WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

Default Have you made a DIY backpack? Input requested.

I bought a "thread injector" a few days ago and have practiced sewing on cut up shirts, and tyvek priority envelopes from the post office.

I bought it because I hope to eventually make my underquilt/topquilt for my new hammock.

But I'm almost interested in the prospect of a DIY pack. Either UL or not, so I have a few questions for people who have made DIY packs.

Most of these are about 'first time' builder:

1...... Was your pack for UL or not?
    2...... How long did/has it lasted you on the trail?
    3...... How much did it cost to make it?
    4...... Including cutting/measuring/sewing etc, how long did it take to make (in hours)?
    5...... Is there a really good and easy youtube video for people to follow?
    6...... on a scale of 1-10, how hard was it to make for the first time?
    7...... How much weight can/has it safely held for an extended period of time?
    8...... What did your pack weigh empty?

I'm sure I'm jumping the gun on already thinking about this. But I've been pretty excited since i bought my machine a few days ago.
    Me: Ricky
    Husky: Jack
    Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.
    From Dalton, Georgia (65 mi above Altanta, 15mi south of Chattanooga)

Images

I can't post the link from work right at the moment, so I'll have to post it when I get home but a member here -- XTrekker has made DIY packs. You can hit YouTube and look up his 7 part video on his backpack project. Just look up Xtrekker for his channel or "XTrekker DIY Backpack."
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Buy this book-
    http://www.rayjardine.com/ray-way/Trail-Life/index.htm
    It will save you and everyone lot's of typing. ;0

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    I can't post the link from work right at the moment, so I'll have to post it when I get home but a member here -- XTrekker has made DIY packs. You can hit YouTube and look up his 7 part video on his backpack project. Just look up Xtrekker for his channel or "XTrekker DIY Backpack."

Thanks. that youtube video link will prove invaluble. He shows step by step.

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Buy this book-
    http://www.rayjardine.com/ray-way/Trail-Life/index.htm
    It will save you and everyone lot's of typing. ;0
    I have that book. but it seemed more on Ultra light. 7 out of 8 of my questions were about making a backpack in general, with a sewing machine.

Unless there was more to the book that I dont remember when I read the book last month, I may have to go threw it again and look for directions on making a backpack, if that's what you're implying was in there.

I've been following Ray for a while. The dude is living the ultimate backpacking life. The guys been to the South pole. How freaking sweet is that!

Quest Outfitters has the Gossamer Gear designed G4 pack pattern (and kits with all supplies) available. That might be a good place to start.

http://www.questoutfitters.com/patterns-packs-cart.htm

Images

Here is the link to XTrekker's YouTube channel --
    http://m.youtube.com/user/xTrekk

Here is Part 1 of the 7 part series on the backpack

His double layer hammock video --

And a tarp DIY with Fronky --
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

yeah, i spent the past 45minutes on there looking.... pretty sure I'll try tree slings next.

That dude totally does it right by giving clear instructions

Images

I made a pack for myself starting with the G4 kit from Quest and I modified it into a Mariposa. My opinion is that a pack is the hardest thing to make. I have made 3 tents, vests, wind jacket, wind pants, quilts, stuff sacks, dry bags, food bags, mittens, camp shoes, and on and on. The pack took me probably 3 weeks to make and now I use a SMD pack because I need to make mine a little wider and it is a lot of work so I have put that on the back burner.

If you go to the DIY Tactical forum I refered you to in another post, they have a ton of tutorials, including how to make a backpack. Plus lots of info on maintaining your sewing machine, tools of the trade, materials, and more.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

Journal Entries
    Images

See Six Moon Designs
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky&Jack View Post
    I have that book. but it seemed more on Ultra light. 7 out of 8 of my questions were about making a backpack in general, with a sewing machine.

Unless there was more to the book that I dont remember when I read the book last month, I may have to go threw it again and look for directions on making a backpack, if that's what you're implying was in there.

I've been following Ray for a while. The dude is living the ultimate backpacking life. The guys been to the South pole. How freaking sweet is that!
    The last chapter is about making your own gear. It remains the only book about sewing I have read. Start with the first project and go from there.
    Yes-it includes a backpack design. Nearly every UL backpack design, including mainstream packs is some version of Ray's pack and/or Glen Van Peski's pack(G4 pack pattern at quest)
    Ray is a super badass, although it's still weird for me to think of him as a backpacker. Prior to that he was the greatest sport climber on the planet at one point. He invented Friends (cams) and completely changed that sport before "slowing down" and revolutionizing backpacking. Much more than just a UL book.

anywho- not that it will help much but-
    1...... Was your pack for UL or not? YES
    2...... How long did/has it lasted you on the trail? 1.1oz sil-nylon (200-400 miles) 1.9 oz sil nylon- 500+ That said, I have never had or heard of a catastrophic failure. SUL materials show enough wear that I get nervous enough to retire them. Also- I (and most folks) tend to always "have a better version" to test so- you never find a pack to use for the long haul (over 500 mi). Many homemade packs make it on a thru though (and many on more than one)
    3...... How much did it cost to make it? as little as $25
    4...... Including cutting/measuring/sewing etc, how long did it take to make (in hours)? 40-120- but I make my own patterns.
    5...... Is there a really good and easy youtube video for people to follow? no, but the one posted is decent
    6...... on a scale of 1-10, how hard was it to make for the first time? 10
    7...... How much weight can/has it safely held for an extended period of time? SUL pack 25lb, UL pack 40lb, beefy UL-50lb
    8...... What did your pack weigh empty? SUL-6oz-12 oz. UL-16oz to 22oz.

