WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

freeze-dried meals-dinner potato chips, jerky/bacon, and nut butters -lunch are the cal density you seek in addition to the powder supplements mentioned...light, compact, calorie-dense, expensive.
    See ya when I get there.

I'm really trying to see clearly defined goals Nomad Venturer. I'm not seeing you clearly state in one sentence what you are after. I'm confused. You're now saying you are seeking optimal UL (trail)food based on: Vegan diet, + No heat(no cook), + Unsupported. BUT, you now leave out what you said or alluded to in past posts. Must I go back and requote you here regarding your desire to?: "maxing out miles", "speed hiking", "Triple Crowning in under a year", and "Triple Crowning in a sub 240 day period." I ask because it is my contention that a "optimal UL food plan", especially one where you are placing severe restrictions on food wt and variety over the long term, is heavily influenced by and integral to whether or not you also are planning to "max out miles", "speed hike", go after a TC in less than 1 yr, and/or go after a TC in a sub 240 day period.

Cool

Vegetable oils, for your Vegan diet, are the calorie dense champions at 251 calories/ounce. Olive, peanut, pecan, etc., etc. are all the same.
    Folks who cross icecaps pack their sleds with tubs of butter at 203 calories/ounce. It is a solid at the ambient temperatures encountered on icecaps. Travels well. Can be eaten with a spoon.
    I do not think that there is an UL equivalent for nuts & oils that do not require cooking. If you find one, let us know please.
    If you do finish a 1 year TC please tell us all about your diet. We would love to know the secret.
    In the meantime, milk shakes, peanut butter, chocolate, bacon, jerky, ice cream, pizza, EVOO, peanut oil, pecan oil, coconut oil, etc., etc. are the calorie dense foods of choice. Dogwood's diet being the exception to the rule.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by DLP View Post
    Bears and rodents will happily eat anything that is food or food-ish. My neighbor had a bear eat his orange scented dish soap.
    LOL I cant help thinking about when he went to expel it the next day...had to be bad.

Quote Originally Posted by thecyclops View Post
    LOL I cant help thinking about when he went to expel it the next day...had to be bad.
    Reminds me of having Baltimore Jack share his story of arriving at camp one night after an arduous day of hiking famished and in dire thirst. He mistakenly made his Orange Tang drink with look a like Kraft Macaroni & Cheese dry mix, "Orange Death Powder" as he described it, he found, I think he said in a plastic baggie in a hiker box. Guzzled down the drink before he knew his mistake. Yuk! LOL.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++