WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Ps: Cooking has 2 os.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

@ HooKooDooKu. I was able to find them. I'd say they are less than 1/2 a lb and 10$ at walmart. I am very happy. Thank you!!!

@ quasarr & Venchka Please do not apologize for the length or the sermon. Your recommendations are helpful. It is great hearing how other hikers think about gear since I have never have. I will go to REI tomorrow and look into the REI flash 62. I will just pick up gear from REI and see if it can hold most of what I think I will use. It would also save me money so I love that.

Thanks for the rain gear recommendation as well. I think that may work for me.

After I get my use of the pocket rocket, I will try out the Fancy feat homemade stove. That was amazing. Serious ingenuity. I love that.

@ Venchka. I understand what you are saying. I say the same thing to my father every times he buys the inexpensive item and has to replace it a couple of months later. You get what you pay for. I get that. I just can't all at once spend that kind of money. My hope is this gear gets me passed this beginner stage and they start to wear out at different stages so that I can stagger my bigger purchases.

You will find a new model of the Flash 62 in the stores. Last years model is on sale in the Online Outlet only. Unless, your store has an one from last year in stock. That can happen. Either way, the new one and the old one are very similar.
    If you are careful, the gear won't wear out. You can sell it. Get some of your money back.
    Good luck.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Also, WB's own Mags has written some great blog posts for beginners about cheap gear and how to lighten up

http://www.pmags.com/lightweight-backpacking-101

http://www.pmags.com/dirt-bagging

SMD skyscape scout runs for $125 new.

Quote Originally Posted by ams212001 View Post
    SMD skyscape scout runs for $125 new.
    Thanks ams212001. Do you use it/have you used it? That is a 3 lbs savings for approximately the same price.

Anything I should know before purchasing? Dependability? Condensation as it is 1 wall? How well it holds up in rain and wind?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by AO2134 View Post
    I was leaning towards the therm-a-rest trail scout despite the additional money given some youtube reviews, but it seems you guys prefer the ridgerest. Am i reading you guys right? I do plan to strap it to the bottom of my pack if I do decide to go with it. It is lighter as well. Also, no worries about inability to inflate if the worst should happen. I think I have been convinced.
    First of all, do not concern yourself with an inflatable deflating. Inflatable pads seldom get punctures, and usually come with a repair kit. But the other reason to not worry about them deflating is because you're talking about hiking in warmer weather where the loss of a sleeping pad creates a discomfort as opposed to a danger for loss of its insulation properties as needed in winter.

The RidgeRest is a good quality and reliable sleeping pad. But it is also very thin. If you are light weight and a back sleeper, that might be just fine. But if you've put on a few pounds since your school days or if you are a side or stomach sleeper, you might find the RidgeRest to not be comfortable enough and need something thicker.

The Trail Scout is a step up from the RidgeRest, but it's still a low-end sleeping pad.

I personally have a problem recommending any sleeping pad except for something in the class of the Therm-a-rest NeoAir XLite series. These are great pads because they are light, thick, and easy to pack, and pack small.

A RidgeRest, as you've already realized, pretty much has to be lashed onto your pack. Something like the Trail Scout packs small enough to fit inside your pack, but it's still a relatively bulky item. If you spend twice the money, you could move up to the Therm-a-rest ProLite. It has about the same weight as the NeoAir and packs about as small (with some effort). But even the ProLite is only as thick as the Trail Scout and is tough to pack as small as the NeoAir (but can be... if you get a ProLite Regular, it can be packed into a Threrm-a-rest ProLite stuff sag size small).

So the NeoAir wins all around for me because it is thick, light, easy to pack, and packs small. But obviously the price is huge for someone starting out. I think the price is worth it... though I must admit I at least waited until REI had one of their 20% of a single item sale before I splurged on a NeoAir.

RidgeRest - 0.62" thick, weights 14oz, packs down to 8"x20", Full Retail $30
    Trail Scout - 1" thick, weights 20oz, packs down to 5.4"x11", Full Retail $50
    ProLite - 1" thick, weights 16oz, packs down to 4.1"x11", Full Retail $100
    NeoAir - 2.5" thick, weights 12oz, packs down to 4"x9", Full Retail $160
    (All specs for size 'regular' i.e. 20"x72")

So this is a place where you pretty much get what you pay for. The price curve above is pretty step, but each step is a significant improvement in over all performance.
    Because I would want to point you towards the NeoAir if you plan to hike with any regularity, you might want to simply start with something even cheaper than the RidgeRest. There's the Blue Foam Walmart pad for less than $15, and there are some other similar pads available at Acadamey Sports in the range of $10-$20. This is a place where I'm sure you're going to eventually need to step up and buy something more expensive, you might want to start as cheap as possible. The only down side is that if you find you're not liking camping because of difficulty sleeping, you won't know what you really need until you spend some money.

