WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    What both my hiking partner and I found difficult was the 13 miles between Taylor and Duck Brook Shelters - it's constant up and down, tiring you out at the end of the day. It's easy to overlook or underestimate the difficulty of this stretch.
    Yea, thanks for reminding me. That's a real interesting section to do on a weekend when you hear all the 50 caliber and small arms fire off in the distance. (National Guard training center is not far away).

Here's a picture of one of the unique climbs in that area:
    SANY0224.jpg
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Well, I'm okay with making 1mph if I can average about 10-12 per day north of Rt 4. So I'm glad to hear this. We're not fast, but we get an early start and keep going. I blocked out 25-26 days for this hike, which is 9 days to get to Rutland and then 16-17 for the rest of it. I'm hoping that this will be enough time for a couple of hikers on the north side of 50.
    My 2007 inside-out thruhike extended 32 days, but 6 were zeros. These were necessitated in part by the inside-out nature of the hike but also because I had the time. I also had nero days of 5.4, 4.2, 1.6, and 2.8 days, again necessitated or chosen by circumstances (first day, last day, small injury). So you should be in good shape for 25-26 days. FWIW, I was 59 when I did this hike.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Well, I'm okay with making 1mph if I can average about 10-12 per day north of Rt 4. So I'm glad to hear this. We're not fast, but we get an early start and keep going. I blocked out 25-26 days for this hike, which is 9 days to get to Rutland and then 16-17 for the rest of it. I'm hoping that this will be enough time for a couple of hikers on the north side of 50.
    "North of Rte. 4" covers a lot of ground. The first 2-3 days north of Rte. 4 are still fairly easy. The first step-up in difficulty (IMO) is at Lincoln Gap. The last section I did, from Jonesville to Rte. 108, was another up-tick. Anything north of Sterling Pond I only know what I've heard & read from others and what intuition tells me.

The ascent up Mt. Horrid from Brandon Gap ain't exactly a stroll in the park.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    The ascent up Mt. Horrid from Brandon Gap ain't exactly a stroll in the park.
    Seriously ??? It's barely 1000' ascent. I hardly noticed the climb. It looks really nasty from the road, but those cliffs you see aren't part of the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Seriously ??? It's barely 1000' ascent. I hardly noticed the climb. It looks really nasty from the road, but those cliffs you see aren't part of the trail.
    Consider the ratios:

Brandon Gap to Mt. Horrid - 1,033' in 1.3 miles - 795' per mile
    Lincoln Gap to Mt. Abraham - 1,582' in 2.6 miles - 608' per mile

Adding to that, the last time I ascended from Brandon Gap was in the midst of 2 weeks of rain with maybe 1-2 days without it. Often, our memories of how steep a trail is depends on the circumstances and how we felt at the time.

The ascent up to Abraham really steepens after Battell Shelter - 766' in .8 of mile. But starting from Lincoln Gap, the ascent is not, statiscally, as steep as the first mile from Brandon Gap
    Last edited by Cookerhiker; 06-19-2014 at 15:05.

795 feet in a mile is barely 15% grade; that's routine for the White Mountains. To be clear, what I meant was that the trail started to get more difficult north of Lincoln Gap; I wasn't comparing the climb of Mt. Horrid with the climb of Mt. Abraham.

This discussion sorta shows how subjective these ratings of various climbs can be. I was refreshed and in great spirits when I climbed Mt. Horrid, it was the very start of a section and the weather was fine. I was hot to trot.

Quote Originally Posted by lemon b View Post
    Hanger not sure how old you are. The Northern Long Trail is both beautiful and a challange. Not a place to rush. Last year when I was up that way I was lucky because my sisters kid who is half Micmac was around the area and he was kinda the old uncles support team. What I did notice was that even though last season I was in good shape was that my miles per day was down. The GMC headquarters is up in that area also and they have a wealth of knowledge. Hey if you think of it give us a bridge report. Personally I have a vested interest in that project. The camping restrictions rules have changed over the years. Be careful and enjoy the beauty. Also they do have ridgerunners and sitecare takers who are extremely helpful. Never ran into a jerk type caretaker on the Long Trail. Hopefully the weather gods will be with you. Another note last season I could do 20 mpd in Mass. But up there sometimes I did only 7 or 8. The reason was two fold beauty and being careful because of the elevation changes. Have fun and may the weather Gods be with you.

