WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

I'm 6'1", 160 pounds, 40 year old man, so I'm probably not perceived to be either an easy victim or a threat to others. That said, I never volunteer information about my whereabouts unless I've gotten to know someone reasonably well and I'm always vague about goals for the day, where I'm planning to camp, and who I'm with. But I try not to be so paranoid that I cannot enjoy conversations with the occasional eccentric person. I never ask a solo hiker, either male or female, if they are solo and I usually won't ask where someone is heading for the night. I've only had a couple of encounters on the AT that seemed a bit off, one of which involved someone who I'm pretty sure was homeless and living near a shelter, and he was probably harmless.

Part of the reason I use a hammock is that I can easily stop almost anywhere for the night, and often do. Mostly, when people ask me where I'm heading, I consider it an innocent question, but I generally say that I'm not sure, or it depends, or make some other vague statement, and it's the truth. Mostly, I don't find myself terrified on the trail. Other hikers are almost always pleasant and supportive. I think the OP is overreacting to the risk of peril on the AT.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    The desire to live and sleep outdoors is a rarity in American culture and so anyone who shows an interest in it should be encouraged and supported whether male or female. Since there's so much of Nature and so little of me, or of you, I suggest everyone get out on solo trips as much as humanly possible no matter you gender. If Christine Thuermer can do it, anyone can---

http://christine-on-big-trip.blogspo...out-me_03.html

Otherwise we live in fear and squander a life away indoors. The solo women I see are a unique breed and become over time independent, tough and strong. They use common sense and experience and for the most part laugh at the American preoccupation with Fear.
    As a taller than average woman with a larger than average frame, I don't "present" myself as easy prey, but I don't take any chances. I've only seen one older gentleman who looked kind of weird, but he didn't act suspicious. My Spidey-senses usually go off rather quickly.

It only took me one time to overcome my fear of camping alone, and even then, there were so many people around I may as well have been part of their group. I have yet to camp and not have someone within shouting distance. The last 2 times I was actually discouraged when I heard people setting up camp near me.

To tell the truth, I'm more afraid of bugs (TICKS!-shudder) and critters trying to snack on me than I am of the axe-wielding madman.

"And I don't pretend that I have other people in my tent." That's good! If you told me you bring along a male blow up friend and place a machete in his hand while leaving your tent open so all could see this "fake man with a machete guarding you to ward off evil spirits" I would think YOU would be the one WE should watch out for.Although, I've admittedly met some unusual folks while hiking I find it highly unusual and largely unnecessary for a woman(or anyone for that matter) to get into false stories to cover up fearful paranoid delusions. Turn off the TV, limit your newspaper reading to the comics and Sudoku, put down the pipe or prescription bottle, and get some sleep. BE prudent. You'll be OK.

I almost always hike alone but prefer to camp near people I meet along the trail. Its much easier to tell people I meet along the trail that I know people ahead and behind me on the trail or that I'm getting a head start on the twenty-somethings who sleep in. Usually, I don't have a specific destination for the night so I couldn't answer where I'm headed if asked.

Talking to people while camped is a little different. I'll still use that I know people behind me that may or may not show up here, stop short or keep going past here. I'll also mention that from time to time, I'll pack up after dinner and hike on further, so if its looks like I'm stopped it doesn't necessarily mean I'm staying put. Sometimes its because its early and I've got my energy back and sometimes its because of whose at the site/shelter. I had two encounters with homeless people on the AT who were probably harmless, but nevertheless I moved on and wasn't the only one who chose too.

If I catch up to a woman hiking alone, say 'hi' or 'how's it going', and she respond that she's hiking with someone ahead or behind, I'll say 'Cool' and leave her be assuming she might be hiking alone and its none of my business.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    If you told me you bring along a male blow up friend and place a machete in his hand while leaving your tent open so all could see this "fake man with a machete guarding you to ward off evil spirits" I would think YOU would be the one WE should watch out for.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I find it highly unusual and largely unnecessary for a woman(or anyone for that matter) to get into false stories to cover up fearful paranoid delusions.
    I agree. When you run into the same person 3 days in a row and still haven't caught up with your group? What's the point of pretending?

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    It's never a good idea to tell strangers one's plans while hiking... Now, what are your plans?
    You know I can't tell you. I'm on the West Coast. Maybe Tahoe Rim, although I've done 75% of it (and probably the best parts) and don't have a lot of motivation to do the rest except to say that I've done all of it. I don't think that is the greatest reason to do it.

Maybe PCT Carson Pass to Yosemite. That would have fewer day hikers (at least at the beginning and middle... Actually, it is day hikers who tend to be the ones to most often ask, "OMG! You are out here ALONE?" I was never able to lie and say, "Oh no... my family is ______".

Actually, in the Bay Area in the Ohlone Wilderness and Henry Coe... I've gone 48 hours and have seen zero people. A stone's throw from 9 million people. If anybody is looking for "solitude".

Thank you ALL... read them all... but not enough time to type replies. I really appreciate it!
    Last edited by DLP; 06-24-2014 at 18:39.

It's all about using your Common sense, do what your GUT Instinct tells you to do.

This topic makes me sad. It seems like we have accepted that merely being a woman is so risky. Then add hiking or travelling, it's practically crazy! I can't believe men allow their wives to even leave the house alone, just think of all the dangers waiting around each corner.

Of course violence against women is a very serious issue, and we should not pretend it does not exist. But let's be honest - the biggest threat to women is NOT strangers. The vast majority of crimes against women are committed not by strangers but by boyfriends, husbands, angry rejected dates, etc.

