WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    What is yellow thing ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The yellow thing is a fuel funnel with a screen filter in it SS. The kind used for filtering camp stove fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

This is a bit off the original topic, but just wondering if anyone uses their Mini, or other filter system, along with water purification tablets or drops. Would this be considered overkill and not necessary?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog76 View Post
    This is a bit off the original topic, but just wondering if anyone uses their Mini, or other filter system, along with water purification tablets or drops. Would this be considered overkill and not necessary?
    Given that filtering systems should take care of any bacteria in the water, the only thing the purification tables are going to be good for is killing viruses the filters can't remove. But viruses generally are not a problem in back country water supplies in the U.S. Viruses in the water is an issue when a water source acts as both a sewer and a water source.

Rather than carrying around a cut-up water bottle, I just use my cook pot for scooping up water from shallow sources. I strain the water through a bandana on the way to my Evernew bag if there's any debris. The cook pot is going to be at high temperatures anyway before I eat from it; it's going to be safe. I need the cook pot and bandana anyway, and it's smart to get extra uses from items you're carrying. An extra water bottle and a coffee filter aren't a lot of weight, but they're completely unnecessary weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog76 View Post
    Not a lot of mountain streams here in the midwest, when collecting water that might include upstream beaver ponds or pasture run off, I filter and use two drops of bleach per liter.

The mini sucks for flow rate, upgrade to the Squeeze for a few bucks, and at most, one ounce more. I also heard through the grapevine via a buddy at REI that "this summer" they're upgrading the filtering so that it will be "better than tapwater", so maybe hold out for the next-gen model.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    The mini sucks for flow rate, upgrade to the Squeeze for a few bucks, and at most, one ounce more. I also heard through the grapevine via a buddy at REI that "this summer" they're upgrading the filtering so that it will be "better than tapwater", so maybe hold out for the next-gen model.
    Check out my video, I haven't seen the bad flow rates that everyone talks about.

Wrong video, sorry, here it is ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++