WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

The problem with not finding a rhythm, I think, is just that :concentrating in finding a rhythm.I think that it is a bit like acting.
    Anyone can walk and talk, drink a cup of coffee , cross a room and say : hi John, how have you been ? yet point a camera and suddenly those things become very difficult to do naturally.
    So my advice is not to think at all on how to use them when using them, just walk .
    BTW, look down at your feet when you walk paying attention where you put each foot and you will probably trip over. (this is on a flat trail at a good pace, not climbing...)
    Same thing...

Images

I have a friend who uses his poles 100 percent differently than I do.

To me they are there as much for balance than anything else...........you NEVER KNOW when that slip or fall is coming, even on flat ground. (Ankle Rolls)

A few years ago I watched a You Tube video and saw how to use the straps on your wrists to really catapult yourself forward. Done right you can really get some speed going.............even ME which is saying a lot.

Journal Entries
    Images

About 5 minutes. And I did not give any creedence to how to use them right or wrong other then the grip. I did/do what is comfortable to me. I really enjoy them especially on downhill. I can go much faster on downhill with them. I think I probably go uphill faster also because of their help and they give my arms a good workout.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

If you don't use fell like your poles are useful on flat ground, then you're probably planting them too far ahead of you.
    Awwww. Fat Mike, too?

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by shakey_snake View Post
    If you don't use fell like your poles are useful on flat ground, then you're probably planting them too far ahead of you.

Thats a good idea. I'll try to set my iPhone up and record myself walking by with my poles to see how it looks, when I get a chance on my next outing.
    Me: Ricky
    Husky: Jack
    Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.
    From Dalton, Georgia (65 mi above Altanta, 15mi south of Chattanooga)

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I find I do the "correct" thing of using opposite-side poles only when tooling along on nearly level ground or powering up a moderate slope.

On a steep, or even moderate downhill, I wind up double-poling the big steps to spare whichever knee is taking the impact. On even steeper stuff, the poles get stowed to leave my hands free for scrambling or switch to an ice axe. I can do that in seconds because I zip-tied mitten hooks onto my poles and threaded a D ring onto a strap on my backpack. The routine is, "collapse poles, stick tips (upward!) into a gear loop, swing them around so the loop holds the baskets, and clip onto a D-ring."

I find it's important to get the wrist straps adjusted right - and learn to use them correctly, too. Your hands go in from underneath, and then grab both straps downward. When your hands are on the grips, both straps should come up the palm of your hand, with the loop snug around the back of your wrist. That way, you can lean into your poles without having to grip them at all, just steer them a little with your fingers. And the straps looping under means that when you open your hands, you've got a loose strap to pull your hand out. I'm not afraid that I'll be stuck to my poles in a fall.

If the poles are adjusted to the right length (most novices set them too long) and the wrist straps are right, the natural swing of your arms when walking puts the poles where they need to be. If you're finding that you lengthen stride uncomfortably with the poles, you probably either have them too long, have them in a death grip, or have the wrist straps on inside out (which looks more natural than doing it right).

Caveat lector: Several hikers here who are a lot more experienced than I am - Lone Wolf in particular - say that you don't need poles at all, ever, and they're simply excess weight. I think their knees are better than mine.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Yah, I think the important take-away message here is: no one says you HAVE to use poles. Well, some people do, but what do they know? HYOH. I was never into the trekking pole thing. I started a SOBO thru with some Gossamer Gear UL poles. I snapped one of them the first day I used it on a river crossing! 50 miles later (in the 100mile wilderness), I sprained the hell outta my ankle! So, I used the one pole remaining, essentially as a crutch to spare excess weight on the bad ankle. I got a pair of Leki's in the first town I hit. I consistently used the poles through the rest of ME and NH. Once I hit VT and the trail was, well, actually a trail instead of an obstacle course, I carried them! I carried them all the way to Southern VA when I hit Rodger's and Roan and there was snow/ice on the top climbs. After that, I used them maybe a few more times throughout the rest of the trail. Poles are great when used properly and if they're needed. I can't tell you how many people I've seen with them set to the wrong length, barely planting them when they're walking, and almost just dragging them behind...

