WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Tentsites: Tellico Gap to Fontana Dam

Are there any good tent sites between Tellico Gap and Fontana Dam that I should check out in June?

I've never tented there but many will tell you to camp out on top of Cheoah Bald. Bring water from the previous shelter (Sasafrass?) The views are awesome.

You are not restricted to specific campsites in the NF, but they do suggest that you stay at the ones listed in the data book so as to lessen the impact (Leave no Trace). You can also tent at any of the shelters in this section. Unlike the Smokies, you are not required to stay IN the shelter. Camping near the shelter is your best option, as it gives you access to water sources.

Other tenting areas besides the shelters are: Grassy Gap, Cheoh Bald, Simp Gap, and Walker Gap. However, water is non existant, or unreliable at these areas during the summer months.

Cheoah Bald has the best sunrise/sunset views.
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

Thanks for the help! Overall is this section of the trail dry? Should I expect to not be able to fill up on water at any locations except the shelters?

Quote Originally Posted by EagerBeaver View Post
    Overall is this section of the trail dry? Should I expect to not be able to fill up on water at any locations except the shelters?
    Right now, there is plenty of water at higher elevations. We have had quite a bit of rain in the mountains the past 3 weeks, even though the Tennessee Valley is about 6 inches below normal for the year. As you get into July/August, the springs on the ridgeline (where the AT runs) tend to be dry except at the shelter locations. Typically, with a decent amount of rain, the springs are flowing. If you are there during the heat of summer (85+) and it hasn't rained in 8-10 days, then you should be prepared for dry springs.
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

Well, I’m not sure if it’s proper etiquette but the Wesser Bald Observation tower is a neat place to camp. To be kind to day hikers and passerby’s I would personally wait until sundown to pitch a shelter and/or get all spread-out with my stuff. There is no water nearby (spring is .7 miles north of Tower) and that site is just over a mile from Tellico Gap so maybe not logistically doable for a Tellico Gap start. If you were arriving at night after a long drive it could make sense to stop there as a quick camp.

++ New Posts ++