WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

Default What's a 'decent/cheap' trail runner shoe from Academy etc?

I'm looking to buy a pair of trail runners to buy LOCALLY.

In town we have Payless, Walmart, Academy Sports, etc. (your typical 30,000 people town).

I'm looking for something cheap (I know I can buy good pair for $70-$120, but I will buy that when we get our back pay for disability in 90 days or so).... I just need something for about $45 or less, to use for now.

I don't expect anything great. I would only have it for less than 100 trail miles.

But I need something I can get in a 10.5 wide.

And something that dries pretty decent. There's a 9mile trail (18mi round trip) that crosses 9 creeks/rivers each way. So I need something that won't kill/rot my feet.

I'm guessing if I needed to, I could buy a cheap throwaway pair of $20 walmart shoes, but Im worried they would feel rough and not dry out at all.

Have you bought a ''decent" pair of trail shoes for under $45 that are comfortable and dry fast, from one of the common big-box retailers, that you can recommend?

Are there any you think are totally crap that I need to avoid?

I'm looking to go tomorrow or int he next few days.
    Me: Ricky
    Husky: Jack
    Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.
    From Dalton, Georgia (65 mi above Altanta, 15mi south of Chattanooga)

Merrell Moab Ventilator low cut works for me. I am on my 2nd or 3rd pair. I have learned to buy 1/2 size larger than normal to allow for wool socks as needed. Numerous members here claim they used 3 pairs of Moabs on AT Thru-Hikes. Available in 10 1/2 and 11 wide.
    Here you go...
    http://www.rei.com/product/748515/me...ing-shoes-mens

DO NOT BUY WATERPROOF SHOES. That is a lie-they are not waterproof. They get wet and don't dry as fast as the plain shoes.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

oops. Missed the $45 budget. I seriously doubt it unless you find discontinued shoes heavily discounted.
    Stick to name brand shoes. Pay a little more. Find them on sale. Your feet will tell you in a few miles if you bought cheap crap shoes. Been there. Done that. Never again.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

For those curious, this is the trail i want to take... So I need it to be able to handle this.

Also, the $45 budget is because I'm actually not supposed to "have" this money. it was some money I saved up for hiking shoes because I was only using $20 walmart shoes that lasted 23miles on trails. So since I need to keep my family from knowing I bought anything (since I'm supposed to be broke) I was hoping to just run into a local store and buy a cheap pair of shoes....... and then when the disability pay comes within 90 days, I will buy a nice pair of long lasting shoes...

I just need something cheap I can buy locally without raising suspicion of "How did you get those, if you are supposed to be broke?"

Trying to find something cheap to last for a few overnight hikes...... Til i buy a good pair later on.

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

this is what I found just by browsing academys website.http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/merr...313+4294954812 it says $39 but I don't know anything about hiking shoes.... But I like it says "water friendly"

Anybody know about these?

**EDIT** I have never walked/hiked in water, so thats what I'm most worried about. I don't wanna get to the camp at night and find out that clue/stitches tore and I have to hike back barefoot.
    Last edited by Ricky&Jack; 06-12-2014 at 16:38.

Academy should have "New Balance", New balance makes an awesome trail shoe and they will last alot longer than 100m, if academy don't have them then Shoe Show will, they cost between 40-50 dollars, I personnaly know hikers that hiked the entire AT using 2 pairs so they will last a good 500-800m comfortably. and i have used them i have hiked many miles in a pair of New Balance.

If you're just going to use them for a few hikes, any lightweight trail runners from a decent brand will be adequate. Check sales at local running / hiking shops and see what they're getting rid of. If something feels good on your feet, go with it.

For what it's worth, there are decent shoes you can get for reasonable prices. I buy most of my shoes from Sierra Trading Post. With their regular coupons through email, I rarely pay more than about $45 per pair (though I usually get a couple pair at a time to save on shipping).

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

question about walking in water...... If its 21 river/creek crossings in 9 miles...... Do you wear the same pair of socks the whole time, til the camp is reached for the night? what do you do when you have multiple water crossings in a day?

