WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    DLP, I had a lot of fear about backpacking alone...mainly sleeping alone at night.
    I don't have a whole lot of fear of being out alone or sleeping alone. Most of my "angst" comes from conventional wisdom to both men and women to never tell anybody you are alone and to always be evasive. For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nURmFMwjNck

Honestly, some of my best experiences with other people was saying point blank, "Both my SPOT and phone are dead... can you text or call my husband when you have phone reception and tell him you saw me and letting him know I'm having fun so he won't worry. Here's his number". He started thinking it was funny to have random people calling him during the day.

My first attempts at backpacking solo ended in failure...embarrassingly so...but I kept trying. If I can do it, anyone can do it .
    Congrats!!!! Now I'm very curious!... how does a solo backpacking trip end in "failure"?

Quote Originally Posted by DLP View Post
    I don't have a whole lot of fear of being out alone or sleeping alone. Most of my "angst" comes from conventional wisdom to both men and women to never tell anybody you are alone and to always be evasive. For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nURmFMwjNck

Honestly, some of my best experiences with other people was saying point blank, "Both my SPOT and phone are dead... can you text or call my husband when you have phone reception and tell him you saw me and letting him know I'm having fun so he won't worry. Here's his number". He started thinking it was funny to have random people calling him during the day.

Congrats!!!! Now I'm very curious!... how does a solo backpacking trip end in "failure"?
    The short story is when it came time to make camp I panicked and couldn't do it, hiked back to the road, hitched a ride to my car, and slept in the car . My fear of sleeping alone in the woods outweighed my fear of hitchhiking, neither of which I'm afraid to do anymore .

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    The short story is when it came time to make camp I panicked and couldn't do it, hiked back to the road, hitched a ride to my car, and slept in the car . My fear of sleeping alone in the woods outweighed my fear of hitchhiking, neither of which I'm afraid to do anymore .
    I don't think that is neither a "failure" nor embarrassing. It just "was". Or it was a learning experience.

There was a thread a year or so ago... and a significant number of men are afraid to sleep in the woods alone. I was kind of surprised, since most guys don't talk about it. Somebody posted, "It's just sleeping", sort of like the corollary to "It's just walking".

If we "pack our fears", my husband is most afraid of the dark and mosquitoes. He'd have us each carry 3 flashlights - 1 flashlight, a backup, and the backup to the backup... "just in case". When we go into REI - he immediate drifts towards flashlights.

I've only hitched twice and it was ok both times... but still nervous about that, so you are ahead of me, there.

Journal Entries
    Images

OK for me its the reverse. I am safer with the nighttime creatures, than parked over night in a place that may be accessable by a bus or police... who knew?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

+1 on That! For Example... Hearing Owls mate, in the wee morning hours... can be quite the ruckus. But a world better than automobiles and asphalt in my camp

Sleeping alone in the woods can be unnerving. The total absence of light, the odd noises, crackling of branches, sounds of life of all kinds... you're forced to think of your place on the food chain... the web of life. That's not a bad thing, actually.

I trust hikers (well, 99% of them) but not necessarily townies. I avoid shelters or campsites within a mile of a road crossing. 2 or 3 miles in, I feel safer.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    OK for me its the reverse. I am safer with the nighttime creatures, than parked over night in a place that may be accessable by a bus or police... who knew?
    WOO, I agree...I was more unsafe in the parking lot...that's how scared I was to camp alone. Knowing all the safety statistics and probabilities couldn't change my fear. I had to find other ways to deal with it.

what about convincing family/parents that solo hiking/backcountry camping is a common place and for the most part safe even with providing them with all the information needed, giving them itinerary..etc. maybe its bcuz there so overprotected and assume life should be lived in a bubble. where i live its unusual to have such a hobby. i even say "if you care so much you should buy me a SPOT". shoot they'll point out ANY stat in there favor.

I think really it may depend when you hike. Just came back from a section hike between Unicoi and Franklin, and didn't see another soul between Carter's Gap and Franklin....a long while. Now if we would have run into someone acting a bit odd then, (ok, I know odd is a bit subjective)I think that's a whole different situation than running into a uncomfortable situation on a through hike. Then, I'd just try and "join" a bunch of hikers and maybe even express my concerns.

