WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Common stove on the Train this year

I have been looking at different stoves. The past several years I have bought or made several, from alcohol stoves to white gas. My two favorites from each each class has always been the trangia mini and the MSR Whisperlite original. I recently purchased with my REI dividends the Jet Boil flash cooking system. Mostly to test it, write a review then send it back. With all the humbug on the net, I was curious what was up with this stove. Well, I love it. However, for thru-hike purposes, I still havnt boought into it yet as it weighs more than my Trangia. Albiet though th JEt Boil cooks much faster.

So what is the consensus on stoves this year on the trail. I can flip through all the journals on TJ, but that would take a while. So I thought I would post it here. And what is your favorite stove, and why?

E.
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

Pmags has done it all...

http://www.pmags.com/stove-comparison-real-world-use

I'm not aware of any particular new innovations or hot products this year... maybe I missed it?

Even though Pmags put up a good article, I must say it did not answer the question. Several years ago, the most common type was alcohol stoves, or it seemed by posts here and elsewhere. But year to year the trend changes. In 2009 when I did my hike from Springer to the Smokies I carried my little trangia, but the most common stove I saw was the caldera. I have not seen these since. In 2011 and on several of my weekend hikes last year I saw many Jetboils. So I am curious which direction we are going this year.

I am not looking for the best, as Pmags states, there is NONE! I am looking for what is common and what seems to be the trend.

E.
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

Journal Entries

One unexpected plus for the JB was not worrying about fuel resupply as that 100 (or 110)g canisters lasted forever. Much nicer to enter a trail town and not worry about finding fuel. Hiker boxes and ever shelter resupply made it last even longer.

Images

The best overall information source I've ever seen on backpacking stoves is here:

http://zenstoves.net/StoveChoices.htm

This being said, the page does NOT discuss the Jetboil, at least, when I read it last. Still, the concepts are all valid, like energy content, weights, etc, for the various stoves. The Jetboil is roughly 25% more fuel efficient than the MSR pocket rocket, so you can extrapolate from there. With due respect, you bought the wrong JB; the Sol is significantly lighter and a tad more efficient. Basically, my calculations and testing show that if you make multiple boils in a day and go more than a few days between resupply, the JB Sol is the most weight efficient stove system, plus incredibly easy and fast. Even given the low heat content of alcohol, if you only do a single boil a day and resupply often, PLUS you have patience, an alcohol setup is probably the best and lightest.

Well the bubble isn't nearly up here yet but the trail is starting to get busy with LT and section hikers and the occasional early thru. So far I'm observing a few less jetboils and more pocket rocket or alcohol this year relative to last, but that's just who I run into.

I just took delivery of an Optimus Vega and have only given it some initial testing but love it so far. Weighs as much as 2 pocket rockets (6oz and change) but the remote line lets you use a regular windscreen without risking an explosion and invert the canister to get a consistent flame in cold.

Trends come and go. Sometimes due to new designs that become available. Sometimes, just due to what's "popular".

You asked what I will be using and why. In my case, it's a DIY alcohol stove that is relatively new (at least new to me). As such, you probably won't see many (or any) other people using it yet. It's the eCHS stove. It is made from a single aluminum juice can. It is an unpressurized top burning stove (can't really fail, explode, etc). No priming necessary and it comes up to full speed in just a few seconds. It is reasonable powerful (boils 2 cups in 4 to 5 minutes) and very efficient (boils 2 cups with less than 15 mL fuel).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTp5...A305BB19EAB1C5

The other stove I like a lot is the Zelph Startlyte (with cap/no stand). It is equally simple, fool proof, and light. It is a little less powerful and efficient. Also power output drop as fuel runs out. But it has a spill proof wick, can be easily extinguished, and excess fuel saved for next time, which ultimately increases its efficiency as you don't have to burn off excess fuel, as you do with some alcohol stove designs.

Note that I am not thru hiking, but will doing a 6 day section hike this summer (not that it matters WRT my stove choice).

I love my MSR PocketRocket. I see them a lot on the trail. I would only use something different if I ended up making my own alcohol stove.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Some form of a canister stove seems the overall most popular stove. Be it for thruhiking or in general. Esp wth fire bans a regular occurrence in many places out West, alcohol stoves are losing their popularity. As to which canister stove is most popular? Some
    form of Jetboil or the MSR Pocket Rocket seem the 'winners'.
    Last edited by Mags; 05-29-2014 at 14:27.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I have seen alot of Jetboils out their so far this year, but i always use a MSR pocket rocket either one is a great stove.

As a section hiker down south here, my observations would say some type of Jetboil. I tend to use Esbit or a Snow Peak canister stove, depending on time of year, duration of hike, etc.

Journal Entries

I would have to say that I am sticking with an alcohol stave. The reason? I had been "burned twice" by canister stoves. I originally had a Gerry mini stove, and the fuel cans suddenly became unavailable. They I had a bluet. Same thing. I was going to buy one more, and then that fuel canister was gone. I'm sticking with alcohol. I'm not getting stuck again. I could go to the MSR, but white gas is really banned on transportation. For now you can use the stoves, but be ready.

re: fuel for canister stoves

The difference between the modern canister stoves and the ones you listed above is that the current batch of canister stoves do not use a proprietary canister. Snopeak, Jetboil, MSR and MANY others pretty much all use the standard Lindal valve at this point.

A Jetboil can use Jetboil, Coleman (found at Wally World), Snopeak and MSR canisters. And MSR can use all the same canisters. And so on.

I could be wrong, but I think it will be a loooong time before the Lindal valve standard goes away based on the sheer amount of stoves that use this canister type currently. It is not just one stove company, but many.
    Last edited by Mags; 05-30-2014 at 12:18.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

What's most popular may not be best for you. Consider all options
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

I'll have to vote for the supercat. Costs mere cents, built in pot stand, efficient, and weighs almost nothing. Plus you can find can in any store you walk into.

Another thought: People's stove loyalties often show a fanaticism most commonly seen in religious zealots and soccer hooligans. Take all opinions with a grain or ten of salt.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Another thought: People's stove loyalties often show a fanaticism most commonly seen in religious zealots and soccer hooligans. Take all opinions with a grain or ten of salt.
    Nah, I'm totally agnostic, have tried most kinds. I have a lot of respect for folks who use alky stoves effectively. Never did try Esbit tabs or a Caldera. I've done: Svea, two Whisperlites, Sierra Zip, Jetboil, now this...

Canister + Pocket Rocket just happens to be my current choice. Convenient, clean, hot, not too heavy, canisters easy to find along the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Right up there with knives and water treatment!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The Train that I was on last month had a wood burning potbelly stove

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn View Post
    The Train that I was on last month had a wood burning potbelly stove
    Did it have a fan?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++