WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1st aide kit

sorry, double post
    Last edited by perrymk; 06-11-2014 at 05:53.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    I'm a (retired) emergency room nurse practitioner. I also used to teach wilderness first aid. The single most important thing in your first aid kit is the knowledge that is inside your head in how to handle what ever may come. You do not need much....
    Ditto this. I'm a retired firefighter/EMT. The more training I received (and coincidentally the more I hiked), the less I carried in the backcountry. Besides my two-ounce first aid kit, which centers around skin care, I have a set of poles, a bandanna, duct tape, clean water, shelter, and dry insulation. And enough trail experience to avoid many of the issues for which a first aid is needed, and to know I never need any medications on trail.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    I'm an EMT and I carry very little in first aid supplies.

Leukotape, 5 feet rolled around a straw
    Ibuprofen
    2 Asprin, for chest pain, heart attack
    Safety pin
    Band Aids
    Neosporin, small tube

The most important thing to carry is knowledge. Consider taking a first aid course.
    I was an EMT in and near Sequoia Nat'l Park. I carry about the same as Don, except I like Nexcare Absolute Waterproof tape for taping feet. I also have a very large silk scarf that could be used as a sling.

Common sense and knowing our own limitations goes a long way. Hiking is a lot like skiing. Like skiing, the most common hiking accident is falling. And this is an educated guess, but most of the falls probably happen in the afternoon or evening when we are tired (like the proverbial last run of the day while skiing). And like skiing, stuff happens when people get in over their heads... be it creek crossings, underestimating the desert, or altitude or _____ or _____.

But, stopping when tired (including resting and enough sleep) and eating and drinking and not falling down or tripping is probably the best (and most literal) First Aide strategy there is.

Quote Originally Posted by yerbyray View Post
    My kit weighs 6.3 ounces... I know that sounds like an extreme amount of weight but to each their own. I'd rather carry a few ounces here than be carried out of the woods.
    6.3 oz isn't that much. No offense, be aware that there is nothing in your kit that will prevent you from being "carried out of the woods". If you have an injury to the extent that you can't walk out of the woods on your own... they you will be carried out of the woods. Any of us... no matter if we are carrying 2 band-aids or 1 pound of first aide supplies could be carried out of the woods, given the wrong injury/heart attack/whatever.

But driving to the trail head is the riskiest thing most backpackers will do on most trips.
    Last edited by DLP; 06-11-2014 at 13:05.

Burns... burns are a common backpacking injury. Being careful goes a long way.

Overuse and repetitive stress/motion injuries are probably most common to thru/long distance hikers. This is a case where knowledge and common sense help more than an item carried in a first aide kit.
    Last edited by DLP; 06-11-2014 at 13:00.

Quote Originally Posted by DLP View Post
    ... knowledge and common sense..
    Saves a lot of weight and bulk.

First things first, tourniquets have a bad rap. They do not cause limb lost like everyone thinks. The military has don't numerous studies on this. Secondly, to lighten up your first aid kit, learn to how to use multi use everyday items. A banana can be used as a wrap for sprains, or used with two sticks used as a splint. Take a two small pieces of alum rocks, put one in each pocket. This will stop chafing. If your water filter breaks, alum will purify your water. The alum crystals are also antibacterial. But if you have soap and a little bit of friction ( you can wash the bacteria off). If your bleeding is so bad, bust out your stove and heat the blade of your knife and cauterize it closed, and guess what? The wound now is sterile. Don't want to you use your only banana? Well boil some water and throw your socks in it, and now you have a sterile dressing. Have diarrhea ? Throw some mud in your pot, heat it up, let it cool and eat a handful (its called geophagy and the mud will absorb poisons toxins, and even viruses). If your paying attention to where you step and come into contact with poison ivy, wash it off with soap and water. Wet feet? Rub the alum crystal on em after cleaning them, or Vaseline, mushers secret or other foot balm. The petroleum will bring white blood cells to the surface to help heal and dry your feet out (why you don't use it on a tattoo lol). I think alot of yal over think the first aid thing, and unfortunately the only cure for the rapid contingent of ignorance is real life experience. Snake bits, are another thing, none of the gizmos they sell work, don't cut it and try to suck it out or any of the other myths people believe. The ONLY thing that will work besides anti venom, is to remain CALM. The slower your heart beats the slower the spread. If you get all worked up, the adrenaline will speed up your heart and make the spread faster. Control your breathing, your heart beat and understand you will live. (Oh I was bitten by a copperhead....real life experience)

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by redzombie View Post
    A banana can be used as a wrap for sprains, or used with two sticks used as a splint.
    I tried that. It was delicious.
    Me: Ricky
    Husky: Jack
    Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.
    From Dalton, Georgia (65 mi above Altanta, 15mi south of Chattanooga)

bandanna, lol. Yeah not the greatest speller

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++