PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Soda Springs or Truckee?

Recommendations on which is best? This is my next stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not much in Soda Springs. There is a PO though not far from the PCT and THRT. If you want large grocery stores, public bus transportation around town, Amtrak access, great but some pricy somewhat touristy cafes, a PO that understands the hiking crowd, and a decent healthfood store go to Truckee.

Thanks!

Yeah I haven't seen Soda Springs but I thought Truckee was great. Also heard there is a place with all-you-can-eat sushi.

Oops, forgot to mention there's a small convenience type store in Soda Springs that could get a non choosey eater a few days(?, haven't been there in almost 4 yrs) trail food. I've only supplemented at the store though after mailing a box to the Soda Springs USPO and stopped in next at Sierra City on a PCT section hike extending a THRT thru-hike. I like Truckee better with more services though. It was nice when there were The Persons at Pooh's Corner in Truckee where you could send a box they would hold for you. From what I hear(I could be wrong!) they are no longer on Donner Lake trail angeling. They had a climbing wall inside their house and kayaks they lent hikers. I slept on their dock. AWESOME!

Images

Truckee is better by far if you are staying but Soda Springs works as well. Been to both on TRT but not PCT because I didn't think of it. I just went to Sierra City.
    Last edited by bamboo bob; 06-17-2014 at 13:59.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Images

If you haven't left Tahoe then I would reco going through to Sierra city. It is a fairly easy stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    If you haven't left Tahoe then I would reco going through to Sierra city. It is a fairly easy stretch.
    That's what I did. It took me about 2.5 days to get to Truckee and another 2 days to get to Sierra city and I wasn't in a particular hurry. I somehow went through the Sierra Nevada without seeing a bear which was unusual for me. But I saw one just before and in Sierra City so watch your food.

Images

+1 Truckee
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

I'm currently 10.1 miles from the hwy into Truckee. Going to do a few more to set myself up to get in and out early.

Looking ahead NOBO where do you see yourself resupplying? A little at the small grocery store in Sierra City so that you can get to Bucks Lake? Not much directly in Bucks Lake although you might get by at the restaurant/SMALL restaurant store on the lake and the OTHER SMALL STORE TO GET YA TO CHESTER. In Quincy(full resupply at large grocery store, I think a Safeway?) or skipping Sierra City and making it the 110 miles or so from Truckee into Quincy? The fastest way into Quincy I've found is from Bucks Lake; even though the hitch is longer the road from Bucks Lake into Quincy and back up to the lake is well traveled. Then Chester at the large grocery store? Chester has hiker friendly Motel. If I'm recalling correctly it's the Sierra Motel. They have even allowed hikers to tent on the lawn in a discreet manor. They may give a discount on a room to a nice guy if you ask nicely.

I ask because what you do NOBO as far as resupply will determine how many days you need to buy in Truckee. BTW, Tahoe City has a large grocery store too. I think an Albertsons. From Tahoe City you can take a public bus into Truckee if for some reason you wanted to do that too. Also, Quincy has a good health food store(I like sitting out front among the plants in their little sitting area/garden) and restaurants near the Safeway.

If it's hot out before you head out of Belden crossing the Feather River(and head back UP to the crest) consider heading into the Belden Town Resort Lodge Restaurant for one of their icy cold brews on tap. AGAIN, if you present yourself well they have been known to stack up some hiker sized food portions on their menu options. Across the street is a 3 site picnic area where IF you are stealthy you could stay(look for the wooden tower). Alternatively, about 1/4-1/2 mile BEFORE the Lodge are some free campsites on a side trail on the Feather River.

Dogwood, I'm just getting enough in Truckee to get to Sierra City. I'm in Truckee now, have resupplied and hope to be back on the trail in a few hours.

Go Forrest Go!

In and out of Truckee in just under 3 hours. Enjoyed a huge breakfast at The Wagon Train. $31.71 it cost.

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

Now that you've already made your move, this doesn't matter, but I was pretty happy with the Soda Springs store. It got me to Sierra City at a reasonable price, and I spent about 30 seconds with my thumb out each way. Perfectly adequate if you don't need a real town at the moment.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Everyone who went into soda springs had good things to say. I'm a sucker for stacks of pancakes so Truckee was perfect for me.

++ New Posts ++