WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Where is the bubble?

Anyone know where the southern end of the bubble is now?
    " Rover, Wanderer, Nomad, Vagabond call me what you will " Metallica

Images

Entering Shenandoah National Park at Rockfish Gap.

The southern tip of the thru-hikers are in Pearisburg VA area and their is a couple in Hampton TN, you will find thru-hikers through out VA,WVA,PA and southern NJ.

Pearisburg, VA, 625 miles on a NOBO, 1550 to go.
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

What? Thru-hikers already left?

Damn this comfy couch!

2015 bound!
    Me: Ricky
    Husky: Jack
    Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.
    From Dalton, Georgia (65 mi above Altanta, 15mi south of Chattanooga)

The middle of the bubble is in the south part of Shenandoah National Park, as johnnybgood says; the south end of it is nearing Atkins, VA and the north end of it is around Delaware Water Gap, PA. Any thru-hiker outside of that area is among the 15% of farthest along the trail or 15% of least far along when it comes to NOBO thru-hike completers, if this year is like past years.
    Last edited by map man; 05-31-2014 at 17:09.

Images

I just strolled into Pearisburg yesterday and there are a fair amount of hikers here. I can definitely confirm that I'm still in the bubble here. I have a big month ahead of me though! I'm hoping to hit the midpoint by July 1st. Yikes. June is going to be a lot of walking!
    http://www.itsonlywalking.com - Yellow Beard's 2014 Thru-hike - April 1st - October 10th

Registered User O-H-10 Lil Ohio's Avatar

Default Many are in SNP

I spent Friday and Saturday in Shenandoah National Park doing trail magic. I located myself at a campsite in big meadows at site E 181 in the park. I was able to provide trail magic to around 29 thru hikers, and one sectionhiker many of us know Smoky Mountain Trail club . 6 of them decided to stay at my campsite. They were able to get the adjoining campsite next to me , with their permission the following people shared the evening / and Saturday morning eating hot dogs hamburgers ,chips, sodas/water/jucies,,yogurt bananas, and apples. Here is a list of the thru hikers passing through Big Meadows on May 3oth: Spot, Bluejay, Redleg,(linked up w/his sister in SNP) Big Mo, Oconee, Kickapoo,The Kallin Family ,Cartwheel, .Robinhood, Mama Bear, Dad-Starting dok(msp) and their dog Orion, Jett Cat, Wired, High loon, ending the day with Bismarck and Hopper. Hopefully I'll meet up with them again when I do my southbound in mid-july that is all I have...Tic-Toc

Loved reading the Wired, Bismark and Hopper names. Wish I was there
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by O-H-10 Lil Ohio View Post
    I spent Friday and Saturday in Shenandoah National Park doing trail magic. I located myself at a campsite in big meadows at site E 181 in the park. I was able to provide trail magic to around 29 thru hikers, and one sectionhiker many of us know Smoky Mountain Trail club . 6 of them decided to stay at my campsite. They were able to get the adjoining campsite next to me , with their permission the following people shared the evening / and Saturday morning eating hot dogs hamburgers ,chips, sodas/water/jucies,,yogurt bananas, and apples. Here is a list of the thru hikers passing through Big Meadows on May 3oth: Spot, Bluejay, Redleg,(linked up w/his sister in SNP) Big Mo, Oconee, Kickapoo,The Kallin Family ,Cartwheel, .Robinhood, Mama Bear, Dad-Starting dok(msp) and their dog Orion, Jett Cat, Wired, High loon, ending the day with Bismarck and Hopper. Hopefully I'll meet up with them again when I do my southbound in mid-july that is all I have...Tic-Toc
    On Saturday I hiked Thorton Gap to Big Meadows and I did pass about 20 some thrus. I do remember the names of Bismarck and Hopper.

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    The middle of the bubble is in the south part of Shenandoah National Park... if this year is like past years.
    I wonder how this year has been going on the trail. It was a very cold winter in many parts, but it seems that the thru-hiking season has been relatively calm compared to last year's weather and Norovirus outbreak.

Images

Birds Nest Hut did have a new sign up warning hikers to wash their hands to stop the spread of a stomach virus . But i have not heard of anyone being sick.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

#bubblecoddlers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I want you to doubt me. I don't want you to believe, because this is something I must use to succeed." -Eminem

From one who was VERY coddled.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Journal Entries
    Images

Good to hear that there's not an outbreak like last year. I guess word got out rather quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    The middle of the bubble is in the south part of Shenandoah National Park, as johnnybgood says; the south end of it is nearing Atkins, VA and the north end of it is around Delaware Water Gap, PA. Any thru-hiker outside of that area is among the 15% of farthest along the trail or 15% of least far along when it comes to NOBO thru-hike completers, if this year is like past years.
    This might be about right. There is still a good number of hikers coming through town here.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Journal Entries
    Images

As of 6/7/14 thru hikers in the area of Buena Vista, VA to Waynesboro are at the thinnest numbers I have seen on the trail so far. There's a good handful of us but we have noticeably thinned out and I've been doing a lot of hiking while completely alone. The only reason I know there are thrus around me are because of shelter registers and catching up in town.

The Bubble courtesey of Google Maps

Bubble-map.jpg
    Last edited by Rolls Kanardly; 06-07-2014 at 13:25.
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

Basically, their spread out all over the place, with most in central Virginia.

I just got off the trail at Daleville the other day. I was in something of a void up till there, but the 100+ who left Trail days when I got on at Partnership were starting to catch up. A steady trickle of the faster hikers were passing me right along, but I was able to stay ahead of the bulk of the TD bubble which left Damascus. Those guys are likely mostly between Pearisburg and Daleville right now. Most of those I meet had started during the first two weeks of April and a couple in late March.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota Joe View Post
    #bubblecoddlers

DJ, good to hear from ya. I hope your hike is going well.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++