WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    If you want juice, bring a freaking battery. This solar stuff is just BS at this point in time.

Like or not. You are just disqualified, any further dialouge, you are sloppy.

I like it, then we can use the power from the solar panels and make a 2189 mile electric walkway like at the airport. You could just stand there and watch the miles roll by..... Man just think about it, 2100 miles and never break a sweat !! maybe we can replace the shelters with Holiday INN's or something with a Starbucks!!!! also need either ihop or waffle house (for the poor hikers), I like a good breakfast!!!! maybe they can set up cameras like at Six Flags so when you are going down hill on the electric walkway you can get a shot of yourself and show all your friends how hardcore you are, charge a small fee.......... man the endless possibilities to completely stupid ideas !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by July View Post
    Like or not. You are just disqualified, any further dialouge, you are sloppy.
    Translation aisle 7 please.

I am a realist. I had to check if this thread was in the humor section.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Some rodent probably just chew the wires anyway.
    Let no one be deluded that a knowledge of the path can substitute for putting one foot in front of the other.
    —M. C. Richards

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by chiefiepoo View Post
    How about just enough power to heat the privy seats?

Quote Originally Posted by chiefiepoo View Post
    or G.W. Hayduke will do some monkeywrenching

Maintenance? It seems that there is seldom resources to address basic repairs such as roofing. It would appear that maintenance is "deferred" until such time that the shelters become so dilapidated as to need replacement. It just seems a heroic assumption that solar systems would receive any type of repair/maintenance. I would also concur with the vandalism aspect. It just seems that: a) there are far too many people who would want to damage such equipment simply because it's there, and b) there is enough feeling that the backcountry is not the place for electronics that there might be an inclination to act on that belief by "disabling" solar equipment. Maybe, it has it's place in some arenas, but I would offer that suggesting solar equipment for the shelters makes a assumption about people's level of care/concern that just doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    or G.W. Hayduke will do some monkeywrenching
    The ghost of Ed Abbey walks these hills lookin for injustices to correct, see's a solar panel, and a microwave antennae atop a shelter and says...eeew wha.

Prolly wouldn't be to long before some #%&? placed a bulls eye on said gadgets and filled it full of buck shot, like every other back woods road sign complete with red nose rain deer and hangie down.

...civil disobedience....perhaps?
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 05-22-2014 at 07:23.

Even though panels are quite cheap these days, I expect the moron factor is going make them short lived. Unfortunately, unless you want to install a battery and charge controller, the panels output is going to track with the sun. Most hikers are at shelters in the early morning or late afternoon with no one there during most of the day. So when folks want juice, the panels are tapering down. If you go the charge controller and battery route, you then have a more attractive item to steal. The FS in the Whites has solar panels at several of their off grid campground to run the fans in their outhouses and folks stole them. Almost all panels are made from glass so even if they aren't stolen, they most likely will get smashed. If it is available I expect that in the evening the batteries will be drained dry which is rough way to run a battery.

AMC has panels in the whites but they also have paid hut crew to run the systems and keep an eye on them.

IMO the panels might work at AMC style huts & tent platforms, and attended LT huts like Butler. Or at a few select AT shelters, the really grandiose ones - like Bryant Ridge, or Peters Mountain.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Even though panels are quite cheap these days, I expect the moron factor is going make them short lived. Unfortunately, unless you want to install a battery and charge controller, the panels output is going to track with the sun. Most hikers are at shelters in the early morning or late afternoon with no one there during most of the day. So when folks want juice, the panels are tapering down. If you go the charge controller and battery route, you then have a more attractive item to steal. The FS in the Whites has solar panels at several of their off grid campground to run the fans in their outhouses and folks stole them. Almost all panels are made from glass so even if they aren't stolen, they most likely will get smashed. If it is available I expect that in the evening the batteries will be drained dry which is rough way to run a battery.

AMC has panels in the whites but they also have paid hut crew to run the systems and keep an eye on them.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    IMO the panels might work at AMC style huts & tent platforms, and attended LT huts like Butler. Or at a few select AT shelters, the really grandiose ones - like Bryant Ridge, or Peters Mountain.
    And This

Solar efficiency is low enough in full sun let alone in partial shade, unless of course the maintaining clubs are going to cut down more trees around the shelters to keep the panels in the sun. Tracking would require a motor, otherwise efficiency will tail off even further. And batteries and charge controllers are tempting items to cart off.

