WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Around and about...

Default Where to leave auto for section hike btw Carver's Gap and Laurel Fork Approach Trail

Planning section hike from Carver's Gap to Laurel Fork Approach Trail. I'm curious about the safety at both ends, and curious if one end or the other is a preferred/safer place to park.

Carver's Gap: (36.1065077, -82.1104008)
    Laurel Fork Approach Trail: 1057 U.S. 321 Scenic, Hampton, TN 37658

Maybe there is a third option, or better option, e.g. outfitter/hostel close by to give shuttle to/from trailhead, but I typically like to hike toward the car. However, I also like to leave the car in a safe spot.

Thanks a ton for any feedback and insights.

I have parked at Carver's Gap many times. It is safe. Another good option is Mountain Harbor Hostel. You can park there and get a shuttle for a fee. The Laurel Fork area is not a good option. There have been many reports of vandalism to cars there and overnight parking is not recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by cutter View Post
    I have parked at Carver's Gap many times. It is safe. Another good option is Mountain Harbor Hostel. You can park there and get a shuttle for a fee. The Laurel Fork area is not a good option. There have been many reports of vandalism to cars there and overnight parking is not recommended.

Agree. I would, however, park in one of the spaces along the road at Carver's Gap (high visibility--traffic coming by) rather than in the parking lot behind a stand of bushes and trees (hidden from view) Have a great hike!
    "Pips"

i parked 2 nights at 321 (rental car). i got a shuttle back to Hwy 19e. there is a big state park right there at 321, if i recall correctly.

You could get dropped off at shook branch, go over pond flats and down to laurel falls. Have your car parked at carvers gap it will be fine up there
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

++ New Posts ++