I would say watch some youtube videos on how to properly lengthen the poles. Your elbows should form right angles. Also see how to use the straps properly, if you choose to use them. I think there is some merit to the argument for/against them. But if you are using them, wrap them so the downward force of your arm pulls the poles into your hand. It allows you to NOT need a death grip. You don't have to learn some crazy rhythm. Yes, it's like canes/crutches/walkers. There is a method to use them in such a way that it reduces the forces on your lower extremities. But you should not be changing your natural gait to accommodate them. Any time you make changes to your natural gait, you're going to stress muscles and joints in a different manner which could lead to soreness/injury. Think of them as an extension of your arms and practice with them. After carrying the poles for so long, it felt awkward to try and use them again. I did it anyways cause slipping on ice sucks! Probably the greatest benefit of poles is the increase in stability because you have more points on the ground, and lightening the force exerted on your knees during down hill treks. Hope this helps, but like I said, adding in poles and finding your pace with them does take time...but, if you find they're not beneficial, then don't stress out about it. Also, if you're husky is on a leash, you may benefit from using just one pole as a stabilizer instead of 2 poles plus 1 dog!

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

Other than minimizing it and storing it in your pack, or using a caribeaner to hang it wilding from your pack.... Is there a way to store or keep the poles handy? Like, does anyone attach it to their hip/leg so its always within reach without having to stop and grab from your pack etc?

Anybody have any pics of how they "store" their poles on stretches where its not in your hand?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky&Jack View Post
    Other than minimizing it and storing it in your pack, or using a caribeaner to hang it wilding from your pack.... Is there a way to store or keep the poles handy? Like, does anyone attach it to their hip/leg so its always within reach without having to stop and grab from your pack etc?

Anybody have any pics of how they "store" their poles on stretches where its not in your hand?
    Depends on your pack. The ULA Airx, Catalyst, CDT, Circuit all have straps for poles. I am sure that other packs do as well, I am just more familiar with the ULA line. HYOH
    Blackheart

Most internal frame packs have compression straps that can be used to hold (collapsed) poles when not in use. That's true of both of my Granite Gear packs.

It's not like the transition from pole-using to not-pole-using happens multiple times per day. The most common occasion is arriving at a trailhead with intent to hitch into town, or vice versa.

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

Oh, Okay. Cause I know it's nearly impossible to "ninja" it on your back and grab it at a moments notice like a sword.... I guess you are right. Either you need it for a while, or you don't. Not switching every few minutes or so.

Oh, Okay. Cause I know it's nearly impossible to "ninja" it on your back and grab it at a moments notice like a sword.... I guess you are right. Either you need it for a while, or you don't. Not switching every few minutes or so.
    There are some in-between moments where you either wished you had 'em or wish you didn't. Like coming upon a short steep section. So there are ways of dealing with it...

-- throw the poles ahead (up or down the hill) and then use hands/feet as required
    -- dangle the poles from wrists by the straps, use hands/feet as required

Beyond that it's just a matter of deciding whether it's worth the bother to switch from poled to pole-less. I'm reading a diary now (300 Zeros) where the dude claims to have a really quick and efficient pole-stashing system.

I don't have editing capabilities here but I feel compelled to add: when I encounter a ladder, or rebar in a steep rock face, I always stash the poles. (Stiles don't count as ladders in this regard.) Maybe that's just me.

It took me about four steps to get used to my trekking poles, fall in love with them, and decide to never go on another hike without at least one. I usually only have one out if I'm on flat land or in very rocky, scrambling areas. If there is a steady incline, two it is. I don't understand how certain hikers go without them.

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

after creating this thread, I used my poles on a flat 4mile, round trip hike. I was completely comfortable.

I think when i first tried poles, I was dumb and tried to use them every step and I ended up feeling like an orangoutang or "Jimmy" from South park using his arm crutches.

Now I could take several steps before putting the poles down.

I'm quickly finding my rhythm. It just took you guys telling me "try different methods"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++