That said, you could find a way to secure all of this but with no one checking regularly (i.e. every couple of days) it's just too easy to de-secure it. And the efficiency at this time just wouldn't justify it in imho.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

If small(3x6) solar panals were fixed to the top arch of the shelters they would not get stolen, they would not have to have a full time maintainer, everything would be ooookaay. If you dont like electronics in the woods then dont use them. I dont even think that the canopy of the dense forrest would prevent attmittance of UV. Now, here are issues that i see with this:

Just like how we have brooms and shovels and grill grids at shelters now, now we have electrical components as well. Iphone chargers left behind, those long power plug ins surge protectors, extension cords.

As well we have the conern of have electricity and wiring in primitive places, being a firemans son I see an issue with possible fire issues for sure. Mouse chews through wire, sparks, fire. forest fire. "woof" goes the woods so little johnny can charge his game boy.

my 2 cents
    Trail Miles: 4,992.0
    AT Map 1: Completed 13-21'
    Sheltowee Trace: Completed 20-23'
    Pinhoti Trail: Completed 23-24'
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    GSMNP900: 134.7(16.8%)
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

Interesting thought, and despite all the negative comments about "the pristine woods" and all that, I like it in concept.

Let's see, what percentage of us have our phones and cameras on the trail, 98% or so???? I bet it's at least mid 90's%. I carry extra batteries for my phone, easily replaceable so not an issue for myself, but lots of folks carry IPhones or droids w/o interchangeable batteries, meaning yet another reason to head into town to charge up. If there were more places to charge up on the trail, potentially less trips into a town, hence a MORE "remote and pristine experience" (given that the vast majority DO carry phones, etc). I sure heard a lot of comments about needing to get into town to charge their electronics.

So, yes the number one issue would be vandalism, but a solid metal box containing a modest storage battery with a few USB ports, along with metal conduit up to the modest sized panel bolted thoroughly to the roof might just work, at least for a lot of the shelters (plenty of sunlight on a lot of the shelters' roofs). Not a stupid idea at all, though yeah, vandalism is very prevalent along the AT, so that's the biggie of course.

Setting aside electric solar panels for charging electronics and cell phones -- solar hot water showers are already in place at one or two AT facilities, eg. Blackburn Trail Center in MD (again a "manned" facility.)

iPhones do NOT require more stops in towns. It is common knowledge to carry an external battery which will charge the phone multiple times.

This solar idea for shelters is just dumb. There isn't a problem that needs fixin'.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    iPhones do NOT require more stops in towns. It is common knowledge to carry an external battery which will charge the phone multiple times.

This solar idea for shelters is just dumb. There isn't a problem that needs fixin'.
    That's your opinion, please respect others'. Calling others' ideas "dumb" is disrespectful. External charges are heavy, but sure, an option for some.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    That's your opinion, please respect others'. Calling others' ideas "dumb" is disrespectful. External charges are heavy, but sure, an option for some.
    Well it IS my opinion that it is dumb. Please don't disrespect MY opinion. :-)

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

The other point that needs to be mentioned is that within the next 5-10 years improvements in battery technology will likely remove the need for frequent charging. So just wait a while and this will be a non-issue (This is based on an NPR tech story I heard a little while back, sorry i don't have a link)
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

why don't we run water and sewer to the shelters so we can have real toilets ? I mean im sure most people would rather crap on a real toilet then in a privy ! and why wouldn't it be easier for someone carry a external charger?? they have ones now that can charge your iPhone 7 or 8 times and only weigh 1.5 to 2 pounds! like Chinmusic said its a dumb idea.

I mean if we are going to dumb ideas, I say 50 inch plasmas, direct TV (with NFL package, of course) in each shelter !!! NEVER have to miss your favorite shows or big games ever again !!!

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

While I wouldn't necessarily use the term "dumb," the problem with this, to me, is the cost/benefit of current solar cell technology versus battery technology in this application. Given canopy cover, it just seems like the efficiency of the panel would be reduced to the point of being marginal at best. Perhaps someone with an engineering background can hop on and educate us on the feasibility of a solar application in a heavily wooded application. That would eliminate our opinions and armchair science and focus the discussion on whether or not this could realistically work or would be money poorly invested at this time.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++