WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

you promised me I could pet the rabbit lenny

Default Beat the Camping Fee's in VT.

I know Everyone talks about the fee's you have to pay to stay on some "caretaker" supervised camping I avoid these places and stay at other places along the VT trail

GROUT POUND 1/2 mile passed the Stratton trailhead take grout pond rd. to the pond camping area It's free 20 sites a cabin a swiming pond, water leanto's FREE
    ( I worked for the forest service in the Green Mtn National Forrest so I know these things )

The Warm up Hut top of Stratton mtn. Go past fire tower towards ski area The owners let hikers sleep in the hut's open till oct. Stunning View from the deck outside

Mt Abe If your thu hiking to Canada You can stay here Heated, open in winter too.

Save your $ for gas you will need it
    M

Quote Originally Posted by Clamslayer
    I know Everyone talks about the fee's you have to pay to stay on some "caretaker" supervised camping I avoid these places and stay at other places along the VT trail

GROUT POUND 1/2 mile passed the Stratton trailhead take grout pond rd. to the pond camping area It's free 20 sites a cabin a swiming pond, water leanto's FREE
    ( I worked for the forest service in the Green Mtn National Forrest so I know these things )

The Warm up Hut top of Stratton mtn. Go past fire tower towards ski area The owners let hikers sleep in the hut's open till oct. Stunning View from the deck outside

Mt Abe If your thu hiking to Canada You can stay here Heated, open in winter too.

Save your $ for gas you will need it
    M
    Very good suggestions, if you don't have $5. If you do, the fee is well worth not having these beautiful places filled with garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    Very good suggestions, if you don't have $5. If you do, the fee is well worth not having these beautiful places filled with garbage.
    Exactly. These caretakers also do a lot of (sometimes hard) trail work. If you don't want to pay, or are on a budget, it's pretty easy to move on to the next site.

According to the current GMC website, the fee is $5.00 and there is no mention of paying for one site and getting a discount on others.

Quote Originally Posted by capt. photon View Post
    According to the current GMC website, the fee is $5.00 and there is no mention of paying for one site and getting a discount on others.
    Even though, it's true. If you are a GMC member and you keep your receipt at one fee site, the next fee site is free.

those caretaker sites are the best (and most popular) places to stay on your hike. Are you seriously going to avoid staying at Little Rock Pond (the finest swimming on the entire AT/LT, and the campsite is right on the pond!).

I really can't believe someone out backpacking for a weekend or several weeks truly can't swing a 5 or 6 dollar camping fee. This has to be the ultimate in cheapness.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    Even though, it's true. If you are a GMC member and you keep your receipt at one fee site, the next fee site is free.
    No need to be a member, just a thru hiker. Pay for one and you get a free stay at the others. But it seems running into a caretaker these days is a bit of hit or miss. Back in 1989 as a GMC caretaker, I only got to collect $2.00. I got to keep the camping fees, along with getting a small stipend. Made just about enough to buy food...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++