I don't understand why people think solo women are in such danger. Are you aware that women do many activities alone, interacting with strangers, without supervision from a male relative? If women shouldn't hike alone, should they also not visit the supermarket alone? Drive alone? Walk the dog alone?

..... Unfortunately I think the book Wild is only going to perpetuate this whole stupid idea. You know what is dangerous? How about using heroin? (which the author did before her hike) She was much safer on the PCT than she was as an intravenous drug user. And yet she said she brought a whistle on the trail "instead of a gun." OK sure. Will a gun protect you from contacting HIV when you abuse heroin? I don't think so.

There have been nine murders on the AT since 1974. There have already been ten murders this year in Durham, NC. Statistically, you are much safer on the AT than almost anywhere in the world.

Wow, that was a great post Q. One of the strongest and accurate I've read in awhile. Loved it.

Images

I would tell people where I was headed or camping for the night if I knew the answer

Quote Originally Posted by DLP View Post
    ROTFLOL....

I have an active imagination but it never occurred to me that the worst thing to happen to me in the back country would be a helicopter evac in a straight jacket.
    Just about the start of every hiking season there are register writings and online reports about folks that talk to themselves and folks that carry machetes or some big Bowie knife.

This year there were even warnings about dangerous people on the trail wearing dress shoes or flip flops.

Truthfully none of them really bother me any more.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 06-25-2014 at 04:06.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by quasarr View Post
    This topic makes me sad. It seems like we have accepted that merely being a woman is so risky. Then add hiking or travelling, it's practically crazy! I can't believe men allow their wives to even leave the house alone, just think of all the dangers waiting around each corner.

Of course violence against women is a very serious issue, and we should not pretend it does not exist. But let's be honest - the biggest threat to women is NOT strangers. The vast majority of crimes against women are committed not by strangers but by boyfriends, husbands, angry rejected dates, etc.

I don't understand why people think solo women are in such danger. Are you aware that women do many activities alone, interacting with strangers, without supervision from a male relative? If women shouldn't hike alone, should they also not visit the supermarket alone? Drive alone? Walk the dog alone?

..... Unfortunately I think the book Wild is only going to perpetuate this whole stupid idea. You know what is dangerous? How about using heroin? (which the author did before her hike) She was much safer on the PCT than she was as an intravenous drug user. And yet she said she brought a whistle on the trail "instead of a gun." OK sure. Will a gun protect you from contacting HIV when you abuse heroin? I don't think so.

There have been nine murders on the AT since 1974. There have already been ten murders this year in Durham, NC. Statistically, you are much safer on the AT than almost anywhere in the world.
    ^ This. People are awe struck when I tell them I go on the trail solo. I think, "what's the big deal? there are more nutcases in my town". But then again, I refuse to be held hostage locked up in my house because there may be a BG out there.

Journal Entries
    Images

I have spent a lot of the time on the AT as a local hiker and geocacher. A good bit of it has been with family- some of it has also been alone. I have never felt "threatened", but there has been the occasional *** moment. But then again I am a trained First Responder and LE Officer.

I am thinking about doing some smaller hikes, but I imagine it is fairly similar. I will non-specific with details and just keep to those that I know.

Images

I live in Philly, have more serious concerns, like people who drive on the weekends............FREAKY

Feel 1000% safe on the AT

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

OK, I'm not a woman. And I know that for women it's different. That's sad.

But my personal practice? When I'm solo, and people get into the "where are you headed?" conversation-fodder, I tell them - in some detail - unless they really creep me out (which happens very seldom). The way I see it, it's much more likely that search and rescue will someday be interviewing hikers about where I was last seen than that some random hiker will come after me in the night with a machete.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I'm more concerned with mother nature than humans along the trail. I operate under the assumption that Mother Nature wants to kill me. I've only encountered people that gave me a weird vibe on a couple of occasions. I just said hello and kept walking - no need to engage. I never use headphones and keep looking around to maintain situational awareness. There have been occasions when I've felt myself getting spooked, but then realize its not the Blair Witch Project.

I usually hike alone but always carry the basic 10, a cell phone, and a SPOT GPS messenger no matter how short the planned hike may be. Its just a habit I've gotten into and don't give it a second thought. I'm equipped to spend the night if needed - maybe not a comfortable night, but I'd survive.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

quasarr,

Excellent post...

Quote Originally Posted by quasarr View Post
    If women shouldn't hike alone, should they also not visit the supermarket alone?
    But this one argument misses the mark. When you go to the supermarket alone, you are not alone. You are in public where there is safety in numbers.

But your over-all point is still valid. Many people want to equate a woman hiking alone with a woman walking down a dark deserted city alley... while ignoring the fact that the kind of people you might encounter in a dark alley with ill intent are NOT the kind of people who trek miles in the middle of nowhere.

Images

If I waited to find people to backpack with I would have never gotten off my couch..... I just go and meet great folks on the way.....

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    OK, I'm not a woman. And I know that for women it's different. That's sad.

But my personal practice? When I'm solo, and people get into the "where are you headed?" conversation-fodder, I tell them - in some detail - unless they really creep me out (which happens very seldom). The way I see it, it's much more likely that search and rescue will someday be interviewing hikers about where I was last seen than that some random hiker will come after me in the night with a machete.
    Kevin, no self-respecting hiker would bring a heavy machete on a hike. Think of the extra ounces! The humanity!

/sarcasm

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++