WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Trying to find Matt Kirks hike info

Does anyone know where I can find Matt Kirk's hiking data from his record ? His daily mileage ect..
    thanks in advance

Images

Google is a good place to start

...and here, sorry can't edit right now.

http://sub60.wikispaces.com/About

Default "Unsupported" AKA "Self-supported"

I appreciate this hiker for contacting me with his intentions to go after the "self supported record." I thought that it may be pertinent to share my response publicly for what it's worth, so here it is:

I respect other people's definitions of "self supported" but I also believe the greatest respect should go to the individual who set the current "self supported" mark. I follow in the footsteps of a great before me (Ted "Cave Dog" Keizer) who helped me learn this etiquette ("do as much or more as the current record holder"). The definition for "self supported" will continue to be refined, but hopefully in one direction, which is further away (not toward) support.

When I set the guidelines for my 2013 hike, I based them off those written by a well-respected contemporary and "self supported" record setter (Scott Williamson) and made them as cut and dry as possible for my own sake as well as others. I believe you already found them, but they are written here: http://sub60.wikispaces.com/About

In my final preparations, I learned of another individual's 2013 AT attempt (Scott Simcox) who had an additional restriction that I particularly liked (moving further away from support) and that was "no mail drops." I had already invested a good bit of money and time into preparing drops for myself and was too far along in my preparations to annex this guideline, but I still like this idea. You mention a distaste for mail drops, so perhaps you could add this restriction.

In summary, I believe to truly "do as much or more as the current record holder" for this "self supported record", one must lower the elapsed time from the summit of Big K to Springer with as many, or more restrictions in support as the previous record holder. I appreciate you contacting me with your intentions and wish you a safe and successful hike! Happy trails!

I'd rather see giving up something else besides maildrops.
    They are more important to some than others.

What else to give up?
    Phones?
    Weather reports?
    Shelters?

I see a whole can of worms here.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

I disagree with Matt on his "all previous rules apply" approach while I do agree with the Williamson set of rules which appear to be the standard that most attempts are using. If someone added the caveat of no mail drops then more power to them. But if someone comes along and beats that time while doing maildrops then they hold the record. "The all previous rules apply" approach could get ridiculous. How about no sleeping in shelters, no Advil, no caffeine, no hotel or hostel stays, no trail magic (real or imaginary). All these items would change the nature of the hike not to mention "no record unless there are 13 or more days of rain.) ".

In my view, so long as you carry all your gear and don't have a crew that meets up with you periodically, yourself supported. If you want to handicap yourself with additional restrictions like no mail drops or hitch hiking to town, that's fine.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

For a self supported hike I think mail drops should be allowed and here's why. Let's say you blow out your shoes or need a piece gear and there is no outfitter around. You should be able to Amazon drop it in.

I do not think a hiker should be able to except trail magic and here's why. In the case of Joey Camps people were beginning to show up at trail heads waiting for him once it look like he was going to break the record. Twice he was asked to give interviews and someone showed up to run with him. I don't know if anyone showed up to give trail magic but someone easily could have SO EVEN IF HE DID NOT PREARRANGE THE TRAIL MAGIC THE TRAIL ANGLES THAT COME OUT TO FEED A RECORD BREAKER ARE NO LONGER TRAIL ANGLES, THEY BECOME SUPPORTERS.

Quote Originally Posted by Chair-man View Post
    SO EVEN IF HE DID NOT PREARRANGE THE TRAIL MAGIC THE TRAIL ANGLES THAT COME OUT TO FEED A RECORD BREAKER ARE NO LONGER TRAIL ANGLES, THEY BECOME SUPPORTERS.
    I disagree. These were not pre-arranged or scheduled by the hiker. If someone wants to wait for him to come by and give said hiker a sandwich, it would be rude to refuse it. This something the hiker did not count on or need and is no different then any other thru hiker getting trail magic.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    and is no different then any other thru hiker getting trail magic.
    It is different because they would be coming out to feed a specific hiker not just random hikers.

I would like to thank Matt. I did fail. But the quest is still in my radar. On an attempt like that like when you fall behind even 10 miles it's an insurmountable miles to make up. Plus it's just not plain fun. I still hiked over a 1000 miles this year, with no plans to stop. I thought about the 130 mile Northville-placid trail. But a guy ran than nonstop, Scott ,Matt , Pharr have more than my respect and I've never had a problem doing back to back 40's

...with an attitude like that, sounds to me like you didn't fail at all...next time.

++ New Posts ++