WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I use a FireLite 0.9-liter titanium pot & lid weighing in at 2.90 ounces combined with the Snow Peak LiteMax at 1.98 ounces for a total of 4.88 ounces. For my 8+ day section hikes I also bring a 4-foot square of aluminum foil (1.40 oz) that I can use as a partial wrap-around windbreak and pot lid.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Just a word on the 550ml size pot. I find it's not large enough for my entire dinners with one boil/burn cooking a Knorr's side(especially a rice side, the rice sides take up a bit more volume once fully cooked), 3 oz foil pack of tuna, and perhaps some bits of onion and greens/broccoli. 1.5 packs of Ramen and tuna are even a bit too much FOR ME using a 550 ml pot. I find for me the smallest pot I can get away with with one boil and not starving myself is about 900 ml(28 fl oz).

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    I use a FireLite 0.9-liter titanium pot & lid weighing in at 2.90 ounces combined with the Snow Peak LiteMax at 1.98 ounces for a total of 4.88 ounces. For my 8+ day section hikes I also bring a 4-foot square of aluminum foil (1.40 oz) that I can use as a partial wrap-around windbreak and pot lid.
    Firelite is the BPL brand yes? Has there been anyone to step in and replace them- missed my chance at them- but I believe if they were still available they would be the lightest around.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Just a word on the 550ml size pot. I find it's not large enough for my entire dinners with one boil/burn cooking a Knorr's side(especially a rice side, the rice sides take up a bit more volume once fully cooked), 3 oz foil pack of tuna, and perhaps some bits of onion and greens/broccoli. 1.5 packs of Ramen and tuna are even a bit too much FOR ME using a 550 ml pot. I find for me the smallest pot I can get away with with one boil and not starving myself is about 900 ml(28 fl oz).
    Agree 100% for cooking. A single package of Ramen exceeds the 550ml pot if you use the full 2 cups of water.
    If you freezerbag/tupperware cook you can get away with the 550ml- that size is a beverage maker water boiler only.
    I would consider a 600ml a minimum, .9l if I had to pick "one pot to rule them all"

Although the OP did ask about the lightest and set the limit at 550ml.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Firelite is the BPL brand yes? Has there been anyone to step in and replace them- missed my chance at them- but I believe if they were still available they would be the lightest around.
    Yep, actually Bozeman Mountain Works sold through BPL. I haven't seen any of their gear around for at least a year, which is too bad as they had some crazy lightweight stuff that I was considering.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

What about windscreens?
    Snow peak and Soto both have windscreens available, reflects the heat up to the pot and away from the canister, more efficient.
    If you make your own windscreen for a pocket rocket you risk overheating the canister, just maybe KaBoom
    The pizo on the snow peak weights about as much as a bic lighter.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    What about windscreens?...
    If you make your own windscreen for a pocket rocket you risk overheating the canister, just maybe KaBoom...
    Note that Kerosene specifically stated "partial wrap-around windbreak"... That's the key to using wind screens safely. The idea isn't so much to reflect heat back towards the pot but to block the wind from blowing on the flame. You want to keep the leeward side of the windscreen open so that excess heat can escape and avoid over-heating the canister.

If I remember correctly, the canister has the warning that it should be protected from temperatures exceeding 120º. If so, then all you have to do is make sure the canister doesn't feel hot to the touch while using your windbreak and all should be fine.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyWalker View Post
    I think the lightest would be any titanium pot with the titanium Fire Fly stove. QiWiz is the maker of the Fire Fly and is on WB a lot. Check it out at:http://www.qiwiz.net/
    Yea SW I agree but trail runners can ruin your night... there will be areas where a wood stove will not be allowed and you need a back up plan. Also, I use his stove as a wind break for the alcohol stove - I just drop it in the middle.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Thanks all - lots of great info!

Quote Originally Posted by July View Post
    Grease pot is aluminum. If you spend much time eating out of it, before long, you will have a thousand spoon scrapes throughout. Think of all that aluminum you have ingested...
    The vast majority of the Al you will have ingested will come from your food, water, toiletries, and medicines, just like everyone else.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articl...29/1163941.htm

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    The vast majority of the Al you will have ingested will come from your food, water, toiletries, and medicines, just like everyone else.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articl...29/1163941.htm
    Thanks Odd Man, Al is present in a VAST amount of everyday use products. Just as informed people read 'labels' on the products that they purchase, to food choices, I would think that with all the choices of cookware, the "grease pot" is an option. I have used one in the past, now it makes a very nice sewing kit container in the cabin.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2782734/

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by July View Post
    Grease pot is aluminum. If you spend much time eating out of it, before long, you will have a thousand spoon scrapes throughout. Think of all that aluminum you have ingested...
    Aluminum metal and aluminum oxide have comparatively low bioavailability. You get a lot more aluminum exposure from the potassium aluminum sulfate that municipal water supplies use as a flocculant.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    The Fire Maple (called hornet or wasp-depending on who translated it when boxing in China) FMS 300T is the lightest canister stove on the market at 45g.
    Arguments could be made for better, more efficient, etc. But as far as weight- this is it.
    FWIW- this stove remains my favorite overall-the TI version has a different burner head. My personal stove is nearly 12 years old, no issues, ever.
    http://www.amazon.com/Snow-Peak-Giga.../dp/B001SMOWHQ