Journal Entries
    Images

Nothing is worse at 2 am is having a cop in the rain banging on your window telling you "to get to a hotel down the road"... the whole point is to get out with the critters....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

If injured, having one partner or more can make a big difference. One of the hikers involved as well as the doctor who speaks mountain wisdom in this report are friends of mine. http://kdvr.com/2014/07/11/one-dead-...national-park/
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Quote Originally Posted by SawnieRobertson View Post
    If injured, having one partner or more can make a big difference. One of the hikers involved as well as the doctor who speaks mountain wisdom in this report are friends of mine. http://kdvr.com/2014/07/11/one-dead-...national-park/
    In my warped mind that story might prove a good reason to hike alone.

Lightning can't hit eight if there is only one hiking.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    In the 10 years or so that I have been on this website, and 30+ years since I thru hiked, I can't remember a single decent discussion on what contributes to risks thru hikers face from other people on the Trail.

This is odd, given that 5 thru hikers have been murdered by complete strangers while many hundreds of miles into their hikes. That number eclipses the sum total of all thru hikers that have been killed by lightening, bees, bears, dogs, snakes, drowning, hypothermia, and falls.

Our culture and individual sense of well-being when out there seems to either deny this reality, or to minimize it. The ATC has this down to an art. Their response is already written for the next time there is a murder. It always begins with the observation that 5 Milliion people visit the trail each year. If the murder was not on the White Blazed trail itself (like the 5 thru hikers I reference) that is pointed out soon afterwards.

When a thru hiker is killled there is never any discussion of common circumstances. More likely, there is a concerted effort to of denial or the hiker death "to be put in perspective".

When long distance-section hiker Scott Lilly's half-burried body was found a couple years ago, the authorities would not even confirm there was a killing until the coroner's report was required to be released by state law-- exactly 6 months after he was found. Up to that point, all they we way was that the circumstances were "suspicious" (accidental shooting by a hunter, perhaps?), and that there was no reason for hikers in the area to be especially concerned.

I count myself among those who feel comfortable sleeping in the woods, and I think under all but the most exceptional circumstances others should as well. But why is any examination of what has happened to 5 of our fellow thru hikers including WM's question so taboo?

Those who minimize any risk can take comfort in the fact that no thru hiker -- either alone or not -- has ever been killed in the modern wave of northbounders. But that is not everyone who hikes the AT, is it?

I can't draw any conclusion as to the relative risk of hiking alone vs. in the company of another, but it turns out the majority of people killed on the AT or close to it have been with a hiking partner. Until relatively recently men hiking alone or with a male friend have been left alone, but the killing of Scott Lily and the (unsuccessful) attack on the two male fishermen by the Wapiti Shelter killer (who was later released after the double killing) even makes that observation out of date.

One obvious common thread is that most of the killings either took place at a shelter, or the victims had an interaction with the killer at a shelter-- and women are at a greater risk.

I sure as hell would not recommend on ask a stranger what shelter they are camping at, much less share that information with them-- especially if you are outside of the NOBO bubble. If you part of the hoard, it probably maters little,
    THANK YOU.

I cringe when ppl say you are safer in the city than you are on the trail; This is apples & oranges, and a convenient way of using statistics to bolster a meaningless comparison.

Two murders have taken place along my little home stretch of the Southern AT since 2008. Once killer (Hilton) is incarcerated, one (Lilly's) remains at large. During the same time period, Randall Lee Smith was able to return to his old stalking ground and attempt murder on two more people. Statistical anomolies, perhaps, but nevertheless true and real.

I hike alone sometimes. It involves a different set of safety precautions and considerations than when I go out with companions. I like to tell myself that I can trust my instincts, but I bet Merideth and Scott were able to rely on similar instincts for 99.9% of their hikes as well.

