WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I use and love my Gossamer Gear Mariposa. For me, it is the perfect size for my gear and a week's worth of food and is comfortable to carry. This is my second Mariposa. I first bought one in 2010, which was still very serviceable, but I liked some of the new feature changes so I got a new model earlier this year. On a section hike last month in Massachusetts and Vermont, I met a northbounder who had been carrying the same new version of the Mariposa since Georgia and he was very complimentary of the pack.

I have no experience with the ULA to offer a direct comparison.

My ZPacks Arc Blast shows no sign of wear or stitch failure even after abuse of overloading (AT). I am taking it on the PCT NEXT YEAR

Looks like I will be taking my ULA Circuit. I own an Osprey Aether 85 and while insanely comfortable the circuit is half the weight. I had bought the aether for carrying my weight and someone else's majority. I've used in on multi-day hikes but for a thru hike I believe in some give in take for comfort and weight.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by None yet View Post
    My ZPacks Arc Blast shows no sign of wear or stitch failure even after abuse of overloading (AT). I am taking it on the PCT NEXT YEAR
    That's good to hear. I have some concerns about cuben's ability to handle abrasion, as my Blast food bag has small holes around the top just from rolling it. The arc blast is a pack I've been considering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries

I have been researching and researching equipment, mainly the big three, for since October 2013 and I have decided on the Granite Gear Crown VC 60. I like the roll top bag and I like it simple but with the option of having some sort of support or not. I can't really say why I definitely want this one but the cuben material in the other brands sound great but the abrasion factor was a convincing reason not to purchase a pack made from cuben fibers. It also has great reviews from those that have used it on trails and the AT.
    Last edited by Siarl; 08-06-2014 at 02:51.

Just got my ULA Ohm 2.0. Seems well made but have yet to put it to the test.

Not sure yet, but it looks like I may go with the ULA Circuit.
    "Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither." - Benjamin Franklin

I'll be taking a Zpacks Arc Blast. Now if it would just hurry up and get here so I can take it for a test drive

Used a ULA Ohm 2.0 great pack. Probably say more Circuits than any other single pack. Anything made from cuben probably won't last. I used some cuben stuff sacks, dry sacks from Z-Pack and they were in taters by the end of the trail.

The Arc Blast is made with a layer of 50 denier polyester on the outside to prevent fraying of the cuben. Hopefully this will help.

I just got an Arc Blast and tried it out this weekend. It seems to be a great product when used with a proper UL kit.

I was so thankful I had made the switch as I watched people at the trail-head toggling up their huge, 40 lb packs to climb. They needed two hands to left them and they staggered under the weight.

I cruised around the Tripyramids, the Sleepers, Whiteface and arrived at the base of Mt Passaconaway to camp. Going down the very steep and unstable "South Slide" of the last Trypyramid. I was very glad not to be balancing 40 lbs of gear on my back. Up and over Passaconoway and a three mike hike along Rt 112 back to my car the next day - glad to have gone light.

If the pack wears out, I'll buy another. As far as I am concerned, most gear are "consumable" items like tires and batteries.

This light-weight stuff is worth every penny, even if it doesn't last forever.

Leaving town with a 20lb pack and coming into town with a 10lb pack is great! With some light gear you don't have to compromise durability. My ULA Ohm 2.0 is ready to go again.

As I'm Reading Through This Thread, I See No Mention Of Base Weight. This Should Be The #1 Consideration. Then You Can Better Determine How Large (Or Better Yet How Small) A pack You'll Need. On My 2011 Thru, I Carried A Go-lite And 24 Lb Base. Ugh! That Means 40+ Lbs After Resupply. Doable, As I Am Proof, But No Fun. As Soon As I Returned, I Went With ULA Air-x, Which Is Basically A Catalyst With An Inertia Air-X Pad For A Frame. Very Comfortable! Since Then, I've Reduced My Base To <11 Lbs. Now have a Z Packs Arc Blast. As For Durability, It's Not An Issue. Getting Back On Subject, If Your Base Is Over 16, Go With A ULA. Of Course, Your Pack Is Part I'd Your Base Weight. Your Pack Should Be The Last Thing You Buy, So You Know If It'll All Fit. I Don't Recommend Hanging stuff Off The Outside Of Your Pack.
    If you come to a fork in the road...take it - Yogi Berra

Journal Entries

If I can get my gear pared down it will be my MLD Prophet. Otherwise my ULA Circuit.

I like my Elemental Horizons Kalais. It seems quite comparable to a ULA Circuit. This is a newer company so you don't see their packs very much, but they have received some good reviews.

Hi! I am bringing a Deuter women's 60 + 10-I would highly recommend going to an outfitter to get measured and try out a variety of options. I had my heart set on a Gregory, but after packing and walking around in three different options, the Gregory was not for me and the Deuter, not even in consideration, was my choice. Haven't looked back since.

I am using a Camp Trails Paragon 3, internal framed 65-70L pack.

I have an Osprey Kestrel 48, which is a bit more than I'd like to carry but super comfortable. I'm also new to backpacking, so I still like having all the little pockets and sections. I gather that's something I'll grow out of, but I haven't yet. If I drop down in weight it might be to a comparably sized Exos for about a pound of weight savings. The rest of my stuff (Enlightened Equipment quilt, foam pad, and Fly Creek UL2) is relatively lightweight. The iPad's gonna weight me down, though

ULA Ohm 2.0. Love that thing. Was thinking of getting a Multi Pack 4-in-1 from ZPacks for a little extra storage, but that might not be necessary. Going to make that decision after some colder weather shakedowns this fall.

Just tried a Deuter 45 + 10 this weekend and it's my favorite so far. I might try to make it work, but I'm worried about the capacity so I'm going to look into the 65 + 10 (maybe). Tried an REI Flash and an Osprey 65 (one of the 'A' names). Getting closer.
    "I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out til sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." -John Muir

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++