WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default where do the PA rocks start?

I am planning a section hike north from the PA MD border. I have heard that the notorious PA rocks are in the northeast part of the state. Is that true? If it is, how far north can you go from PenMar before you encounter them?
    thanks
    R joints

Images

They start around Harper's Ferry but you get a little break from them in Southern PA. Looking back at my journal from my thru-hike I started complaining about the rocks again after William Penn Shelter.

Images

Meant to say around Front Royal is approximately where they start.

Journal Entries

Rusty Joints, to WhiteBlaze!

My husband and I have hiked all of Maryland, and a third of Pennsylvania, from Pen-Mar to Duncannon. While there certainly were rocks in MD, I don't remember them being much of an issue. Brian is right that Southern Penn includes some flat walks through cornfields and across some wide ridges, with a few rocky places thrown in to keep it interesting.
    I've always heard that it's further east that the rocks get really bad. I'm not looking forward to the rest of Pennsylvania because of it's rocky reputation.
    On the other hand, we hiked New Jersey in May, and they've got rocks there too. Quite a few of them.

i just finished hiking the state of PA, the rocks get pretty bad after 501 shelter, much worse than the southern part of PA. i'm praying the rocks in NJ/NY are not as bad. . .

.com

I'm pretty sure they start in Georgia
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

GA-ME 2011
    Images

The PA rocks start where the MD rocks end, PenMar Park

I always felt the rocky stuff starts north of Duncannon and the stretch between Lehigh Gap and Wind Gap was the roughest section.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

My experience (130 miles from PenMar to Rt 501) is that you will encounter rocks occasionally and some very easy terrain occasionally. I haven't done them yet, but the climb up the mountain at Lehigh Gap (near Palmerton) looks interesting, as well as the Knife Edge near Rt 309. If you are coming through this area, let us know, perhaps we can join you. - Disco
    136 contiguous miles of MD + rocky PA-AT down, but 2042 miles to go

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    The PA rocks start where the MD rocks end, PenMar Park

I always felt the rocky stuff starts north of Duncannon and the stretch between Lehigh Gap and Wind Gap was the roughest section.
    I think pretty much this is on the money. The rocks start in earnest as the Blue Mt. turns to the N.East and they continue to the Delaware river and beyond into NJ....the worst of it being just north of Wind Gap. It's like walkin on "Jumbo Giant" three grit sand paper.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I think pretty much this is on the money. The rocks start in earnest as the Blue Mt. turns to the N.East and they continue to the Delaware river and beyond into NJ....the worst of it being just north of Wind Gap. It's like walkin on "Jumbo Giant" three grit sand paper.
    Now I really can't wait.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

People think the PA rocks end at the NJ border. Nope, they go all the way to High Point State Park.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

I think the PA rocks start in PA... I could be wrong though.

Images

People think the PA rocks end at the NJ border. Nope, they go all the way to High Point State Park.
    and they take a brief hiatus an appear again after Wawayanda all the way to about Greenwood Lake NY

Images

rocks in PA are mainly north of Duncannon to DWG. That said they reside elsewhere too but I found the most overgrowth between those 2 points that makes the ankle killers the most deadly. Looking around at the beauty PA has to offer is difficult due to the rocks and overgrowth. Area shale in PA also is sharp and stepping on miles of it attempting to pierce the bottom of your shoes is what takes its toll on your feet, they will feel bruised and like bee sting victims look after disturbing a nest unknowingly.

I agree with everyone here:
    PA is full of rocks!
    Yet, the southern area has the fields, and the rock areas are not "quite as bad."
    The North? - OMG - those suckers have been sharpened and stick right up into your feet!
    -just my experience!

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by A.T.Lt View Post
    and they take a brief hiatus an appear again after Wawayanda all the way to about Greenwood Lake NY
    I think I saw some PA rocks in Connecticut too. At least they looked like PA rocks, sharp and pointy.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

I think I saw some PA rocks in Connecticut too. At least they looked like PA rocks, sharp and pointy.
    lol....yeah, that was them, pesky little critters.

I'd say that the "rocks" start to bleed in 5 miles south of Duncannon, and they get worse the farther north you go. They go all the way up to Delaware Water Gap. The fact is, they don't stop there. They keep going through half of Jersey. The only thing that "helps", is that for some reason, the rocks in Jersey aren't as sharp.
    2013 AT NOBO - 03/13/13 to 08/14/13

Quote Originally Posted by pistol p View Post
    I'd say that the "rocks" start to bleed in 5 miles south of Duncannon, and they get worse the farther north you go. They go all the way up to Delaware Water Gap. The fact is, they don't stop there. They keep going through half of Jersey. The only thing that "helps", is that for some reason, the rocks in Jersey aren't as sharp.
    ...it's the public schools.

foiled again by the white background straight forward threading....my bad! did it start out that way?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++