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    The last chapter is about making your own gear. It remains the only book about sewing I have read. Start with the first project and go from there.
    Yes-it includes a backpack design. Nearly every UL backpack design, including mainstream packs is some version of Ray's pack and/or Glen Van Peski's pack(G4 pack pattern at quest)
    Ray is a super badass, although it's still weird for me to think of him as a backpacker. Prior to that he was the greatest sport climber on the planet at one point. He invented Friends (cams) and completely changed that sport before "slowing down" and revolutionizing backpacking. Much more than just a UL book.

anywho- not that it will help much but-
    1...... Was your pack for UL or not? YES
    2...... How long did/has it lasted you on the trail? 1.1oz sil-nylon (200-400 miles) 1.9 oz sil nylon- 500+ That said, I have never had or heard of a catastrophic failure. SUL materials show enough wear that I get nervous enough to retire them. Also- I (and most folks) tend to always "have a better version" to test so- you never find a pack to use for the long haul (over 500 mi). Many homemade packs make it on a thru though (and many on more than one)
    3...... How much did it cost to make it? as little as $25
    4...... Including cutting/measuring/sewing etc, how long did it take to make (in hours)? 40-120- but I make my own patterns.
    5...... Is there a really good and easy youtube video for people to follow? no, but the one posted is decent
    6...... on a scale of 1-10, how hard was it to make for the first time? 10
    7...... How much weight can/has it safely held for an extended period of time? SUL pack 25lb, UL pack 40lb, beefy UL-50lb
    8...... What did your pack weigh empty? SUL-6oz-12 oz. UL-16oz to 22oz.
    Awesome, thanks.

And I'll have to look back at the book again. I probably just wasnt paying attention to the guide part at the back because when i read it, I didnt even think about making my own gear. I'll give it another look.

Thanks.

4...... Including cutting/measuring/sewing etc, how long did it take to make (in hours)?

I built a G4. I made a thread about it last winter when I made it (12+ months ago)

1 - kinda. It's for what I take, with is about 20 lbs loaded
    2 - 12 months so far, but I've only taken it on 2 hikes so far - not enough time to get out
    3 - $35
    4 - 10 hours
    5 - Don't know
    6 - 5
    7 - 16.3 kg
    8 - 393g / 13.8 oz

I started one about 3-4 years ago. Started as a G4 kit and modified it buy swapping out to cuben fiber and silnylon then figured what the heck its so light it will probably fall apart under load so I decided to build a SUL frame for it. Originally I wanted to create a SUL frame to strap a bag onto so I ended up with what I wanted sort of but still not finished. Weighs about 12 oz and is probably 60L.

Images

I made a couple of Ray-way packs. Good project, medium difficulty, ultra-light, good on the trail up to about 20-25 lbs. The directions and materials are top notch.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

The book goes over the general design and construction, but nowhere near what a newbie needs. You can buy the kit for the pack from Ray's website, and it comes with 30 pages or so of extremely detailed instructions and patterns, plus all materials. The cost isnt too much more than what it would cost you to source it all yourself. I did the kit over the course of a month, 1-3hrs per night, not every night, so I'd guess about 30-40 hours. This was my first pack, and first time ever following a pattern. It was not difficult if you follow directions and dont assume you know what you are doing, and can keep front from back straight in your mind - I had trouble with all of those at times. ;-) Sewing silnylon can be a bit tricky too, it's slippery. Id recommend this kit, mainly for the instructions, it taught me a lot about sewing actually. Came out nice, and has been durable.

If you are just starting out sewing dont start out building a backpack. A pack is an incredible PIA IMO.
    Clothing is even worse.

Build yourself a climashield quilt first or something simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky&Jack View Post
    1 - I carried around 20 - 25lbs with 2L of water (and 1L of vodka )
    2 - Only one weekend hike so far, around 30 miles. One side pocket I rushed on tore from overstuffing it.
    3 - Around $25 (material from DIY gear supply and various old backpacks)
    4 - 15 hours or so
    5 - Join the G4 yahoo group. There is an album of photos there that goes step by step with the instructions provided
    6 - 5, not very hard. Lots of parts to coordinate, but take your time and it's not too bad.
    7 - No idea, it was pretty comfortable at the 25lb mark
    8 - Around 14oz empty

I modified the G4 design a bit, integrating a flip over extension collar (similar to the new Gossamer Gear packs), removing the hip belt, etc. Made my own patterns and started sewing. I definitely have some changes to incorporate on version 2, but this is pretty nice for my first stab at it. Here are a few pointers to save cash on your first build -

1 - I used the flat sections of a thermarest ridgerest for my shoulder strap padding, worked great (and free)
    2 - Poached thicker cordura from old backpacks for reinforcing areas
    3 - Also took webbing, buckles, etc. from these packs where I could to save $$$
    4 - Get the medium weight gutterman thread, thin was a little too thin
    5 - Grossgrain ribbon is way easier to sew through than regular webbing. Use it wherever you can to save weight and beating up your machine. I'll only use webbing for the shoulder strap adjustment portions on my next one.

Hey Ricky&Jack, did you ever end up MYOGing a backpack? hammock?

Glad the vids were helpful. Working on my next pack now but just dont have time to make a tutorial. I have two more packs to make after that and I will make a simple quick and easy DIY Video with downloadable templates in the future. Might be around the winter time before I get started on them. So keep an eye out on my channel for em. Ill be sure to share them on the forums as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++