WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default 2014 Hike questions from first time

1) llilouette Falls - how far is it from Happy isles? (I plan to start @ Happy Isles, friend has permit for llilouette Falls. What would be our best option to meetup on the trail and start together?

2) VVR and MTR, I plan to re-supply there, without mailing myself anything. Dooes VVR and MTR sell enough supplies to last me the rest of the trip? Do they sell mountain house meals, nuts, trail mixes, etc?

3) Through-pass. If I wait in line nice and early - do I get it for the same day or next day hike?

4) Does the permit include Half-dome? I'd like to make that stop. If it doesnt, whats the best way to get additional half-dome permit?

The Illilouette permit is actually not for camping anywhere near the falls but along the Illilouette Creek drainage past the orange arrow shown on the Yosemite trailhead map (Trailead 1C on the map): http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisi...trailheads.pdf

If you are hiking with a friend who already has the Happy Isles or Glacier Point to Illilouette permit, your best bet to stay together is to also try for an Illilouette Permit. If you end up with a different permit, like for Little Yosemite Valley, the solution to meet up would be to stick around at the LYV campground the following morning until your friend can hike to that point from Illilouette Creek. Meet up at Little Yosemite Valley and then hike on from there. The permit only specifies the first night's campsite. From that point on you can hike together and camp at any legal location.

I have never been to VVR but my understanding is that they do sell food there but most people send a box. At VVR, the cost for a maildrop isn't too high. I believe it is $20. So you might want to just send a box to be sure. MTR does not sell food although there is a very small store with a few items. If you want to resupply there you need to send a bucket and pay the $60 fee, or hope for enough food in the hiker barrels. When I was there last year in early September, there was a lot of food in the hiker barrels so it seemed possible to resupply in that way if you aren't too particular. Unless you are staying at MTR as a guest (which I did), there are no services there --- no restaurant meals, showers, or bathrooms. But I recommend MTR especially if you can stay there for a night.

Walk up permits can be for the same day or following day. It really depends. I had a reservation last year but changed to a better walk up permit when I walked into the permit office in the mid afternoon with no line at all. Most people without a reservation are probably best off standing in line in the morning and being flexible.

Half dome permit is not included unless you get one in conjunction with a reserved wilderness permit. You'll have to try your luck when getting a walk in. They DO check permits on half dome so don't attempt it without a permit since you will be turned back and possibly fined.

In case you haven't seen this page yet it answers many of your questions:

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildpermits.htm
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Journal Entries

If you want to start together, try to get walk-up permits together. You should be able to get 2 somewhere.
    Illilouette permits arent that desireable because they can waste a day hanging around. Most people would be trying for a better permit at the time they pick theirs up anyway.

VVR and MTR are not good places to buy a resupply. MTR doesn't really have anything for non-guests and the selection at VVR is very limited and expensive. Its better to mail a box. If it was me, I'd resupply at Red's Meadow/Mammoth Lakes and then go over Kearsarge Pass into Independence rather then doing MTR. The last time I went to VVR, I ended up spending $116 for the day I spent there. Good food but its expensive.

Journal Entries

Can half dome permit be obtained at the same place/time as through-hike permit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

And is fishing license required for jmt?

Journal Entries

Another question. Is mammoth lakes the best place to fly to and out of? How does one get from Whitney portal to Mammoth lakes Airport?

You could fly into Reno if you wish. There is limited bus service along the 395. http://www.estransit.com/CMS/
    The Yarts bus services Yosemite from both east and west. http://www.yarts.com/schedules.html

Journal Entries

more questions (absorbing everything)

1) Can one get in line and pick up 2 permits (2nd for a friend who would be arriving next day or later in the day)?

2) What are logistics of doing Half dome and Cloud's rest (before JMT/part of/etc)?

Quote Originally Posted by verysimple View Post
    And is fishing license required for jmt?

Know the fishing regs. Most of the area's up there are special reg area's.

Journal Entries

Do resupply stations allow charging of your devices? Do they have power outlets available and are they free?
    Particularty Mammoth lakes post office, VVR, Red Meadow, JM Ranch

MTR has a power strip in the resupply ares. I'm not sure about the other locations.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

The restaurant at Red's Meadow has outlets you can use while you are eating.

Journal Entries

Day 1 is planned.
    Start: Happy Isles
    Half Dome, then Cloud's rest..

Don't want to backtrack or be forced to sleep @ LYV night 1.
    1) What do I ask for when I get walk in permit and walk to keep walking after Cloud's rest and sleep further down the trail somewhere..
    2) What's a good spot for night 1? (Cloud's rest junction?)

Journal Entries

Day 1 is planned.
    Start: Happy Isles
    Half Dome, then Cloud's rest..

Don't want to backtrack or be forced to sleep @ LYV night 1.
    1) What do I ask for when I get walk in permit and want to keep walking after Cloud's rest and sleep further down the trail somewhere..
    2) What's a good spot for night 1? (Cloud's rest junction?)

I hiked the JMT in 2011. Starting locations don't really matter as long as you plan to go past Little Yosemite Valley. Happy Isles sees like 20,000 people a day and it paved! There are no rangers that check to see if you are starting in the right spot. Even if you have a happy isles permit and your friend has Illouette Falls Permit, both of you can stay at the backpackers camp and leave at Happy Isles.

As long as you have a wilderness permit you will most likely be offered a halfdome permit. It is separate from the regular lottery that day hikers have to try and get. If you don't get a half dome permit, you could always try going up. When I went up there were a lot of people that turned around before the checkpoint at the base of sub-dome and were giving others their permits.

Clouds Rest Junction is a good place to camp. There is a lot of open areas there and there is a really good spot just past the junction, just look down the hill on your right and you'll see it through the trees.

I resupplied at Tuolumne Meadows, Reds Meadow, VVR, and over Kearsarge Pass to Independence (my parents drove up to the trail head so I didn't have to hitch.) Red's and VVR you can charge electronics for free. I didn't try at Muir Trail Ranch but if you stay there, they probably wouldn't have a problem. I have heard that they weren't very kind to hikers who didn't stay there, but my experience was pleasant with the staff.

I wouldn't count on resupplying at VVR or MTR. Supplies are very limited, but both places have drop boxes.

It's an awesome hike. Hopefully you don't have as much snow as I did. (it was a record winter, and I went in mid july. Think 6 miles of snow on Muir Pass!)

Good Luck!

Journal Entries

Thank you.. Very detailed and helpful

++ New Posts ++