WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Just as an aside, the photography in TrailGroove is beautiful!
    ...that's what keeps me comin back...and the written word too.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    It's just another tool. I started hiking in the 1970s, long before cell phones existed... so I didn't miss them. Didn't get my first cell phone till about 2002 or so, and my first "usable" smart phone less than a year ago.

I use the phone to keep in contact with my wife on multi-day hikes. She's a nervous Nellie, wants to hear from me. She understands that there will be days when I can't call. I've also used it to make contact with shuttlers and other service providers at road crossings.

Phone is off except when I choose to make a connection, usually in the evening, or sometimes at a high open peak where a signal is likely.

If battery life were not an issue, I'd use it for other things as well -- for music, maybe as a camera, e-book reader at camp, etc. On short hikes I may leave it on and use it as a camera. For local hikes (near my home) I've found the navigation features extremely useful. Just finding the trailhead is often a battle!
    ...nothing like with orderin' a pizza and having it delivered to the trail head after a hard day.

Can a brother get a Amen!

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    I can just imagin a tavern in Venice, about 1210AD and that crusty ol sailor bitching and whinin about those damn young hot shot sailors and their new fangled compass...

Yes..but I doubt those sailor's had bosses/customers demanding why they weren't avail on their vacation.

Technology is great. I've made a career of it afterall.

Does not mean I want people to have an expectation I can be reached 365/24/7.

And that happens more than you may think in today's business world. I've fought it and (mainly) won. Others have not.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Yes..but I doubt those sailor's had bosses/customers demanding why they weren't avail on their vacation.

Technology is great. I've made a career of it afterall.

Does not mean I want people to have an expectation I can be reached 365/24/7.

And that happens more than you may think in today's business world. I've fought it and (mainly) won. Others have not.
    the fax machine really put the screws to the working man...no excuse not to get it done NOW! but I won't carry one.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Just ran across this 2-oz device that creates a cellular network with your smartphone that can connect by text with similar devices, more or less line-of-sight with a 2-50 mile range. If enough people spread out over a wide enough area carried these then all but the most remote wilderness would be accessible.

http://www.cnet.com/news/gotenna-cre...here-on-earth/

Not saying that I would carry one, but I've finally resorted to carrying a smartphone if only because you can't find a payphone anymore!
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    Just ran across this 2-oz device that creates a cellular network with your smartphone that can connect by text with similar devices, more or less line-of-sight with a 2-50 mile range. If enough people spread out over a wide enough area carried these then all but the most remote wilderness would be accessible.

http://www.cnet.com/news/gotenna-cre...here-on-earth/

Not saying that I would carry one, but I've finally resorted to carrying a smartphone if only because you can't find a payphone anymore!
    I would like to see these banned in certain wilderness areas. I'm fine with the fact that I have no cell coverage in most of the Adirondack Park. I can tell my boss, "sorry, I won't be able to take your calls because I'm incommunicado where I'm going. If you absolutely must reach me, send out a guy with a dog to track me, because that's the only way you'll find me."

I find that most of the time, bosses bluster, but when push comes to shove, they won't come right out and admit that they expect 24/7/365 availability. Instead, it's "well, at a time like this...." which I can answer with, "I requested this specific time in writing months ago, so everyone on the team has had ample opportunity to plan around it. I've arranged for Xxxx to take my calls. I think this will be a good test for how well the organization can get along without me for a short period. I'd be irresponsible if I didn't have a plan for that. What if God forbid I got sick or had an accident?" When they continue to bluster, they rapidly realize that they're starting to say, "I own all your time, on or off the job." They are typically very reluctant to say that in so many words.

I did once have an episode of working for a psychopathic customer. Eventually I wound up writing a letter to my divisional VP, copy to the head of HR for my site, asking for written clearance to take off a specific weekend (not my normal work time) six months in advance, with a written coverage plan for handling my calls. I got a call back: "You totally don't need to do this!" I replied, "Then you shouldn't have any issue with approving this request, which I'm making in a superabundance of caution." I sent my management chain and my customer written reminders of the requested time, including the coverage plan, a month, two weeks, and a week in advance. Sure enough, on the Saturday morning, the customer is pitching a tantrum at my boss's boss demanding to know why I'm not answering the phone. Boss's boss is well aware, having got the reminders, that I'm away and have planned for the absence in excruciating detail. And it did get escalated as high as the divisional VP who had told me that I didn't need to clear the absence with her. She thanked me afterwards for making her aware of the situation.

We fired the customer about half a year later. He always used the subjects of his tantrums as excuses not to pay the bill. It took having me react as an adult to make the rest of the organization also start acting like adults and stop rewarding inappropriate behavior..
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

It's the 21st Century. Unless you have someone at home managing your affairs, you have to go online to check your banking, credit cards, etc. In 2007, I used public computers at libraries and hotels, but I don't trust them anymore. I don't own a smart phone right now, but if I did another long hike, I think I would need to get one. If I'm carrying it I would try to use it to replace books, maps and whatever other weight I can get rid of.

It may be the 21st century..does that mean technology people like Kevin and myself should be reached 365/24/7 ?

Technology is a great thing. In my pocket, I have a device that can look up directions, get recipes, take photos, send emails and have a quick video call with my adorable 4 yr old niece. Amazing!

On the other hand, there is a very unrealistic expectation, that is happening more and more, that your job is more important than rest of the life.

I work. I enjoy my current job. While technology is not my dream occupation, it has allowed me to take some long walks and purchase things for one of my real passions.

But it really is getting to the point where ALL your time is expected to be be owned.

Kevin and I want no part of that.

Sending off an "I'm OK" message to a loved one? Awesome!

Getting involved in a conference call because some sales person needs something done RIGHT. THIS. INSTANT.

No.

Tools are great.

But they can be misused.

What was supposed to save us time is taking up more and more of our time.

The shackle may be lined with velvet, but it still a shackle if you are not careful.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

"On the other hand, there is a very unrealistic expectation, that is happening more and more, that your job is more important than rest of the life.
    "Order order order efficiency proficiency produce produce produce.........we own you. crack snap crack that whip onward upward be the obedient worker minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    It may be the 21st century..does that mean technology people like Kevin and myself should be reached 365/24/7 ?
    No. I didn't mean that. My experience is sort of the opposite. I can't phone my job in, because of technology. If somebody had a question, I have to have my work computer to find the information or run some program to generate the information.

I do too. But the expectation is that not only can I be reached, but I have a hotspot on my iPhone so I can do,work on my company issued laptop.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

8 for 8 headed for the gate baby, see ya Monday...Maybe, depends on if my team wins Sunday and how upset it makes me.

The Boss~Socks, how come you only work 4 days a week, when everyone else is here for the whole nut.

Socks~ Cause I can't make it on three.

A lot of people are "camping out" with technology:
    Attached Images Attached Images

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++