While most of my trail encounters with other humans have been pleasant or uneventful, I am most often put on guard with people I encounter at shelters or near road crossings. (Q: How can you tell the hikers from the homeless? A: Cuben Fiber.)

Only once have I found myself truly concerned: after seeing not one other soul for over 24 hours, I met another hiker going in the opposite direction. I didn't see him till we almost ran into each other. While attempting to briefly engage him, he avoided eye contact and his general demeanor just seemed off. It was one of the few times in my life that the hair on the back of my neck stood up.

Trusting this instinct, I wished him well and high-stepped it for the next quarter mile. When I found the right spot, I left the trail and perched on a vantage point where I could see if he had turned around or was following me. Paranoid? Perhaps, but I certainly felt better about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    It's generally wise to infer companions just ahead, not behind. Behind implies you need to stop and wait, ahead allows, " Did you see Bob up ahead, big guy, ex-marine, always hikes too fast? Well I better hurry and go catch him"
    Keep your plans to yourself, this doesn't need to be rude, play the free spirit. "Where are you staying tonight?" "Wherever the trail takes me!"
    Thanks--some excellent suggestions. I regularly backpack alone and appreciate the discussion.

But, why infer that companions are 'ahead' of you? Shouldn't you say behind, in that they could come along any moment? If they're ahead of you, and the stranger you meet is up to no good, there's no worry of people coming along.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post

Trusting this instinct, I wished him well and high-stepped it for the next quarter mile. When I found the right spot, I left the trail and perched on a vantage point where I could see if he had turned around or was following me. Paranoid? Perhaps, but I certainly felt better about it.

Intriguing...

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Don't talk alot and sleth alot. Never had an issue. Can always pull a Chip Leonard and act weird., and move on. No ones gonna find me in the bush anyway.

I was more afraid of critters in the middle of the night than people, I only backpacked on the AT only during bubble time as I was scared to death to be in the woods alone, Hiking during the day , I cut my hikes short as I was so slow that I was afraid I would not make it to a shelter and would have to spend the night by myself, I finally just 2 days ago managed to spend my first solo night alone, not on the AT on a trail that I never saw another person for the 2 days I was hiking , I love to hike but have no one to hike with that I can keep up with, I know my fear was totally unfounded but it was a fear, I am so happy that I now have the courage to hike more by myself, though I still have a fear of getting lost, I do not worry too much about getting hurt as My DH knows exactly where I am going and when I call him I tell him exactly where i am so he would have a place to start looking if I was to get hurt

Journal Entries
    Images

Progress not perfection birdygal. Always a good idea to be on the safe side and let your loved ones know your route and the grid or gps location of some key points along the way. 98 percent of hikers are going to view you as a Mom or sister.

Here's my confession: I'm a 6'3", 310lb combat veteran & I've never camped alone lol.

Mainly because all my trips include friends to share the experience with, but there's a small part of my brain that likes the security.

I usually wear earplugs to quiet the bugs (sound like they'll carry you off, from under a hammock). But Idk if I could comfortably wear them solo, unable to hear anything coming into camp.

Im a fairly big guy and have not felt threatened when solo backpacking, however at the same time I am under no delusion that there are not crazy people out there, including on the AT. I think that while the vast majority of hikers and backpackers are incredible, friendly, trustworthy folks, the truth is that there are unbalanced and malicious individuals throughout humanity, and im sure that some of them are attracted to the isolation from society that the AT offers. I also would wager that backpacking may attract a higher percentile of 'unbalanced' people who may have predatory inclinations, as the opportunity it presents. I think people should take precautions. Whistles, pepper pray, and keeping daily contact/agenda with others is possible. There is no good reason not to do these things. I rely on cell phone mostly, but If I were a female, I would probably have a sat messenger phone.

I think some are lulled into a bit of wishful delusion because they haven't personally experienced interactions with those with predatory inclinations. There are individuals who will see through someone saying 'oh my friends are up ahead/behind me'. I have met some hikers on the AT who I thought were too trustworthy and forthcoming, and some who came off as unhinged and I extricated myself from their presence.

Its a risk you have to understand and prepare for as rationally as possible.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++