Lemon B.
    I am in my mid 40's and in good shape. My 16 to 20 MPD normally is a relaxed pace. I tend not to sleep much at night so I am off at first light and tend to hike until close to dark. If the weather is good I am known for taking a nap at lunchtime and I do like to stop and take in views. One of my biggest faults is wanting to know what is over the next hill or around the next corner. I have no problem slowing down and enjoying the tail. I do hope I run into good weather as well. If I run into a lot of rain I will definitely be slowing down.

I appreciate all of the great information everyone has provided. My guidebook and map arrived today so I will have something to read while camping with the family this weekend. I will check back in after after getting back. Thank you everyone for your input that you have provided.

Across the street from the post office in Jonesville. There is no exit for Jonesville, you get there either from Waterbury or from Richmond.
    By the way, I should have added -- you'll know the post office because it's about the only building in Jonesville. Have a great hike.

795 feet in a mile is barely 15% grade; that's routine for the White Mountains. To be clear, what I meant was that the trail started to get more difficult north of Lincoln Gap; I wasn't comparing the climb of Mt. Horrid with the climb of Mt. Abraham.

This discussion sorta shows how subjective these ratings of various climbs can be. I was refreshed and in great spirits when I climbed Mt. Horrid, it was the very start of a section and the weather was fine. I was hot to trot.

"Barely a 15% grade?" Seriously?

I can hike a 5% grade for a long distance without even really slowing down, but a 15% grade over any significant length of time is a taxing climb. And yes, there are *worse* climbs in the Whites or the 'dacks, but that doesn't mean that Mt Horrid is any easier. I've done Mt Horrid twice, with both climbs when I was fresh in the morning. But I can tell you that I wouldn't want to do that climb at 6pm after 15 miles on the LT!

Quote Originally Posted by StubbleJumper View Post
    "Barely a 15% grade?" Seriously?

I can hike a 5% grade for a long distance without even really slowing down, but a 15% grade over any significant length of time is a taxing climb. And yes, there are *worse* climbs in the Whites or the 'dacks, but that doesn't mean that Mt Horrid is any easier. I've done Mt Horrid twice, with both climbs when I was fresh in the morning. But I can tell you that I wouldn't want to do that climb at 6pm after 15 miles on the LT!
    I'm sorry. 15% may be a tough grade but it's only 1000 feet. That is not a "signficant length of time" -- that's about an hour.

It really does look horrid, looking north on the trail from the other side of the gap. I can see where, if one was tired and beat at the end of a rough day, you might see those cliffs and get seriously bummed. Stuff like that happens to me all the time.

Folks talk about the Katahdin ascent being tough? I dunno, I just flew up the thing. But same deal: first day of the section, refreshed, and rarin' to go.

Talk to me on the last day of any given section and I'm b!tchin up a storm.

Glad I'm not the only person noticing this. As I go north on the LT I see my forward rate converging back to White Mountain speed... one measly mile per hour, maybe 11-13 miles per day.
    +1..........

Found that out the hard way...

the LT is like 2 different trails, from the MA/VT state line to Lincoln Gap is typical AT hiking, rocks & roots and hills for the most part..... while most all of the LT north of Lincoln Gap is much tougher hiking, (with the exception of the 2 road walks: the road walk along the Winooski River just after Bamforth Ridge, and the road walk just before you get to the road xing near Johnson and Jeffersonville). I was extremely lucky last September and had the best cool, sunny weather of the entire hike going over Camels Hump and Mansfield. From Mansfield north to Journey's End was a week of rain and cold, makes one appreciate the good days even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    ... I was extremely lucky last September and had the best cool, sunny weather of the entire hike going over Camels Hump and Mansfield. From Mansfield north to Journey's End was a week of rain and cold, makes one appreciate the good days even more.
    At likely the same time you were enjoying that weather on the LT, I was hiking the Northville-Placid trail in the Adirondacks and like you, savoring the beautiful weather.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++