WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Locator gadgets

I've been using the Delorme InReach SE - which is a two-way device that uses the Irridium satellite constallation and has 100% global coverage. You can send and receive 160 character email/text messages you enter on the device (very slow and annoying) or pair it with your iPhone and use a real keyboard (a joy to use). You can post directly to social media too. The unit tells you when your message is delivered, so unlike the spot, you know it got through (or failed to). The Irridium network is great - I have no problem sending/receiving message, even under tree cover. They also include an interactive map for displaying tracking points. There is a new version that includes GPS navigation functions as well, but I haven't tried it...

Section Hiker

Also with InReach, I think you have the option to only subscribe to service part of the year. I got it year round: have backpack, will travel!

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

I have a Spot. I sent out my location from a few places just to say I was okay. The area was rather flat and not in canyons and such so it worked like expected. What I dislike is the fact that they tried to hit my credit card without my approval. When that happened I called them and had them cancel my subscribtion. I took the batteries out and threw the spot in my dresser. I do not deal well with companies that try to charge you without your approval no matter who they are. The spot will remain in my dresser until I find someone that wants to buy it. Rolls.
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

Devices like SPOT and Delorme InReach SE are not PLBs. Totally different system and infrastructure. http://www.acrartex.com/products/cat...cator-beacons/

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Murphy View Post
    Devices like SPOT and Delorme InReach SE are not PLBs. Totally different system and infrastructure. http://www.acrartex.com/products/cat...cator-beacons/
    Yeah. That's what I said up above. I carry an actual PLB when solo, off-trail or in winter conditions.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Just sent you a private message.

Carried a SPOT Gen 3, tracked all day, every day from Springer to Katahdin in 1 hour increments. Well worth it for family, friends, blog readers. The "end of day, I'm OK" message meant a lot to my parents and girlfriend.
    --
    Texaco
    GA-ME 2014 | April 4th - July 26th
    Long Trail Winter 2016 | December 19th - ......
    Endurance Adventuring / A.T. Resource Blog - www.2180miles.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++