WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Zpack Rain Gear

Default Zpack Rain Gear

Has anyone done a long distance hike using ZPacks Rain gear and if so how did you find it's ability to stand up to wear by the pack?
    http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/wpb_jacket.shtml and their pants as well!

JJ

Quote Originally Posted by jjozgrunt View Post
    Has anyone done a long distance hike using ZPacks Rain gear and if so how did you find it's ability to stand up to wear by the pack?
    http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/wpb_jacket.shtml and their pants as well!

JJ
    I have the rain jacket that I've worn about a dozen times under my Zpacks Exo pack (discontinued). So far, no signs of wear.

ZPacks changed their fabric for this jacket so make sure you get durability opinions based on their current offering which I think is new for the 2014 season. Just a guess, but I would think the new 3 layer laminate Joe is using, which I have not seen or demoed yet, will offer a bit more durability than previous versions and perhaps a bit more breathability. I haven't seen any tech stats on MVTR though. Contact Joe. He usually gets right back to you with technical questions.

All the materials involved are proven materials for non-bushwhacking uses. I wouldn't be too gun-shy to try them. The only unproven item might be the adhesives used to laminate the varying materials, but this is likely not a huge concern either. If they really messed up, it will de-laminate well within the warranty period. If not, you are likely talking 5, 10, or more years until failure. And as a 3 layer, regardless of the composition, it will likely not be as breathable as a 2.5 layer jacket.

OTH- not much cheaper, lighter, etc than other options from folks like Patagonia with Lifetime warranties. I like Zpacks, but not sure this particular item is a ground-breaker and there are infinite options in this category with similar specs. In addition, like all laminated WPB membrane jackets, you are subject to the performance of the DWR coated outer layer- something other companies have more experience with.

Looks like they address Sock's desire for a hip length rain jacket-
    Upgrade to 40" (101 cm) Two-Way Jacket Zipper +1.5 ounces (42 grams)

This option extends the length of the jacket to 40 inches. It extends to just above the knees on an average height person. This is a good option for those who hike in running shorts and want to skip rain pants in the summer months. The two-way zipper is a larger #5 size zipper. It opens from both the top and the bottom for venting and to allow a longer stride. It adds about 1.5 ounces (42 grams) to the weight of the jacket. 40" Two-Way Zipper - $20

I used both the pants and jacket this year for GA-PA with plenty of use and no signs or wear. If I could go back I would skip the pants.

Journal Entries

Good jacket, good cut and design for hikers
    Good waterproof zippers,
    Like pit zips
    Seems waterproof.
    Packs small
    Not sure there is DWR on outer.

Doesnt matter. No jacket is breathable enough anyway hiking in rain. Its a figment of someones imagination.

Satisfied so far, but not much use in rain yet. Well see after the long trail.

Journal Entries

Just can't bring myself to spend that kind of money!

++ New Posts ++