WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default recent ALDHA search for Gerry "Inchworm" Largay

I wanted to share my account of a search that took place May 27-June 1 for Inchworm, the AT thru-hiker missing since July 2013. The search was organized by the Appalachian Long Distance Hikers Association, and I was fortunate enough to go as a reporter for the Home Page, a news source based in Brentwood, Tenn., where Inchworm and her husband were planning to make their home when she finished her hike.

http://www.brentwoodhomepage.com/bhp...6#.U5-payhRHwy
    Last edited by Farr Away; 06-17-2014 at 13:57.

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

Thanks for the article.

Do you happen to know approx how many people have gone missing and NOT been found on the A.T. in recent memory?
    Me: Ricky
    Husky: Jack
    Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.
    From Dalton, Georgia (65 mi above Altanta, 15mi south of Chattanooga)

Read that article. The whole situation has posed more questions than answers.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk.
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckT View Post

Hmmm. what questions beyond "What happened to her?" do you have in mind? What is your reasoning behind each of them?
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Images

"It’s almost impossible that she would have not been able to find her way back if she had gone off trail for the bathroom," I think that is what happened. People go off trail to poop. Take their pack with them if solo and get "turned around" after that anything can happen bushwacking in Maine. Maybe fell and seriously injured. A hunter will find her remains some day.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

It certainly is possible to get lost "in the woods". That happens often enough. I keep thinking that is just not enough of an explanation in this case. Something catastrophic must have occurred to her and her family deserves to know what that was.
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    "It’s almost impossible that she would have not been able to find her way back if she had gone off trail for the bathroom," I think that is what happened. People go off trail to poop. Take their pack with them if solo and get "turned around" after that anything can happen bushwacking in Maine. Maybe fell and seriously injured. A hunter will find her remains some day.
    Unfortunately, once all the probable and likely circumstances have been ruled out, all you are left with is the improbable and impossible, regardless how unlikely they may be. I think you are right, her remains will be found one day by someone who accidentally comes across them. There are a number of accounts where people (highly experienced too) have slipped into rock crevices or boulder fields and become wedged, unable to be heard unless by a fluke of luck or the good fortune of someone seeing them fall.

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    bamboo bob,

If she did wonder off the trail and gotten hurt serious, there would still be some signs of her present. Her backpack would by now have started to rip apart, animals would also leave a sign where her body is or other signs. Several people and groups have search for her. To my knowledge there has been no sign of any leads to her location.

I hope one day her family can receive closure.

Wolf

Images

You don't have to get very far off into the woods to disappear, and finding remains can take years, or as in this case likely never. It's really, REALLY hard to find things in a dense forest. In 1996 a Learjet 35A crashed while attempting to land at Lebanon, NH airport. Even knowing the general location and the likely flight path taken while executing the missed approach and second attempt to land, it took THREE YEARS to find the wreckage of a 10,000 lb airplane, and then it was only found by chance during a timber survey.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

foul play..................

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    You don't have to get very far off into the woods to disappear, and finding remains can take years, or as in this case likely never. It's really, REALLY hard to find things in a dense forest. In 1996 a Learjet 35A crashed while attempting to land at Lebanon, NH airport. Even knowing the general location and the likely flight path taken while executing the missed approach and second attempt to land, it took THREE YEARS to find the wreckage of a 10,000 lb airplane, and then it was only found by chance during a timber survey.
    I think your mixing apples with oranges. If she wonder off the trail, there is still a general idea where she would be. She had summer hiking gear, with some food. The food is going to attract animals. Animals like mice, birds, other creatures will rip, tear, scratch right into her pack just to get at the food.

LW said foul play. I don't know. I just hope her family finds closure.

Wolf

Heart breakingly sad......

Sad story. I think it would make a great This American Life story.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post

There have been several hikers get lost in the Holy Cross Wilderness here in CO, some of whom have NEVER been found. One hiker's remains were found after 4 or 5 years, and he was literally 50 ft from a 4WD road.

I've been periodically following the Gerry Largay story and honestly I think she either fell in a very obscure spot, or this was an abduction.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop1 View Post
    I wanted to share my account of a search that took place May 27-June 1 for Inchworm, the AT thru-hiker missing since July 2013. The search was organized by the Appalachian Long Distance Hikers Association, and I was fortunate enough to go as a reporter for the Home Page, a news source based in Brentwood, Tenn., where Inchworm and her husband were planning to make their home when she finished her hike.

http://www.brentwoodhomepage.com/bhp...6#.U5-payhRHwy
    Excellent article but too long winded............

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wülfgang View Post
    There have been several hikers get lost in the Holy Cross Wilderness here in CO, some of whom have NEVER been found. One hiker's remains were found after 4 or 5 years, and he was literally 50 ft from a 4WD road.

I've been periodically following the Gerry Largay story and honestly I think she either fell in a very obscure spot, or this was an abduction.
    Agree with that, I say she fell into a hole and either rocks or dirt fell in on top of her and buried her.........

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    foul play..................
    Foul play without explanation?

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckT View Post

I had brought this up in the older thread. A couple of questions I am wondering.
    BTW, Jessica, I admire the article. Great work researching it.

1. Verified is that Gerry was at Poplar Ridge Shelter around 7 am on the 22nd after spending night there. Picture was taken.
    2. Texted George at 07:15 on 22nd saying she would be there tomorrow as planned. (WHAT TOWER DID THIS PING HIT?)
    3. Gerry's Cell Phone PINGED a tower at 2:26 PM on 22nd (WHAT TOWER DID THIS PING HIT ALSO?)
    4 Susan at Stratton Hostel gets female call. (WHEN WAS THIS CALL RECEIVED?) I thought this call had been discounted as untrue.

Images

Ummm... The article was written a year ago. This can also be considered an "old' thread.

It's an old tread that has been revived. Inchworm is still missing. It's important to keep the discussion (and her memory) alive until she is found.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++