The olicamp Ion is the same stove, or as Roger Caffin more accurately puts it-
    "Of course not! The Olicamp ones are BLUE! That obviously makes them ever so much better... :-) Cheers"

I own one, it is an excellent stove. Assuming you are carrying an ignition source anyway and depending on how you do your math, you could count your mini-bic (13g) as part of the weight.
    As WOO obtusely shared, it is now easy to get in the US- http://www.amazon.com/Camping-Backpa...VM23209B2Q5Y1F

A beer can pot is still the lightest, and technically commercially available. But if you're not much for having to baby your pot and/or occasionally might want to cook on an open fire.

The Toak's pot is quite light, 3oz. including the lid. I am not 100% positive it is the absolute market available lightest pot, but it is very close.
    I also own it, happy with it, the stuff sack included is nice and the pot stows a small (100g) canister, the stove, a mini-bic, and a lightload towel with no issues.
    http://www.amazon.com/TOAKS-Titanium.../dp/B00CYA26BU

At about $60 for the pair, including shipping. It is hard to argue with this setup.
    Compared to a Jetboil, I feel this is a better starting rig- you can use any pot should your needs or trip type change. If your fuel curiosity leads you elsewhere, the pot can be used with any alchy, esbit, or wood fire.

All the Toaks brand stuff is nice, much cheaper than comparable TI (walls are thinner- non-issue with basic boil cooking), and doesn't (yet) run into the availability issues common with Evernew.

As a cheaper, non-TI alternative at 3oz (no lid) this is a popular alternative putting you all in (stove and pot) for under $50.
    http://www.amazon.com/Olicamp-Anodiz...ds=olicamp+ion
    You've inspired me to purchase The Olicamp Ion in part due to Roger Caffin's information on it be blue in color

A flat bottom Foster can should be an ideal pot for the stove. The reason I want the stove is to see how it fits the bottom of my fosters. The bottom has a "lip" on it's outer edge which would prevent the pot from slipping off. I have read numerous threads that indicate canister stoves and pots sliding of if not careful due to the nature of the pot supports on the stove. So a pot with a raised lip on the outer edge would be ideal, plus the pot weighs only 1 ounce.

The lightest will be titanium, titanium, titanium....
    The burners work great, but I hope you have better luck with the pot than I did. It burned everything I cooked, even on a slow simmer. I returned it to REI.
    No such problems with aluminum.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Matt65 View Post
    I have an Olicamp Ion stove that is 1.5oz, 45 grams. Indoor 2 Cup boil times under 3.5 minutes in a space saver cup.

http://www.olicamp.com/products-stoves/ion

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Hello Matt65.....nice close up photo. Thanks for posting that.

It's going to take a week for the stove I purchased to arrive. Can you do me a favor in the name of stove science and measure the diameter of what those pot supports extend out to, tip to tip. I sure would appreciate it.

Images

What kind of cooking you do affects the pot you should use. I use the snowpeak bowl (holds 20 oz, $16.95 at REI) with aluminum foil lid. It works great for boiling water and light cooking. For doing real cooking I'd more likely use a hard anodized aluminum pot that is a bit deeper.

For a stove I usually use an old Snowpeak giga stove. For colder weather I'd use a Fire Maple stove that allows inverting the canister. For really cold weather I'd use my Optimus Nova white gas/kerosene stove.

Journal Entries

my gnat (1.7 oz) and zelph flat bottom 2 cup pot (1.05 oz with lid) weigh a whopping 2.75 oz together.

The zelph flat bottom pot has a steel bottom, and works fine with a cannister stove, at least with me because I turn the heat down so it takes about 8-9 min to boil water, just like alcohol, and the fuel usage is on par with a jetboil, as low as 0.18 oz-0.2 oz per 2 cup boil.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-30-2014 at 19:56.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    my gnat (1.7 oz) and zelph flat bottom 2 cup pot (1.05 oz with lid) weigh a whopping 2.75 oz together.

The zelph flat bottom pot has a steel bottom, and works fine with a cannister stove, at least with me because I turn the heat down so it takes about 8-9 min to boil water, just like alcohol, and the fuel usage is on par with a jetboil, as low as 0.18 oz-0.2 oz per 2 cup boil.
    The steel bottom is well adapted to wood fires also. It should withstand the heat of all canister stoves.

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Hello Matt65.....nice close up photo. Thanks for posting that.

It's going to take a week for the stove I purchased to arrive. Can you do me a favor in the name of stove science and measure the diameter of what those pot supports extend out to, tip to tip. I sure would appreciate it.
    No problem. It's been a great little stove so far. My best measurement on the stand diameter is about 83mm.

uploadfromtaptalk1404179547801.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

lol, beat me to it- for what it's worth Zelph- here ya go.
    Matt likely did it best- as you can see- not quite a circular or even spread.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++