Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Default Downside to Pstyle-Type Devices??

So, had an experienced male hiker ( me, not so much experience) suggest that I would not want to consistency use the Pstyle, or another device that allows me to go while standing, as a substitute for squatting as I "am sure to get a yeast infection" by doing so. I got the "trust me I know what I'm talking about" statement. This person was president of a local AT club and has lead many coed hiking/camping trips. I don't have a lot of experience with it yet but I love it! Has anyone had problems with this issue that they can trace back to using a "stand to pee" device?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Images

Ummm...a man is telling you that if you squat you are "sure to get a yeast infection"?! I really don't think that he knows what he is talking about! Why would standing straight up or squatting with your knees bent have anything to do with a yeast infection?

I have a "pee funnel" and although it is fun to use, it is a pain to carry and search for everytime you have to pee. If you have bad knees and can't squat it might be useful, but you CAN pee in the woods without a full squat.

I took it once on a 4 day backpack, but it was just an extra thing to carry, for me it was not worth the trouble. It's good for car camping or when you have to use a nasty porta-potty.

I would ask your "President of the local hiking club" why he thinks he is an expert in yeast infections just because he has lead a "coed hike". It is completely false that a yeast or any type of bacterial infection is caused by squatting, it has more to do with hygiene and the cleanliness of your underwear.

I love my pstyle.!

There is no reason a change in position while urinating would increase the risks of yeast infection.

Yeast infections can result, though, from pants/underwear that do not allow any air ventilation. Choosing the right camp pants may go a long way in helping here.

Cleaning the areas in discussion daily will also be a benefit. Those who are prone to yeast infections will tend to get them anyway.

Images

I think he's full of crap & intimidated because now girls can do something that's always been a "guy only" thing.

Quote Originally Posted by minda View Post
    I think he's full of crap & intimidated because now girls can do something that's always been a "guy only" thing.
    That was my first thought as well...

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by doritotex View Post
    Ummm...a man is telling you that if you squat you are "sure to get a yeast infection"?!
    doritotex, he was saying that using a Pstyle-type device all the time would lead to a yeast infection that squatting would be better. I believe he is confusing a yeast infection with a UTI but even then I think that unlikely if you are careful about placement, keeping the device and yourself clean and relaxing enough to allow your bladder to completely empty to avoid infection secondary to retention. I was just allowing for the fact that he has been exposed to a whole lot more long-distance female hikers than I and had possibly heard something mentioned along the way. Rather than rely solely on his "experience" I thought I would bring it to those who have been there and done that and see what their experiences have been.

I respect the fact that you didn't really care for such a device and don't want to use one but I appreciate the ease of use and modesty it affords me. And I have a zippered pocket on my hipbelt that is the perfect size for it, some wipes and TP and a small bottle of hand sanitizer.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Journal Entries

minda and old boot - that thought crossed my mind!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Riocielo View Post
    I love my pstyle.!

There is no reason a change in position while urinating would increase the risks of yeast infection.

Yeast infections can result, though, from pants/underwear that do not allow any air ventilation. Choosing the right camp pants may go a long way in helping here.

Cleaning the areas in discussion daily will also be a benefit. Those who are prone to yeast infections will tend to get them anyway.
    Riocielo, I agree with what you said. I believe he is confusing yeast infection with UTI for reasons stated in another response.

Do you have any recommendations on camp pants? I currently planning to start out in early March and am planning on merino wool base layer (top and bottom) with a fleece insulating layer. I have seen mention of wearing cotton items at camp/to sleep in but not sure how that will work during the colder months.

Lady Thru-hiker,

As long as the pants aren't too restrictive or tight there should be adequate ventilation. Tight panties or underwear csn often lead to yeast infections.

As far as UTIs, not prolonging urination (full bladders lead to sediment formation and increased risks of UTI.) Cleansing after urination can be as simple as a swipe (after all, that's what we do with TP at home.) A good wiping down there each day will help tremendously. And all females should ALWAYS wipe front-to-back every time!

I have nothing more to add that hasn't already been said. I have a pStyle and love it. Never had any of the problems discussed above, but do take some flack from guys who can't wrap their mind around girls standing to pee. I shrug them off, what do they know about the subject anyways

Journal Entries

Thank you ladies for your input and straightforwardness. I feel I can stand and pee without concern and I'm loving it!

Images

Just had a bizarre thought. Does he know how the p style works? When I first got mine, the hubs thought it had to be inserted... which done too often might cause an infection...

Journal Entries

Just had a bizarre thought. Does he know how the p style works? When I first got mine, the hubs thought it had to be inserted... which done too often might cause an infection...
    I guess that is possible minda. Never thought to ask him if he knew how it works. Perhaps I should next time I see him.

Used the Pstyle for a week on the trail with no issues. And if done right, it leaves less mess and "drip dry" time. Totally love it and had zero issues with it. Even got to pee off a mountain cliff like I've always wanted to do! Ah, the freedom!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WineyJack View Post
    Used the Pstyle for a week on the trail with no issues. And if done right, it leaves less mess and "drip dry" time. Totally love it and had zero issues with it. Even got to pee off a mountain cliff like I've always wanted to do! Ah, the freedom!
    Thanks for sharing WineryJack. Totally intend to keep using it. Can't wait to try it off a cliff

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker View Post
    Thanks for sharing WineryJack. Totally intend to keep using it. Can't wait to try it off a cliff
    Be careful. I learned a lesson or two from my husband about how to pee standing up.
    Lesson #1 - Don't pee into the wind. There just might be a breeze at that cliff.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Be careful. I learned a lesson or two from my husband about how to pee standing up.
    Lesson #1 - Don't pee into the wind. There just might be a breeze at that cliff.
    Thanks illabelle I'll will definitely remember to check to see which way the wind is blowing first

Quote Originally Posted by 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker View Post
    I believe he is confusing a yeast infection with a UTI but even then I think that unlikely if you are careful about placement, keeping the device and yourself clean and relaxing enough to allow your bladder to completely empty to avoid infection secondary to retention.
    I think that you have nailed it. "Hovering" over the toilet seat can lead to UTI. http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Kidney-...revention.aspx Maybe this is what he was talking about. I think I'd file his (and all...) advice in the HYOH File, and try the Pstyle and if it will either work or not work for you.

I've never used any Pstyle thing as I just don't want to carry one. I've hiked in a skirt and pee'd standing up and have never gotten any infections (but YMMV). Mostly, I try and sit on a rock or log, mostly because it helps with splatter.

EWWWWW!!! LOL!!! But, major ICK!

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Isn't that called a catheter?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++