WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Wheres everyone at!?

Im section hiking 900 miles NJ to ME, and I've been on the trail for about 5days now.I really haven't seen too many people, only day hikers really. Where would most of the north boundres and south blunders be on the trail at this time of the year? Right now I'm around high point,NJ and I'm hoping to fall in a group with other north bounders so I'm not alone all the time.

The first Southbounders are just starting, probably this weekend, then scattered over June and July. It'll be a month before they get out of Maine.

I start SOBO July 12!

You're still well ahead of most northbounders, and the southbounders are just barely underway (most start in June/July.)

Images

I ran into a NOBO today at the Wildcat shelter just north of the NJ/NY state line. He had started mid March...Said he's only taken 2 zeros and is on track to finish in July. There were quite a few what appeared to be section hikers going NOBO on the trail today as well.

Journal Entries
    Images

There must be a few Jackrabbits in NY, Ct. Hikers with that kind of speed usually are solo because of their pace.

Journal Entries
    Images

Been kinda wondering myself where the current year Jackrabbits are?

Images

Dakota Joe is well into Vermont

Darn, june/July? Won't be seeing them for a while. I hiked 18 miles today and didn't see a soul except for the rangers station. Kind of eerie at times. Good luck with your sobo!

Quote Originally Posted by Dreeeewk View Post
    Darn, june/July? Won't be seeing them for a while. I hiked 18 miles today and didn't see a soul except for the rangers station. Kind of eerie at times. Good luck with your sobo!
    That's really not uncommon. I mean, I've done lots of AT miles in incredibly solitary conditions, having shelters to myself night after night.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Dakota Joe is well into Vermont
    Along with the Good German.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Quote Originally Posted by Dreeeewk View Post
    Enjoy your peace in the wilderness. Keep hiking and you run into plenty of people. If nothing else the weekenders will be around.

Last week on the south end of PA I saw about a dozen NOBOs, one told me he had been 120ish at the ATC in HF. I would guess 'the pack' is still in VA.

Images

I'm following a few journals and they are scattered from New York down to just north of Damascus. The concentration seems to be northern VA right now.

Journal Entries

We did NJ southbound last week and saw maybe 25 NOBO thrus. Most of them started mid-Feb to early March. Saw them all within the first 2-3 days, then none until the church hostel at DWG, where we saw 5-6 more.
    Some neat coincidences:
    1. We met Cool Breeze in Unionville. Turns out he's from our hometown. Talked for a few minutes, and then he and my husband recognized each other from frequent visits to Lowe's where CB had been a cashier.
    2. We met Humble Pi, a SOBO section-hiker, who used to live in our hometown, and will be returning for the summer.
    3. With HP was a young man. We all shared a shelter with a group of 3 NOBOs, one of whom had gone to middle school in CT with HPs friend.
    Small world, as they say!

You are ahead of most of the NORTHBOUNDERS you might meet one or two but thats it, the leading edge of NOBO's are in PA and southern NJ.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    You are ahead of most of the NORTHBOUNDERS you might meet one or two but thats it, the leading edge of NOBO's are in PA and southern NJ.
    That's what I'm thinkin'. Especially considering the center of the wave was around Damascus just two weeks ago.

I've met northbounders in CT in mid/late June, I suspect they were among the leading edge.

Dakota Joe is already in Vermont? Wow, he's out there setting records when the naysayers said he wouldn't get out of Georgia....

Quote Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
    Dakota Joe is already in Vermont? Wow, he's out there setting records when the naysayers said he wouldn't get out of Georgia....
    I think that helps motivate him even more!

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I think that helps motivate him even more!
    I love when someone tells me you can't do it...oh really!

Quote Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
    I ran into Dakota Joe at a shelter south of Pearisburg in mid March. He was talking about doing a yo yo...If he is in VT already I'd say he has a chance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++