WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

I loved the book! Very straightforward account of living off the land--and sea--which is something so many people think and talk about but, fortunately, not many people attempt, because, frankly few people have the skills, or the expedition mentality to put an adventure like this together. This was no Into-the-Wild tragedy, in spite of what a number of WhiteBlazers predicted when he was setting off in 2014. Buck planned it carefully, thinking through where, when, and even arranging all the legalities of seasons and permits. Were there unforeseen challenges? Sure. Did it stretch his skills? Sure.

I think you'll enjoy it. He writes well and descriptively of the islands, the seas, the animals, the berries, the rain. The book made me hanker after a freshly-caught Alaskan crab or two.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Incredible.....I'd say your living life to the fullest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Just stunning Colter. What an experience that must have been,
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

Outstanding trip and great report/video. Alaska is on my bucket list for sure. What weight was your fly rod? I have heard of 6wt's getting snapped off at the cork.

Thank you saltysack and imscotty. I really appreciate that.

Hosh, I think I had my 6wt actually, along with spinning gear. I found in those small clear streams I had better luck with flies.

I snapped a 6wt off once on a different trip, fighting a sockeye in very fast current. As I was packing up to leave a guy passed me who'd also snapped his rod off! On this trip I was fishing streams with moderate current and where I could follow the fish. Makes a big difference!

Images

The Orca sightings would be my #1 pick for "Most Awesome" lucky you :-) Thanks for sharing. Having a pressure cooker out there in the wilderness was interesting. Jar boxes was a good to know feature. What is your best guess why jars cracked when removing them(other than tightening the rings)? Any other seasonings above and beyond salt and pepper?

Catching flounder would be an awesome experience....glad you caught a couple,,,lucky you :-)
    Last edited by zelph; 02-03-2017 at 11:29.

A 5wt is standard issue for a first rod in Colorado. Our trout are generally small with some exceptions in the 20-25" range.

After canning, did you eat the fish cold or reheat in a pan or on a grill? I love seafood and fish, but after 70 days I would think it would be about as appetizing as the crab plates at Tom Hank's welcome back party in the movie Cast Away.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosh View Post
    ... I love seafood and fish, but after 70 days I would think it would be about as appetizing as the crab plates at Tom Hank's welcome back party in the movie Cast Away.

+1 ......

Then, there're the coconuts to deal with. 4 yrs on an island drinking only coconut and rain water...when it rained.

GREAT stuff Colter.

Great idea to capture rainwater off the tent fly. Not sure any filter would last that long and using chemicals would bleach you from the inside out

Colter Proenneke?

From my googling expedition, he should charge more for the video.

It must be hard to move a cabin every 14 days.

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    The Orca sightings would be my #1 pick for "Most Awesome" lucky you :-) Thanks for sharing. Having a pressure cooker out there in the wilderness was interesting. Jar boxes was a good to know feature. What is your best guess why jars cracked when removing them(other than tightening the rings)? Any other seasonings above and beyond salt and pepper?

Catching flounder would be an awesome experience....glad you caught a couple,,,lucky you :-)
    I saw whales quite often. I saw a humpback jump completely out of the water about 14 times in a row, but didn't get decent videos of it.

I was handling and reusing the jars a lot. I think the very tiny dings that resulted from all the handling, combined with over-tightening, was what caused the breakage. I didn't bring any seasonings or food other than salt or pepper.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++