pop-can design. Two that quickly jump to mind that don't look like they would fit this stand is any stove designed around a 5.5oz cat food can, as well as the 'BottleStoves' advertised for sale on this very web site.

I agree. It looks great and the weight isn't bad but, the height as fore mentioned may be a problem. A lot of the alchy stove need to have the pot on them for pressure to get the best results. It does however seem to fit the Sterno well. If you can do something with the height I think you will have something.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

I knew it looked familiar so I did a quick search. Your design is reminisicent of the old Sterno Speed Cooker.

$_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-STER...p2054897.l4275

I'm pretty sure I have one of these in my collection at home (I'm taking a short break at work right now). There a number of solutions to the pot height thing. It might even be easier to put in fold out stops or cross bars to raise and lower the burner instead of the pot

It is interesting that you found that. I must be too young to have seen one of these before. It looks like it is built heavy duty. Thank you for your replies. In my next design I will have to think through the height issue for each of the stoves.

Great idea. Like the sterno and trangia application
    Demeter's Blog

Demeter's Video Channel

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images

It's not for all types of alcohol stoves. That's okay. What I like about it is it gets the stove off the ground, or for some people, picnic table.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Damn Yankee View Post
    I agree. It looks great and the weight isn't bad but, the height as fore mentioned may be a problem. A lot of the alchy stove need to have the pot on them for pressure to get the best results. It does however seem to fit the Sterno well. If you can do something with the height I think you will have something.
    That's interesting, I have never heard that before... I thought the pressure was created by the preheat, liquid expands to gas with heat to create pressure - are you thinking the penny stove? The distance is critical to allow enough oxygen to burn and provide heat to the biggest surface on the bottom of the pot... that's why side burners take longer, less heat transfer as the center of the pot is kept cool when sitting on the stove.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    I have been working on an ultra light cooking solution for a couple of years now and I am curious what your thoughts are? I have two versions one made from stainless steel (1.8 oz.) and a titanium version (1 oz.). Both versions are compatible with Sterno, Trangia Spirit Stoves and various pop can stoves. It is 3.5" wide by 3.5" tall. Right now I am working on bringing the Critter CR2 to the masses through Kickstarter, so if you would like to become a backer you can check it out here: http://kck.st/1ufT0vg

I do value your questions and comments.

9a0df648f83330de9202d85655c62080_large (1).jpgCR2FxdSM0004.jpgPocket.jpg
    I think it's a great product with some cool design features, the weight and simplicity being key, however I think your price point is a little high, if you could get it down the say the $11 to $13 dollar range, I think you'd sell a lot more, but that's just my 2 cents. good luck with it, it is pretty cool.

++ New Posts ++