WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Anybody in Denver willing to lend CT maps/databooks with a deposit or resell them?

Denver trail community,

Just a quick inquiry as to if anybody in Denver/Boulder area that already has the CT databook or mapbook, the full/partial set of TI maps, or just the Latitude 40 Buena Vista map, for the trail would be interested in doing a map lending agreement in exchange for a cash deposit/refund upon return.

I could also be interested in simply buying your used maps/databooks that might be collecting dust...

Call me frugal if you want, but given some of the reviews I read of maps barely being a necessity beyond the databook, or just the fact that I might never use them again after the thru, I figure it doesn´t hurt to ask.

Also, if I do decide to go ahead and buy the CTF mapbook, is that available in a physical store location in Denver, or only online?

I will be passing through Denver likely July 6-8th before starting the thru on the 13th. Finishing mid-August.

Thanks for reading, GlobeTrotter...

Images

I have two sets of printable TOPO maps (JPEG files) I made of the trail (from the TOPO program), I'd be glad to get them to you. One set is a lower rez, 14 files cover the trail, elevations are in meters. The other set is full resolution NSGS topo's, but there are 40 of them, no biggie, but a lot of paper to carry if you print them. I personally think the low-rez maps are plenty good enough, you just have to think in meters for the elevations. All the main features along the trail are shown, of course.

Colorado Rob, thanks alot! I will PM you...

Anybody else, still feel free to comment about the databook or other auxiliary maps, I will post once I have my map/guide situation fully figured out.

I definitely like the idea of doing the alternates of hope pass, collegiate west, and maybe even the lost creek alternate, so any of TI #105, #127, #129, #130, #139, and/or the Lat 40 Salida/Buena Vista could be of interest to me.

Getting excited...had planned to do the CT last year, but....well, I had a hard time leaving the Huaraz region of Perú...definitely a life-lister for any of those more international explorers, the 9 day Huayhuash circuit topped out a 16,600 ft, non-technical/no guide necessary. Nearby Hatun Machay might also be the best rock climbing spot in the world...at 14,000ft!

huayhuash.jpg

So, the TOPO maps look great and that is what I am taking with me.

Thanks to anybody who read this and even considered it! In my experience I have not done a single trail that has so many options for which maps to use, and with out being able to view them in person, it was a bit of a conflict to make a decision.

Btw, anybody know a reliable place to buy the CT databook in a physical store location (bookstore or outdoor store) in Denver? I am moving around alot before getting to CO would prefer to pick it up at a store than hope I get the shipping and my location right at the right time.

Thanks!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by GlobeTrotter View Post
    Btw, anybody know a reliable place to buy the CT databook in a physical store location (bookstore or outdoor store) in Denver? I am moving around alot before getting to CO would prefer to pick it up at a store than hope I get the shipping and my location right at the right time.

Thanks!
    Glad those maps worked out for you. Hitting the trail tomorrow for sections 1-6 or 7.

The CT Databook is available at the CMC (Colorado mountain club) in Golden, 10th and Washington street. Not sure the hours, the museum hours are: Monday: 9am - 6pm, Tuesday: 9am - 7pm, Wednesday: 9am - 6pm, Thursday: 9am - 6pm, Friday: 9am - 4pm, and Saturday 12:00pm - 5pm. The CMC desk where you can buy the book should be open at least these hours.

You can phone ahead to the REI Denver to make sure they have CT Databook 5th Edition before making the trip. In Golden the Colo Mtn Club has it for sure and you should phone them ahead to make sure you know their hours/days.

PM me. I have the latest edit Databook, all the Nat Geo TI maps covering the CT and the Collegiate West route, and the CT guidebook.

Images

woops: I also forgot to mention: in the AMC (that 10th & Washington bldg. in golden) is the CT foundation HQ:

http://www.coloradotrail.org/contactus.html

Hours M-F 9-5. Small little "HQ" (one rather small room), but friendly folks man it, they of course have the book.

Just checked with Colo Mtn Club about their hours in Golden: open non-holidays Mon-Thur 9:00-6:00 and Fri 9:00-3:00, closed Sat, Sun & holidays ... and they do have and sell both the CT Guidebook and the CT Databook, newest editions.

Also confirmed that the CT Foundation does NOT sell any of their books at their super-small Golden office ... their "store" is online only.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by On Track View Post
    Also confirmed that the CT Foundation does NOT sell any of their books at their super-small Golden office ... their "store" is online only.
    Good info, and thanks for the correction. The CMC/AMC "store" (basically, the CMC front desk) is just down the hall from the CT foundation office. But stop by that office and chat! They love to talk about the CT.

Thanks a lot for the info!

Awesome, love it!

I'm hiking Denver to Durango with two friends starting July 14th. We have one guidebook but we were wondering if there is any possibility of getting another copy of a older version of the guidebook to have as another option in case we get split up. Does anyone have an extra older guidebook they wouldn't mind parting wth? We would pay for shipping. Or maps as another option. Thanks!

Cuz they're still changing the trail (reroutes, some extensive) I don't think of the old books as very reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprout2011 View Post
    I'm hiking Denver to Durango with two friends starting July 14th. We have one guidebook but we were wondering if there is any possibility of getting another copy of a older version of the guidebook to have as another option in case we get split up.
    Just make photocopies. i never take any of the guide books i buy into the field...they are too heavy. i typically just photocopy the important stuff and use it as tinder as it becomes obsolete through trail progression.

I've got the latest edition of the databook, the collegiate loop map book, erik the blacks CT atlas, and the full set of latitude 40 maps. In denver also! PM me!

++ New Posts ++