WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BobTheBuilder View Post
    While I am not advocating spending OPM wildly, I would much rather have people seeking that money write individual grant requests justifying the need for instead of funding a full-time Federal Department of Recreational Trails.
    Sadly, this will be the next step. Think of a massive GSMNP.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

I could care lees how the money is spent, till it's spent wrong I patently await it's findings. That said, I don't think the question is if the AT is over used...it is! IMHO, but rather how much over use? (I cannot even begin to understand how one quantifies a number like that)...so again, I'm curious how the study shakes out.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Sadly, this will be the next step. Think of a massive GSMNP.
    You already have Baxter State Park that's far more regulated than GSMNP. And it is pristine, for just that reason.

One does not simply arrive at the JMT to hike it; one applies for access over a specific range of dates.

I don't see either of these as signs of "government overreach."

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    You already have Baxter State Park that's far more regulated than GSMNP. And it is pristine, for just that reason.

One does not simply arrive at the JMT to hike it; one applies for access over a specific range of dates.

I don't see either of these as signs of "government overreach."
    That will TOTALLY change the AT from what we know it as today. In my eyes this is a sad thing, and it will be gone.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I could care lees how the money is spent, till it's spent wrong I patently await it's findings. That said, I don't think the question is if the AT is over used...it is! IMHO, but rather how much over use? (I cannot even begin to understand how one quantifies a number like that)...so again, I'm curious how the study shakes out.
    AT overused? Depends on where and when. The beauty spots in the Whites and in GSMNP, maybe. The rest of it, not so much.

In my humble opinion, I'm sorry to see so much day-hiker traffic in the Hundred Mile Wilderness, but that's just me being selfish I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    AT overused? Depends on where and when. The beauty spots in the Whites and in GSMNP, maybe. The rest of it, not so much.

In my humble opinion, I'm sorry to see so much day-hiker traffic in the Hundred Mile Wilderness, but that's just me being selfish I suppose.
    Well at least your honest. I do see the trail as over used, but have nothing to back that up, and it is largely an emotional response and certainly just opinion, again curious how this study will determine overuse, and what can be done...not the popular choice, but perhaps it should be regulated.
    popcorn.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I read somewhere the federal gov't is considering a new Health Tax added on to the cost of a Diet Coke. They say the money will go to preventing diabetes in children, better meals in public schools, education, more law enforcement, and help repair crumbling infrastructure.
    Cool, I'm a Pepsi drinker...sorry Chin you loose Pepsi pretty good though, give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Cool, I'm a Pepsi drinker...sorry Chin you loose Pepsi pretty good though, give it a try.
    I'll learn to roll my own.

I'll learn to roll my own.
    Pepsi, not Pepi

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Wow, was that the one with the Belgian Endive? I remember that one being trotted out. And I remember saying to my then-grlfriend (now wife), "Gee, if I were growing Belgian endive, I'd hope that the agricultural extension service would be able to offer some advice on the subject!" But it makes better press to spear "waste" than figure out what's actually going on.
    Don't recall, but the prof got his 15 minutes of fame that week on campus. MSU is a cow college so there's lots of ag research and MI grows lots of fruits and vegetables.

Journal Entries
    Images

Seems like the consensus is that this study and it's related educational component are sorely needed.

Or put it another way, the ATC has failed to do its job.

Who commissioned the study? or does it even work like that??? for grant monies.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Seems like the consensus is that this study and it's related educational component are sorely needed.

Or, to put it more charitably, that the ATC's job is bigger than the ATC's resources. (It's a coordinating organization, and an advocacy organization, but surely doesn't do everything related to the Trail.)
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Or, to put it more charitably, that the ATC's job is bigger than the ATC's resources.
    Beware of your new master.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post

Huh? How do reach that conclusion? Unless it's for failing to already have adopted Jeff Marion's practices more widely?

What I read from the story (in the opening post) is that there are a bunch of smart cookies looking to do some research and data gathering, and some education and advocacy of LNT principles; what I hear from Skyline and Another Kevin is that this guy Marion knows his stuff.

As I understand it, ATC is far smaller than many of its member organizations. NY/NJTC had a booth at an event I was at a couple of weekends ago (folk music at a state park along the Hudson) and I of course wanted to talk to them about the AT. They were vaguely interested but not all that much. From a map on the wall of their booth, I realized that, to them, the AT was just one of hundreds of trails in their domain. The same is true for many of the ATC member organizations, I think. AMC had a booth also. ATC did not.

As a retired soil scientist, hiker, and volunteer trail crew alumnus I support this study. I don't believe the ATC has the capacity to conduct research. They have been maintaining trail and providing guidelines on trail maintenance for 50 plus years, but I don't know how much of this is based on any research on best management practices. I remember working on trail crews in Maine and TN in the 90's and all we did for a week was build water bars. I was at Konnarock this spring and discovered water bars are no longer considered as an acceptable tool because of maintenance concerns. I think it is a good idea to figure out what works so our efforts trying to maintain this trail for everyone to enjoy are maximized.
    More walking, less talking.

Registered User Kaptain Kangaroo's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by soilman View Post
    ......... I think it is a good idea to figure out what works so our efforts trying to maintain this trail for everyone to enjoy are maximized.
    Exactly !!! The ATC, maintaining clubs, and volunteers have limited resources, time and money for looking after this wonderful trail. If this study can help them understand how to get the "most bang for their (limited) buck" then it is a worthy endeavour...

It is a sad mindset that thinks spending a little money to make a bigger gain is a "waste"

Please bring this thread back in a coupla years after all the wonderful relevations.

Please bring this thread back in a coupla years after all the wonderful relevations.
    Tis always true..."History will show" it can't be denied.

Journal Entries
    Images

If I understand what you are saying, a talented academic with a $300,000 budget will make these accomplishments in a couple years, where as the ATC has failed to do so with it's $6 million dollar annual budget, very talented leadership, over the course of decades.

Really?

Don't get me wrong. Using an outside consultant to focus an organization's energies torwads a goal it already understands can be a good strategy. It's done all the time. To the extent the study has already been funded by th NPS and supported by the ATC that could well be the case.

If those worthy organizations' intent is to use this $300 to "sell" ideas regarding the setup around shelters and future trail routing to the individual clubs, the study may pay benefits.

Just saying that the concepts that will be promoted (or should be) are already known to the ATC and those who are involved.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++