WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default First Section Hike - What I learned

Laugh as you will...here's what I learned on our recent section hike from Dick's Creek Gap:

(Some background - first time on the AT, 48 yr's old, in good shape, hiking experience on other trails here in AL)

1) You will never know what the AT is like unless you set foot on it.......at some point you just do it.
    2) Easy to overestimate what mileage you can do in a day
    3) Do NOT take a group of varying experience......I now know what 'HYOH' means.
    4) Just because you have a filter and there is water does NOT mean you will stop and fill up and drink like you should.....the beginnings of dehydration were starting early and I was always playing catch up.
    5) People DO litter on the trail....wow.
    6) Shelters have their own special smell....we camped elsewhere.
    7) On hills, it's best to NOT stop and catch your breath....keep going and motor on through it. The more you stop the more you want to stop.
    8) You may think you are in shape and have prepared for the elevation changes....but you can't imagine the hike...you have to just do it. (see # 1 and # 2....and # 3)

Thanks to all on this Forum.....I read much, took much of the advice but there's no substitute for doing it. I learned so much that I'll use next time. By the way, we had planned Dick's Creek to NOC....we got off after about 20 miles. The hike up to Standing Indian was one that some in the group could not make....we thought it best to get out at Deep Gap while we could!

Again, thanks to all!

All very good, solid points which many of us have also experienced. Sounds like you took it all in good humor which helps, as well as being flexible to changing conditions.

I particularly liked #7 - while I may slow the pace on a particularly steep stretch, I never stop. The only exception is high elevation hiking when I'm not fully acclimated - not an issue on the AT.

I don't quite buy into the "never stop" notion -- but I do agree that a slow, steady, consistent pace is better than furious uphill followed by long breaks. I typically end up with about 10% downtime, eg. a 10 minute break every 90 minutes.

Re # 7......felt like my pack was well adjusted...but about 30 pounds...heavier than it ought to have been maybe. Found that I would motor up one hill....hit the next switchback and then have to stop and catch my breath. I didn't feel like I was overdoing my speed...maybe i was!

This is a matter of what works for me may not work for you. I had one hiking partner with whom I was quite compatible. She hiked uphill slightly faster than me and would pass me, but then I passed her when she stopped to rest. We usually arrived at the top with less than a minute separating us. It's all good.

I'm in a similar situation - taking a section hike in 2 weeks. Maybe not my first, but the first in a long time. I'm a bit older and probably in less shape than you. With regards to your #2, how many miles did you plan on doing and what turned out to be more realistic? I'm planning 71 miles in 6 days. Not sure if this is overly optimistic or not. I guess I'll find out (item #1). Thanks for the insights. As for your other items #3- I'm going alone and everyone I talk to thinks I'm nuts. #4 I have a filter and hiking central VA in July (I know - hot and humid). I'll try to camel up often. #5 - I'll pack out some trash. #6 - Planning to not camp at shelters. #7 - I'll try stopping and not stopping and see which works for me. #8 - I know I'm not in shape or prepared for elevation changes. I'll be beat, but at least I'll be expecting it.

Section Hiker

Sounds like a great and educational hike! Congrats!

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Wow! The section from Deep Gap NC up to SI mountain always seems like a pussycat to me. Especially if you were able to climb out of GA into NC at Bly Gap! Happy hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Wow! The section from Deep Gap NC up to SI mountain always seems like a pussycat to me. Especially if you were able to climb out of GA into NC at Bly Gap! Happy hiking.
    I hear you. When I section hiked from Springer to Rt. 64, I found it ironic that the ascents to the highest point in GA (Blood Mountain) and the highest point in NC (Standing Indian) were not difficult because much of the elevation had already been gained.

Odd man, we hoped to do 68 miles in 5.5 days....but we averaged around 7 miles per day given the size of the group, the elevation changes, a couple of extended breaks during the day. I haven't done VA but would imagine the elevation is milder than GA/NC that we did. Others on here might want to comment on the mileage you have planned...maybe it's ambitious. Not sure! GOOD LUCK!

By the way, here's one I didn't put in:

9) Even if it was 1.9 pounds, my ALITE MONARCH CHAIR was FANTASTIC at the end of the day!

On the hike to SI...you're probably right. I had some in the party who walked to the summit from Deep Gap while I was shuttled back to the car at NOC.......they hiked it w/o packs but they were not breathing too heavily when I got back! AAARGH! Well, we'd made the decision and was glad we took something away from the hike. I'll be back to Deep Gap to pick it back up! HA!

.....and by the way, that climb out of Bly Gap to NC may be what did us all in and colored our thinking!

Journal Entries

Yep,NC to NOC is easier than the very N end of GA. Except for Albert Mtn. The climbs are bigger on paper, but they are better graded, and smoother trail. Its more like walking, compared to climbing rocky stairs.

Cant always judge a trail by a profile map.

Just like in the smokies, the climb out of Fontana to Mollies Ridge is a breeze, compared to the smaller rocky up and downs between thunderhead and derricks knob.

Images

I don't think anything prepared me for Albert Mountain! I, simply, wasn't expecting it.

I introduced my 8 y.o. and my 14 y.o. girls to the Unicoi to Dicks Creek Gap section last July, I was proud how they handled it! Tray Mountian was fun, Cheese Factory is where we camped...all downhill from there!

Congrats! Well done. Now don't you feel better? I always feel soooo proud of what I've done when I get home and have time to recover and think about it. Makes you want to go back, doesn't it?

Journal Entries
    Images

I wear a heart rate monitor when I hike (for fitness purposes). When I start getting really winded, I just stop until my HR goes back down to around 120-130, and then keep motoring on. That forces me to keep moving and keep the braks short.

Although, since I'm a bit of a shutterbug, I get "natural" breaks-photo ops.

RE #7-I try to stay within my breathing on hills. Since I am going up, I gear my speed down some and keep my breathing at a manageable, steady level. I will take breaks as I normally do but I will push them back if I can get to the top in a reasonably extended push. I try not to operate on empty though. If there is a big hill coming up, I make sure I have enough food in me to get over it and may break a little early to fuel up before tackling it.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    ... If there is a big hill coming up, I make sure I have enough food in me to get over it and may break a little early to fuel up before tackling it.
    Same here - I find it makes a big difference not having an empty stomach.

Cooker....that's one thing I should have added. I took food for the 6 days but found I was going through it faster than I'd planned because I was always hungry! I can't begin to imagine a thru hike! I'd be worried about food all the time!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++