Last month the REI Annual Anniversary Surprise: Thermarest NeoAir pads were 30% off. Big grin. I pounced on a NeoAir Xtherm Large. I have spent close to 2 weeks on it in my apartment. A winner. The REI store in Houston was full of similar 30% items: REI clothing, REI & Smartwool socks, Keen & Merrill footwear, Exped Air Pillow, Mountain House dinners, a lot of backpacks, etc. Everything that I had been waiting to purchase with the 1 item 20% off coupon was on sale in unlimited quantities for 30% off. I had trouble finding something to use my 20% coupon on.

In one of my previous posts to this thread I said that not everyone, myself included, can sleep on a thin foam pad. I own a Ridgerest and a generic blue foam CCF pad. I let my grandkids use them. I may use the blue foam pad under the Xtherm if I ever get out in real winter conditions.

The REI Flash is a budget friendly pad. Higher R-value & similar weight as the Ridgerest. Grab it on sale someday. http://www.rei.com/product/845300/re...g-pad#specsTab

Wayne

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

6 tips for picking the perfect sleeping-bag.

http://www.nemoequipment.com/6-thing...-sleeping-bag/
    Me: Ricky
    Husky: Jack
    Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.
    From Dalton, Georgia (65 mi above Altanta, 15mi south of Chattanooga)

I tried on the REI Flash 62 on the store. I really, really liked it, but I am concerned if all my gear/clothes etc will fit in there. I had 25ish lbs in the pack. My gear will be quite a bit heavier than that. Likely 7-10 lbs heavier. I don't think this pack could safely handle it and stand the test of time (whereas the Yosemite I think will last me forever). However, there is at least a 1lb 12 oz difference, which is huge. REI Flash is 10 $ more expensive, which is negligible. The REI flash at the outlet is a M and I am a large. So no saving there.

I felt slightly less comfortable with the REI Yosemite 75, but I also had much more weight in it. I had 35lbs in it easily. I could have added more if I needed to. And I anticipate my gear etc. to be in that ballpark.

I may get the REI passege 1 http://www.rei.com/product/827809/rei-passage-1-tent (4 lbs 6 oz) OR Skyscape - Scout http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/SkyscapeScout.html (< 3 lbs).

If i get the skyscape, I can likely get away with the REI Flash 62. That would bring my big three total weight to 4 lbs 5 oz for sleeping back Trestles 30 + Ridgerest, which I bought today, REI Flash 62 (3 lbs), and Skyscape scout (<3 lbs). A respectable 10 lbs 5 oz for big three and fairly cheap. I am comfortable with REI Flash 62 as a heavy duty day back as well. But for most day hikes, I don't even bring a pack or just a simple cinch gym pack with water and cliff bars.

If I get the Passage 1 tent and Yosemite, I am in more trouble. That would bring my big three total weight to 4 lbs 5 oz for sleeping back Trestles 30 + Ridgerest, which I bought today, REI Yosemite 75 (4 lbs 12 oz), and REI Passage 1 (4 lbs 5 oz). A respectable 10 lbs 5 oz for big three and fairly cheap. 13 lbs 6 oz. That would be 3 additional lbs.

I may go with the passage 1 + REI Flash 62, which would be 11 lbs 10 oz.

I don't like the idea of the skyscape scout because of the return policy on a tent I have never seen, whereas with REI i have a year.

I don't know. I am just thinking out loud at this point.

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

Don't forget that you can store your pad and sleeping bag on the outside..... So that doesn't need to fit inside. (Not sure if you were fitting your pack with that in it or not. But just a reminder)
    Me: Ricky
    Husky: Jack
    Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.
    From Dalton, Georgia (65 mi above Altanta, 15mi south of Chattanooga)

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky&Jack View Post
    Don't forget that you can store your pad and sleeping bag on the outside..... So that doesn't need to fit inside. (Not sure if you were fitting your pack with that in it or not. But just a reminder)
    I have the REI Flash (Large) and usually start a weekend hike with about 30 to 35 lbs (includes food and water).

Because I was used to a Kelty Super Tioga with several lash points, I had difficulty trying to figure out how to get everything in the REI Flash. You really only have one good lash point (the straps under the bag). Otherwise, there's just a couple of loops around the margins of the pack to connect a few lightweight items (like water/camp shoes... perhaps rig something to deal with a light weight pad like the RidgeLine).

What I found I had to do was to lash my tent to the bottom of the pack, then insert my sleeping bag and sleeping pad in the bottom of the pack. Then pack my cloths around the sleeping bag and sleeping pad. Cooking equipment and food bag then sat on top of all that. 1st aid and Toiletry bags go in the top cover pocket, misc items in the large pocket on the back, and stuff that needs air to dry (water filter, dew rag) stuffed behind the mesh.

BTW, the way I make my pack effectively water proof (eliminating the need for a rain cover) by placing the sleeping bag, sleeping pad, and cloths inside of a scent-free trash compactor bag. Close up the bag and place stuff that can get wet (cook pot) onto top the the bag and top it off with my water-proof food bag. Individual items that must stay dry (1st aid kit and toilet paper) are then inside there own ziplock bags.

