WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Unhappy My THRU may turn Section hike

A year of training and a all my plans made, may be for not. I have acquired a case of plantar fasciitis associated with a bone spur and unless I can turn it around and do a flip-flop and SOBO from Maine to Pine Grove PA by Sept all is over for 2014 I see a a lot of injections and weird night time foot ware (braces/booties) with ice baths and any other thing the docs want to do in my future. So enjoy, enjoy all that you can when ever you can.IMGP1718.jpg

Seems to be a pretty common ailment amongst hikers, hope it works out for ya, that's gotta be a little more than frustrating, but pretty correctable with as you mention time and treatment.

do a SOBO hike. Take a rest. I bet you can finish it in 2014
    "May life be as spiritually rich as it is materially simple" Aboriginal Proverb

Arch support.

It helps..... get an insert.

Take your time. Heal thyself. The trail will be there. Your situation is not uncommon. Thru-hiking is over-rated anyway.

Journal Entries

Bummer, but don't get discouraged. It will get better. Lots of different remedies out there, like everything some things help some, others less so. I've dealt with it twice, the last time about a month before starting a long section hike. What worked best for me (1) I got one of those socks with the velcro attachment to keep your toes pulled upwards while sleeping (2) Power Step insoles (3) rolling something like a water bottle, rolling pin or what I used was a small 2lb hand weight - rolling this back and forth from the ball of your foot down towards your heel. Good luck!
    2000 miler......long sections Summited July 2015

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

A section hike of the A.T. is still more than many get to do.
    Me: Ricky
    Husky: Jack
    Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.
    From Dalton, Georgia (65 mi above Altanta, 15mi south of Chattanooga)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky&Jack View Post
    Amen to that. A little bit is still better than none.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky&Jack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Amen to that. A little bit is still better than none.
    I am down with the little things... life has to offer.

Images

I have added Superfeet for support and have had 3 injections and with time off and good behavior I will return sooner or later no discouragement here. Than you for ideas and sharing what has worked for you along with the good vibes.
    Last edited by Busky2; 06-19-2014 at 17:33.

I've been dealing with plantar fasciitis for about a yearn maybe even slightly longer. The majority of my reading says it's not bone spurs that cause it. They may form there but they aren't the cause. I'm not a medical doctor though.

I haven't been able to shake mine with wall stretches, icing, anti-inflammatories, good shoes, nor shoe insert, and I simply could not tolerate two different night boots-one soft one rigid.

I found in my reading that there is a connection between the fascia and the calf muscles. I also found that I had a very tender/sore calf muscle on the leg with the afflicted foot. The other side isn't like that. The sore area is backside under the knee. I think this is where the tendons involved with the fascia attach (Achilles?). Massage helped a lot but wasn't making it go away.

A recent thread about PF was posted here and in it Marta mentioned yoga helped her. So I thought, I've tried nearly everything else why not get back to doing yoga. So I concentrated on basic leg stretches/poses. Confounding to the PF, the back of my thigh has always been tight due to previous back issues/sciatica as well as ITB in that knee. I have been doing hurdlers stretches, legs angled out touch toe stretches, butterflies, soaz stretches, and assisted leg lift stretches I think it is the last that helps most. Lie on your back with your legs together, flatnon the floor. Use a tie, belt, strap looped around your heal. Hold both ends in one hand and lift the leg up. Hold as high as you can. Then lower it sideways gently, let it stretch without pain. Bring up back up then down next to the other leg. Plus I have been rolling out my thigh with a foam roller for the ITB knee.

It's helped and I have had days without pain. I just need to keep at it regularly.

So thanks for the suggestion Marta.

I think the imbalances in muscle flexibility caused mine. I strength train and do four leg machines. There's a calf strengthening machine that I work out with at 300 lbs it may create an muscle imbalance of some kind, it makes me wonder. It never hurts and I have actually gone pretty slow in building the weight up on it although it has always been an easy machine to use.

So anyway, good luck and stay away from the surgery if you can help it, haven't read a lot of good things about it.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

++ New Posts ++