Personnaly i just walk through them with shoes and socks on and then walk them out dry, what are you going to do when it rains for 3-4-5 days straight your feet will get wet any ways, you will get used of being wet when your out for days, weeks or even months on end, when you get to camp put your camp shoes on and a dry pair of socks and let the wet stuff dry.

Images

Do you wear the same pair of socks the whole time, til the camp is reached for the night? what do you do when you have multiple water crossings in a day?

on trail---i wear socks and boots...

when i get to a water crossing---take socks and boots off and switch to a pair of crocs (and by the way---you can get cheap off brand water shoes at walmart)........after crossing, and depending upon how far the next crossing is, determines whether i stay in crocs or change back into socks and boots.......

generally, i want to keep my socks and boots as dry as possible....

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    on trail---i wear socks and boots...

when i get to a water crossing---take socks and boots off and switch to a pair of crocs (and by the way---you can get cheap off brand water shoes at walmart)........after crossing, and depending upon how far the next crossing is, determines whether i stay in crocs or change back into socks and boots.......

generally, i want to keep my socks and boots as dry as possible....
    So crocs and knock-off crocs are good for water crossing? Not too slick? Cause I was gonna pick up a really cheap pair at walmart as well, for camp shoes. But I can use for the water as well if convenient and not too dangerous

I hit the send too fast. New Balance is my other shoe of choice. Good shoes.
    For your immediate needs, if you only have $45, what difference does it make? Look for a name brand first in your price range. Merrell, New Balance, Nike, Asics, Hi-Tec, the list goes on. Tell the folks what you want to do. They may know something and steer you on to a decent shoe.
    Something on this page might work. In your area, Academy will have more hiking stuff than here in Texas. All guns, hunting & fishing here.
    http://www.academy.com/shop/browse/f...688+4294965205

Fit is more important than anything else. Some folks use a cheap pair of Crocs for stream crossings & camp shoes.

Wayne

hmmm
    I was in the same situation as you and bought some NB MT510's.
    Played disc golf in them for about a month with no issues.
    Took them to Disney and walked my butt off for 5 days.
    On the third day my big toe was completely numb. Still not back to normal after 3 weeks.
    They are not too tight either. Plenty of room in the toebox.
    I have an appointment next week to have my foot looked at by the doc.

My advice is to stay away from dirt cheap shoes. No support and wimpy (soft and flexy) soles.
    OR...buy a good insert. They will run you another 30-40 dollars.

Bump your price range up a little and buy a nice supportive shoe.

Images

So crocs and knock-off crocs are good for water crossing? Not too slick?

it all depends upon what's in the water.....

but, the hiking i do here in the southeast, with somewhat mossy rock and what not, i have not had a problem slipping...

but, also the key is to watch where ya step and how ya step.....

when i get to a water crossing-----i scope out a line that i think is safe.........see how current is flowing, how deep, how the rocks are, etc etc...........then i make crossing and adjust accordingly...

and yeah---i was a walmart a few weeks ago and saw a pair of keen knockoff sandals that were 8 bucks..............since my crocs are still in good shape, i didnt need a pair but kept it in the back of my mind in case i do...

also----since i wear boots and not trail runners-----i always have the crocs with me.........once i get into camp and set up---i change from boots to crocs to let me feet air out and give them more space......

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

I live 2hrs from you. So our water situation should be generally the same. Thanks for the recommendation

Images

I live 2hrs from you. So our water situation should be generally the same

yup.........

thats why i said it.....

and in this area----IMO, some of the best hiking around.....

so much to choose from......

some fine places like joyce kilmer/slickrock/citicio and the national park.....

i havent done cohutta or big frog but hope to hit it up this fall...........

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

yeah I want to do Jacks river crossing in Cohutta. That's the trail I created this thread for. soooo much water crossing

Do you ever read TipiWalter's trip reports when he goes up or down or along Slickrock Creek? I think he spends more time in that creek than he does on the trail. At high water too. With a huge heavy pack. Ask him how to do it.
    The photos you posted looked like a party. Not rough or dangerous. Low water I bet. Hot weather. The cool water would be a treat.
    You are thinking too much. Just do it.

Wayne

Here you go. Anything on this page will work for a summer. Probably longer. Your local store might have a few of these in your size.

http://www.academy.com/shop/browse/f.../_/N-571384064

Wayne

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++