I planned to strap the Ridgerest to the bottom of my pack if I get the Flash 62, but I need to make some modifications to the pack because it will not fit in the straps they provide in the pack. Maybe I should go with the Therm-a-Rest Z Lite Sol Sleeping Pad as it may be smaller. They didn't have it in my local REI. I may also consider putting the tent in the brain of the bag. If I can do both of these, I think the Flash 62 may be a good bet even with the passage 1 tent.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

HooKooDooKu is right about pads.

Note that the XYZ-Mart blue foam will always be useful. I have one that I carry as a second pad in winter to add insulation to my ProLite. And I have one that's pretty torn up that I've turned into bits and pieces of foam for other "make your own" projects. For example, one piece is a "sit pad" for day trips in cold or wet weather. Another small square sits under the little fan on my desktop at work, because otherwise the vibration from the fan is deafening.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    I have the REI Flash (Large) and usually start a weekend hike with about 30 to 35 lbs (includes food and water).

Because I was used to a Kelty Super Tioga with several lash points, I had difficulty trying to figure out how to get everything in the REI Flash. You really only have one good lash point (the straps under the bag). Otherwise, there's just a couple of loops around the margins of the pack to connect a few lightweight items (like water/camp shoes... perhaps rig something to deal with a light weight pad like the RidgeLine).

What I found I had to do was to lash my tent to the bottom of the pack, then insert my sleeping bag and sleeping pad in the bottom of the pack. Then pack my cloths around the sleeping bag and sleeping pad. Cooking equipment and food bag then sat on top of all that. 1st aid and Toiletry bags go in the top cover pocket, misc items in the large pocket on the back, and stuff that needs air to dry (water filter, dew rag) stuffed behind the mesh.

BTW, the way I make my pack effectively water proof (eliminating the need for a rain cover) by placing the sleeping bag, sleeping pad, and cloths inside of a scent-free trash compactor bag. Close up the bag and place stuff that can get wet (cook pot) onto top the the bag and top it off with my water-proof food bag. Individual items that must stay dry (1st aid kit and toilet paper) are then inside there own ziplock bags.
    Thanks. That makes me feel better about buying the REI Flash 62. It says its 25-45lbs, but I would never put 45 lbs in there. I was hoping it could do mid-30's. 33-38 lbs.

Pack, sleeping system, and tent = 11 lbs 5 oz. Food and Water 11 lbs. Misc. 10-12 lbs. I think I have a plan here.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by AO2134 View Post
    I planned to strap the Ridgerest to the bottom of my pack if I get the Flash 62...
    I would save the bottom straps for something heavier.
    If I were using a RidgeRest with the Flash, I would find a convenient way use a pair of lash straps to keep the RidgeRest rolled up, and then clip the straps to either a pair of clip loops on the side or the pair of ax loops on the bottom.
    REIFlash.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    I would save the bottom straps for something heavier.
    If I were using a RidgeRest with the Flash, I would find a convenient way use a pair of lash straps to keep the RidgeRest rolled up, and then clip the straps to either a pair of clip loops on the side or the pair of ax loops on the bottom.

Therm-a-Rest Z Lite Sol Sleeping Pad may fit a little more easily across the front of that pack. I haven't actually seen it to confirm with its size, but I think that block may fit inside there easier with two cross laces. Tent below. I like it. Tomorrow, I will test it out and see how it feels with an additional 25 lbs on back.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I recently saw the original Ridgerest (I own one-it works if you can sleep on 5/8" foam-I can not) at Campmor for $20.
    The REI Flash 62 at the REI Outlet is $125 + or -. It may be lighter than the pack you mention.
    Every year in May REI has a massive sale. My wife and I cleaned up on Neo Xtherm, REI socks and dry sack, Merrill and Keen shoes for 30% off. Awesome sale.
    Why a 2 person tent? Speaking from experience, I outfitted my wife and I for backpacking BEFORE she decided that she was not sleeping on the ground. I suggest you buy a solo tent for you. Make sure you like backpacking. You can always add a double tent later if you need one.
    Slow down. You can rent gear first.
    Look at LL Bean tents and backpacks. They have a few lightweight items and their warranty is the best. Buy it. Hate it. Refund or exchange. Forever!
    Good luck.

Wayne

One more time:

Go to REI OUTLET.com
    Search: Flash 62
    Bingo! Up pops the 2013 model Flash 62. $129.
    Got it?

Wayne

I am very sorry for what I just said. I just saw the medium large problem.
    Given a bit of practice you will figure out packing. Go to the Packs section of the Gear forum and read what Another Kevin and I put in similar sized packs.

Wayne

@ Venchka.

Lol. No worries man. I understand I am asking a lot of questions. (and I am being a little bit of an askwhore).

Without a doubt, the REI Flash 62 is the pack for me. Attach tent below, ridgerest to outside and I am good to go. Only question left is which tent.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++